Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
need help on airmatic "visit workshop" 03 E500 >

need help on airmatic "visit workshop" 03 E500

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500

Hi guys, I feel very depressed about the airmatic issues on my car (03 e500) . Half a month ago, the "visit workshop" with arrow pointing up showed up, but the height was very fine. I had one broken front driver side air strut this summer, and I paid $1400 to fix it at dealer.

I read most of the threads about this "visit workshop", and most of them talking about sensors problem, and says that if the height is fine then we basically don't have to do anything on it. So I keep driving it like 5 miles per day until yesterday. I found the car sagged on both rear tires at company's parking lot, and it won't raise up after start. This kind of thing happens sometimes before if I don't drive it for one week, but it can raise up after start. I drove my car back and wait over night, but it still can't raise up. Today, when I tried to drive it, instead of "visit workshop", it gives me the red message "stop, car too low", which terrified me because it is the same message when the front driver strut broke.

I feel very sad when I think of paying such much if the rear two struts broke. But at the same time, I don't think two struts can break on the same time. Does someone have experience on that? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
(I kinds of hope God can help me on that.)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM

2003 E500
You will have to get out diagnosed, but although unlikely, it is possible for both rears to go out at the same time. If one of the rear struts are bad then it can also sag on both sides.

You can always use aftermarket struts, which are remanufactured OEM units for savings. Arnott is the one that most people use but the parts may be on backorder so you will have to check availability.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 PM

2003 E500
I can surely look into Arnott, but I don't have a garage, I have no idea whether I can fix that with only jack stands...
Also, I heard you have to adjust the height after installation with specific MB tools, is that true?
But thank you for your reply

Originally Posted by JDM_SXE-10 View Post
You will have to get out diagnosed, but although unlikely, it is possible for both rears to go out at the same time. If one of the rear struts are bad then it can also sag on both sides.

You can always use aftermarket struts, which are remanufactured OEM units for savings. Arnott is the one that most people use but the parts may be on backorder so you will have to check availability.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by ZhZh View Post
I can surely look into Arnott, but I don't have a garage, I have no idea whether I can fix that with only jack stands...
Also, I heard you have to adjust the height after installation with specific MB tools, is that true?
But thank you for your reply
I don't believe that you have to adjust the height after the install. I have never replaced any of the shocks/struts on this car myself but I have read many posts and it seems to be easy enough. If you are worried about making any mistakes, you can always purchase the parts and have an independent mechanic perform the installation. That will still be cheaper than going through the dealership.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
You won't have to adjust ride height.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
If you have never worked on a Mercedes or similar shock/suspension system then get an indie shop that has experience with Mercedes to do the work.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:25 PM

2003 E500 sport
You can always go to a coilover kit and never worry about airmatic issues