E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Belt(?) squeal on shutdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
Belt(?) squeal on shutdown

When I turn off the engine in my '04 E220 CDI, there is a brief squeal that lasts a second or less.

I had the belt off today and checked for play. The idler pulleys were smooth and one had not play at all and the other had very very slight play if any. The alternator pulley seemed like the fixed type and i could detect no play and it rotated smoothly in either direction. The water pump and tensioner pulley had very slight play, but rotated very smoothly and noiselessly. The AC pulley had the most play, but again not a whole lot.

So, that led me to think the squeal was the belt slipping briefly and perhaps some belt treatment or new belt would help.

Any one else experience this? Any suggestions?

Thx,
BN
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Not only can the bearings be bad but the pivot pin on the tensioner can wear and cause a misalignment. It is also possible the belt has hardened. My guess is if you check the back side of the belt you will see it full of cracks going across the belt. The bearings in my idler (bought car new) were marked Made in China and failed around 70,000 miles.