MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Brake Service and SBC (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/542726-brake-service-sbc.html)

Stuttgarten 05-19-2014 04:21 PM

Brake Service and SBC

I am planning to change my rear brake pads, down to 20%. I plan to have them done by a family friend who has worked on many cars, mainly BMWs, but has not done one with SBC brakes. I do not have access to STAR

Besides unplugging SBC Plug, is there anything else one should disconnect to deactivate SBC Unit?

Now, could the pads get changed after we unplug the SBC plug without triggering problem codes? :confused:

beejAMG 05-19-2014 05:51 PM

there's a lot of thread about brake DIYs here, but basically, after you unplug the SBC, you're good to go. try to do some search for more detailed info.

Plutoe 05-20-2014 09:04 AM

Yes when you do something as ridiculous as unplug the SBC you will get a fault---now you need someone with DAS Xentry to clear the fault----so now you are back to square one without injuring ones self---pay me now or pay me later

vettdvr 05-20-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 6047688)
Yes when you do something as ridiculous as unplug the SBC you will get a fault---now you need someone with DAS Xentry to clear the fault----so now you are back to square one without injuring ones self---pay me now or pay me later

I never got a fault when I did mine. I locked the car, moved the key fob out of range, unplugged the SBC then did the job.

On start up, before turning on the key I depress the brake pedal so when the key is turned on the sbc activates and applies pressure to seat the pads.

I never had an issue. I always used new sensors. The sensor is just copper wire in plastic. It is possible to drive without a sensor if you dont' have one by connecting the sensor wires together. Granted you won't have the warning and I recommend new sensor but you could do it if you were caught with the wrong part and had to use the car.

beejAMG 05-20-2014 10:25 PM

as per vettdvr's advice before I worked on my brakes a few months back...never had any issues as well. i guess its not advisable to unplug the SBC but its not the worse thing as well if you do it right. if you dont have access to DAS Xentry and want to save a few hundreds and dont mind gettin your hands dirty...

Ray_G 05-21-2014 09:23 AM

I have done the ridiculous thing twice now. Once on my wife's car and once on mine. I unplugged the SBC, performed the brake service and plugged it back in. No fault code. Of course I would not turn the key on with the unit disconnected. The Mercedes brakes are pretty easy to do.

Stuttgarten 05-21-2014 11:59 AM

I appreciate feedback given. It looks like it has been done by just unplugging SBC without getting default codes. Well, it will be worked on this Sat. Got another SBC question: Is it easy to just pull out SBC Plug, no special tool needed?

So I will report back after finishing. Stay Tuned!

Stuttgarten 05-21-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6047693)
On start up, before turning on the key I depress the brake pedal so when the key is turned on the sbc activates and applies pressure to seat the pads

But if you open door to get in to press brake pedal, SBC will automatically activate and pads will seat themselves, before I had a chance to press pedal? Would you please clarify!

vettdvr 05-22-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sttutgarten (Post 6049196)
But if you open door to get in to press brake pedal, SBC will automatically activate and pads will seat themselves, before I had a chance to press pedal? Would you please clarify!

that is what you want to happen the system pressure will build in the accumulator for pads to seat. When you turn the key on the system will be charged and pedal depressed / pads seat and all should be normal when the computers come on line and you should have normal pedal.

Stuttgarten 05-23-2014 12:23 PM

Once you unplug SBC unit, could you start working on brakes right away, or do you have to give it time for calipers to disengage?

vettdvr 05-24-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sttutgarten (Post 6051176)
Once you unplug SBC unit, could you start working on brakes right away, or do you have to give it time for calipers to disengage?

I started after unplugging the sbc no wait.

Buelligan 05-26-2014 04:13 PM

I've unplugged the SBC on two occasions with no issues or trouble codes on my 2005 E500. No waiting and the brake pistons were easy to push back in.

Stuttgarten 05-28-2014 12:46 AM

Well, I wanna report back and say all went well without a hitch. Unplugged SBC was very easily done and work was completed in over an hour! And after all was said and done, NO CODES came on!

vettdvr 05-28-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sttutgarten (Post 6055124)
Well, I wanna report back and say all went well without a hitch. Unplugged SBC was very easily done and work was completed in over an hour! And after all was said and done, NO CODES came on!

:y