MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   noisy pulleys and water pump (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/542618-noisy-pulleys-water-pump.html)

cheftony53 05-18-2014 05:52 PM

noisy pulleys and water pump

Anyone with advise? thanks

Plutoe 05-19-2014 07:36 AM

I would not worry about asking everyone the question--"noisy pulleys and water pump--any one with advise" because this is a very philosophical question.

Think of it this way, to some folks noise is good--they can party, dance and drink to the noise. To others noise is not good and they will beat their car till the noise stops or shoot their guns in the air or pray and extra time or sacrifice a goat or ride an elephant to get the noise to stop.

Therefore get ready for all sorts of responses!!

My advice is to leave it alone, why spend the time to determine what is causing the noise and fix, when left alone,in a short time the pump will freeze up, the belt snaps off and the pulleys will fall off and the noise will be gone---problem solved!!

beemer guy 05-21-2014 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cheftony53 (Post 6046066)
Anyone with advise? thanks

Advice?

N_Jay 05-21-2014 01:22 PM

They are here all week, Try the lamb, Tip your waitress.

How noisy?
What seems to be making the noise?

boardboy330 05-21-2014 01:33 PM

What makes you think it's the water pump or pulley as compared to the high pressure pump on the front of the motor?

vettdvr 05-22-2014 09:05 AM

150000 miles change tensioner, idlers, water pump, hoses and coolant.

The MB idler pulley bearing has marked "made in China" on the shield when you open it up.

N_Jay 05-22-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6049943)
150000 miles change tensioner, idlers, water pump, hoses and coolant.

The MB idler pulley bearing has marked "made in China" on the shield when you open it up.

When I did my thermostat I figured I would change the idlers at the same time since something we making a touch of noise.

Turned out the idlers felt fine, but the tensioner was not as smooth feeling. (Of course that was the part I did not have on hand).

Too bad you can not just buy the wheel and bearing, like the idlers.

vettdvr 05-22-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by N_Jay (Post 6049950)
When I did my thermostat I figured I would change the idlers at the same time since something we making a touch of noise.

Turned out the idlers felt fine, but the tensioner was not as smooth feeling. (Of course that was the part I did not have on hand).

Too bad you can not just buy the wheel and bearing, like the idlers.

The pivot bolt that doesn't have a pulley wears out and causes misalignment is why you replace the unit.

N_Jay 05-22-2014 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6050399)
The pivot bolt that doesn't have a pulley wears out and causes misalignment is why you replace the unit.

Ah, maybe MB's way of not letting us do dumb things.

AMGAffalterbach 05-26-2014 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6049943)

This was my cause of noise, the disc is also made of plastic surrounding the bearing and can crack & break leaving you stranded over an $18 part. I replaced the idler pulley in mine and didn't have any more bad noise.

The only "noise" now comes from the exhaust. The music of my people. Or from inside the car. When it's packed with attractive young women. Which is always.