MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Airmatic pump runs for 2 seconds only (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/570425-airmatic-pump-runs-2-seconds-only.html)

MercFiveHundred 01-08-2015 10:13 PM

Airmatic pump runs for 2 seconds only

Hi All 2003 E500,

With the cold weather in NY and an aging airmatic system, i finally got stranded and left the car parked; getting a ride home. Searched around but couldn't find a similar problem...

Problem is my driver side rear is way down and when i turn the car on, the pump will run for 2 seconds, then stop and i get "Visit Workshop" on the dash. When i turn the car off off, i hear the pump prime again. I've tried to turn the car on and off a few times to see if the pump valves were just frozen and hopefully kick on - it's what i did exactly a year ago during the extreme cold and the pump was able to run. Today I've tried about 10 times in 45 min span but nothing. Even tried using the raise and lower buttons. I also waited to heat up the car for the chance that radiant heat may help if it was frozen.

Last night it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the rear did not drop, but i did get a white "Visit Workshop" error . Tonight is was only 20 degrees and this happened. I do not have this problem when temps go above freezing, just when they stay below freezing.

Question is - is this just due to the cold? Or is my pump on the way out? relay? I've got almost 250k miles on her and keep holding on - especially now since gas prices dropped!! I have a friend that has STAR, but he isn't around until next week. Hoping someone here might have went through the same thing and have a few suggestions.

Thanks!

Plutoe 01-09-2015 11:17 AM

Unless you want more misinformation-----The smart move is wait for your friend and SDS!!

MercFiveHundred 01-09-2015 11:30 AM

Yea I agree, but hope there might be a way I could get the pump going to get the car home and work on it in my garage without paying a tow truck - along way from home.

vettdvr 01-11-2015 08:26 AM

Be sure to get the Arnott discount code before you place an order.

MercFiveHundred 01-11-2015 05:04 PM

So I was able to get the pump going after I started and rev'd the car to 3500 rpm. I let the car warm up before I did that. My thought process was that the charge was low in the battery and revving the engine will create the alternator to increase the charge to the system. What is the minimum amount of charge required to get the pump going?

I'm due for a new battery although I can always start the car since I got it in 2006 with that battery. Production date is May 2002. Getting the new battery tomorrow to replace the 13 year old one :).

Barry45RPM 01-12-2015 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred (Post 6291421)
So I was able to get the pump going after I started and rev'd the car to 3500 rpm. I let the car warm up before I did that. My thought process was that the charge was low in the battery and revving the engine will create the alternator to increase the charge to the system. What is the minimum amount of charge required to get the pump going?

I'm due for a new battery although I can always start the car since I got it in 2006 with that battery. Production date is May 2002. Getting the new battery tomorrow to replace the 13 year old one :).

Wow! That's a long life on that battery... I thought I did well with my factory battery lasting from November 2006 till I traded the car in in November 2014!

N_Jay 01-12-2015 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 6292053)
Wow! That's a long life on that battery... I thought I did well with my factory battery lasting from November 2006 till I traded the car in in November 2014!

A bit off topic.

Our 2007 (Dec 2006 build) still has the original battery.

Barry45RPM 01-12-2015 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by N_Jay (Post 6292096)
A bit off topic.

Our 2007 (Dec 2006 build) still has the original battery.

Ooooh... so what. Takes a second to read or ignore.

N_Jay 01-12-2015 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 6292265)
Ooooh... so what. Takes a second to read or ignore.

I was not complaining about your post.

I was just providing a disclaimer for my post (should some take offence due to being off topic)

Disclaimer: we are now further off topic discussing being off topic.