MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/556417-grinding-sound-vibrating-when-steering-wheel-turned.html)

omarzamani 09-15-2014 08:43 PM

Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned

Like I said in the title, on my 2006 E350 4matic, when I turn the steering wheel to make tight turns, u turns, or just a slightly sharp turn, I hear a grinding sound and the car vibrates. Someone told me that it is normal on MBs that have high mileage (132k) with 4matic. If anyone could help me out I would be grateful. Its an awesome car and I really like it, and I would rather not have to sell or rip apart the whole car to get it fixed.

despicable merc 09-15-2014 09:50 PM

Probably some steering components. My suggestion is to take out the wheel and inspect visually.

Stuttgarten 09-15-2014 11:22 PM

Steering wheel squeak and grind could be eliminated with the use of Lubrizol which is a MB product for that purpose as well as stop leaks. You should probably consider doing power steering fluid service and add Lubrizol to the fresh fluid.

omarzamani 09-15-2014 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten (Post 6168709)
Steering wheel squeak and grind could be eliminated with the use of Lubrizol which is a MB product for that purpose as well as stop leaks. You should probably consider doing power steering fluid service and add Lubrizol to the fresh fluid.

I see how this could be a solution, but I think you misunderstood the problem. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It steers perfectly and easily. The problem is that when I turn the steering wheel all the way or close to all the way, the car itself shudders and vibrates and sounds like something is grinding against another. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it isnt the power steering fluid but im planning to get and oil change soon as well as some other service so I will add that to the list. If anyone knows, could it possibly be an alignment issue?

Barry45RPM 09-16-2014 08:42 AM

Have you had the engine &/or Transmission mounts checked?

dewana421 09-16-2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by omarzamani (Post 6168715)
I see how this could be a solution, but I think you misunderstood the problem. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It steers perfectly and easily. The problem is that when I turn the steering wheel all the way or close to all the way, the car itself shudders and vibrates and sounds like something is grinding against another. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it isnt the power steering fluid but im planning to get and oil change soon as well as some other service so I will add that to the list. If anyone knows, could it possibly be an alignment issue?

Does it do it only when u drive or even in park?
Try turning it in park.Try turning it parked and in drive mode.

Let me know and then we can help U better.

konigstiger 09-17-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by omarzamani (Post 6168538)
when I turn the steering wheel to make tight turns, u turns, or just a slightly sharp turn, I hear a grinding sound

May be transfer case, check your PM.

rodneypierce 09-17-2014 05:54 PM

If its actually the entire car that is doing it, change the transfer case fluid (might as well do the front and rear diff while your at it) assuming its never been done. I had mine changed at 70K miles when I bought it, and the issue went away.

omarzamani 09-17-2014 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by dewana421 (Post 6169678)
Does it do it only when u drive or even in park?
Try turning it in park.Try turning it parked and in drive mode.

Let me know and then we can help U better.

It does not happen when it is in park. Only while driving when im making turns parking u turns etc.

Thanks

omarzamani 09-17-2014 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by rodneypierce (Post 6170741)
If its actually the entire car that is doing it, change the transfer case fluid (might as well do the front and rear diff while your at it) assuming its never been done. I had mine changed at 70K miles when I bought it, and the issue went away.

I do think it is the transfer case itself. MB released a service campaign for w211 2005-2007 with certain serial numbers of transfer cases that they will replace free of charge. I am speaking with someone to find out whether my transfer case will be replaced by MB with the service campaign. And you replaced the front and rear diffs as well as the TC fluid, how much did it cost?

vettdvr 09-18-2014 08:51 AM

It is hard to diagnose from the printed word, but don't overlook your power steering pump. I found the fluid needed to be changed to keep it working properly. No I didn't drain it, I only suctioned it empty topped off with proper fluid, drove 50 miles repeat, did this 3 times and all pump noise was gone

jaxfl 09-18-2014 09:07 AM

DTB P-B-28.50/11 is the transfer case # Have them check it out. It was only the w211 2005-2007 4matics as far as I can tell.

MProved 09-18-2014 09:48 AM

Does it clunk sound like a roller coaster?

omarzamani 09-18-2014 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaxfl (Post 6171290)
DTB P-B-28.50/11 is the transfer case # Have them check it out. It was only the w211 2005-2007 4matics as far as I can tell.

So it seems my car would fall in that category. I think they replace it for free then even without warranty :)

omarzamani 09-18-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MProved (Post 6171319)
Does it clunk sound like a roller coaster?

No, not really it's similar but faster, they aren't slow clunks. Sounds like metal grinding against metal.

jaxfl 09-18-2014 12:06 PM

Check all your RUBBER mounts. I just replaced a bunch of them in my 2006 that had rotted or broken or cracked and I did have some cluck before that.

also check this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...g-turning.html

omarzamani 09-18-2014 03:12 PM

So I called MB today, and I was told that the service campaign for the transfer case was closed in 2013, but I have been told by other people that service campaigns and recalls do NOT expire. I am thoroughly disappointed...

jaxfl 09-18-2014 03:19 PM

Call another MB Dealership... maybe even 2 more and see what they say.

omarzamani 09-18-2014 04:36 PM

I called mbusa, and they told me my car isn't included in the service. Even though I have the same problem as it. Does anyone know if it can be harmful to my car if I drive it over a long period of time without fixing this? I will change the oil in the transfer case soon but a new transfer case costs a few thousand dollars and I cant do that right now.

despicable merc 09-18-2014 05:37 PM

Ive had some grading noise when i was turning. Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out. Then i went to autozone and bought wd40 removed the wheel check everything myself. Couldn't find anything and just sprayed every joint component, connection and bushings. Never had any noises after that.. Those connection can get squeaky especially after rain.

omarzamani 09-18-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6171809)
Ive had some grading noise when i was turning. Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out. Then i went to autozone and bought wd40 removed the wheel check everything myself. Couldn't find anything and just sprayed every joint component, connection and bushings. Never had any noises after that.. Those connection can get squeaky especially after rain.

But it isnt a noise, rather more like a feel with noise. I can feel the car vibrating and something grinding against another when turning. Also that does come along with noise so I will try what you said. Did you do it on the front and back?

despicable merc 09-18-2014 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by omarzamani (Post 6172100)
But it isnt a noise, rather more like a feel with noise. I can feel the car vibrating and something grinding against another when turning. Also that does come along with noise so I will try what you said. Did you do it on the front and back?

Front.. There's nothing at the back. See if you have cracked bushings.. If yes then fill it with some lubricant. Control arms have rubber bushings filled with lube and if they cracked they will make noise.

Attachment 397946

That's what i did.. I know its sloppy fix.

Try to spray these areas

Attachment 397947

omarzamani 09-18-2014 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by despicable merc (Post 6172153)
Front.. There's nothing at the back. See if you have cracked bushings.. If yes then fill it with some lubricant. Control arms have rubber bushings filled with lube and if they cracked they will make noise.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5fgw9gj.jpg

That's what i did.. I know its sloppy fix.

I will try that soon. Also if it doesn't work it will just prove that it's the transfer case issue. Thanks for the help

AMGAffalterbach 09-19-2014 12:58 AM

Just from your title this describes a bad wheel bearing issue exactly...

omarzamani 09-19-2014 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 6172223)
Just from your title this describes a bad wheel bearing issue exactly...

There is so many things it could possibly be! It also is exactly like a bad transfer case