MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Front Suspension Noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/547748-front-suspension-noise.html)

Stuttgarten 07-03-2014 07:21 PM

Front Suspension Noise

I recently changed my lower strut arms and ball joints. A couple of days ago, I started hearing like a low but noticeable squeaking noise coming from under car's front. Yesterday, after I arrived home and as I was getting out, easing my body weight out, you could hear the squeaky noise. sort of like a stress noise.

EDIT: It appears noise is now constant as long as car is moving. While parked, I pushed down over the left fender and it squeaked briefly, VERY PUZZLING!

It sounds like the springs on a day bed when they are pushed. What could be causing this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

vettdvr 07-06-2014 08:43 AM

ball joints

despicable merc 07-06-2014 03:23 PM

Ball Joints. You can jack the car up and shake the wheel inside and out if it moves then it's differently ball joints. Easy job local guy will take $150.

But since you've replaced them it is puzziling

jimbo1763 07-06-2014 04:35 PM

I had a similar noise that replacing the upper ball joints took care of.

LemonSqueezy 07-07-2014 01:05 AM

I definitely had the same squeaky noise and it was ball joints for me. It annoyed the hell out of me whenever I had my windows down.

Stuttgarten 07-07-2014 04:12 PM

Well, I have not had a chance to take off wheel to test for play. But this morning, I pushed the vehicle level control button to the raised level, behind shifter, and the noise is gone. It would be interesting to push it down to lower level and see if noise comes back! I'll try it on my way home this evening.

I recently changed the lower ball joints, not the uppers!

jimbo1763 07-07-2014 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten (Post 6094643)
Well, I have not had a chance to take off wheel to test for play. But this morning, I pushed the vehicle level control button to the raised level, behind shifter, and the noise is gone. It would be interesting to push it down to lower level and see if noise comes back! I'll try it on my way home this evening.

I recently changed the lower ball joints, not the uppers!

I had replaced my lower joints earlier, but the symptoms were different. I didn't get a squeak on the lower ones, but I surely did on the uppers. And not an expensive job at all (relatively speaking, of course!).

despicable merc 07-07-2014 10:25 PM

Damn, Now i got that Noise!!!

I pushed down over the left fender and it squeaked briefly

But mine has on the right side. mine doesn't squeak but make stress noise like a bad spring.

vettdvr 07-08-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6095052)
Damn, Now i got that Noise!!!

I pushed down over the left fender and it squeaked briefly

But mine has on the right side. mine doesn't squeak but make stress noise like a bad spring.

You must have parked too close to another Mb and yours wasn't vaccinated. :smash:

despicable merc 07-08-2014 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6095355)
You must have parked too close to another Mb and yours wasn't vaccinated. :smash:

Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out.. sprayed some lube.. shacked the car up down... turn the wheels left to right:zoom:... lifted it up and down.. walked around car one by one making faces :nix: :confused:... and suddenly it went away by itself :):):):)

vettdvr 07-08-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6095521)
Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out.. sprayed some lube.. shacked the car up down... turn the wheels left to right:zoom:... lifted it up and down.. walked around car one by one making faces :nix: :confused:... and suddenly it went away by itself :):):):)

Mechanical issues don't hide, they only become difficult to find.

If you have looked everywhere for the problem can't find anything and haven't repaired anything. It's still there you just haven't looked in the right place.

Stuttgarten 07-08-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6095521)

I lowered the car using vehicle lowering button, and all is well now. I'm speechless guys. What happened? It was squeaking like you know what, I did not do anything, other than raise and lower suspension using that button below shifter and now all is well, GO FIGURE! :zoom:

despicable merc 07-08-2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6095863)
Mechanical issues don't hide, they only become difficult to find.

If you have looked everywhere for the problem can't find anything and haven't repaired anything. It's still there you just haven't looked in the right place.

I looked there by myself there's nothing wrong.. The bushing probably dried out.

despicable merc 07-08-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten (Post 6095961)
I lowered the car using vehicle lowering button, and all is well now. I'm speechless guys. What happened? It was squeaking like you know what, I did not do anything, other than raise and lower suspension using that button below shifter and now all is well, GO FIGURE! :zoom:

Exactly... Well let's hope it stays that way... Lol!

Stuttgarten 07-12-2014 07:39 PM

Well, here's a new development regarding the front suspension noise. I took car in today for an alignment at Firestone and mentioned the noise issue, to which SA said they would check. After alignment was done, he told me noise is coming from left air shock.

Now, there is nothing to show trouble other than that squeak, does that mean the shock has to be changed, I mean these monsters are no simple task to do. Not sure how to proceed here!

despicable merc 07-13-2014 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten (Post 6100681)
Well, here's a new development regarding the front suspension noise. I took car in today for an alignment at Firestone and mentioned the noise issue, to which SA said they would check. After alignment was done, he told me noise is coming from left air shock.

Now, there is nothing to show trouble other than that squeak, does that mean the shock has to be changed, I mean these monsters are no simple task to do. Not sure how to proceed here!

nahh, those are easy to replace.. You can do it yourself! Or buy them online and btw you need to replace both of them even thought you need only one. I replaced my rear shock a couple of weeks ago.. $88 for parts and $100 for labor. If i had time i would have done it by myself and saved $100

Stuttgarten 07-13-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6101054)
nahh, those are easy to replace.. You can do it yourself! Or buy them online and btw you need to replace both of them even thought you need only one. I replaced my rear shock a couple of weeks ago.. $88 for parts and $100 for labor. If i had time i would have done it by myself and saved $100

You must be referring to another part/application? My car is dual control airmatic air suspension semi-active (489). Arnott sells them at $479/piece. Here is their web link:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...27_gid491.html

I'm also assuming one needs STAR Diagnostics to install these shocks?

despicable merc 07-14-2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten (Post 6101493)
You must be referring to another part/application? My car is dual control airmatic air suspension semi-active (489). Arnott sells them at $479/piece. Here is their web link:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...27_gid491.html

I'm also assuming one needs STAR Diagnostics to install these shocks?

ohhh, i thought you have regular suspension :)

Stuttgarten 07-14-2014 12:38 PM

My question which has not been answered, is shock noise/creaking the beginning of the end for that shock? Could one eliminate noise by spraying maybe liquid silicone somewhere on there, or would this be sort of masking the symptoms?

2sik4ag 07-20-2014 08:21 PM

Same noise here.. So if I put my windows down my radio goes up😂😂😂😂😂..but gotta take care of it because now ppl looking at my car funny😕😕😠😬😯...

despicable merc 07-21-2014 10:27 AM

i took out the wheel to check the noise.. There's nothing wrong with it so i just sprayed WD-40 around bushings and now everything is ok.