MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/574478-e500-annual-costs-maintenance-repairs.html)

joekitch 02-12-2015 10:56 AM

e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....?

I'm taking a strong look at an e500 wagon, they seem like damn nice cars
I am aware of the SBC issues and airmatic junk, I've found some bulletins on how to disable the SBC system without using STAR and plan to convert from air shocks to koni FSDs for comfy ride without body roll

But, how much does your 03-06 e500 cost you per year on average? Including expensive repairs.
Bonus points if you do everything DIY, which is what I plan to do for almost everything, even if I'm having a hard time finding diy tutorials for the e500

homeofstone 02-12-2015 06:24 PM

Lower ball joints may be a needed repair and transmission service every 40k which cost about 300.00. It is really a solid car with the exception of the SBC and shocks. You may want to keep the airmatic and use Arnott lifetime shocks.

joekitch 02-12-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by homeofstone (Post 6329178)
Lower ball joints may be a needed repair and transmission service every 40k which cost about 300.00. It is really a solid car with the exception of the SBC and shocks. You may want to keep the airmatic and use Arnott lifetime shocks.

oh yeah, i totally forgot about arnott, i'm actually watching their install video right now
looks like a somewhat difficult job, mostly because you're basically dropping the rear crossmember out of the frame. although most of the work it just getting the old air spring/reservoir out, i wonder if you could somehow chop the old air spring to get it out of there, and just leave the reservoir? the new springs dont even use the reservoir.

homeofstone 02-12-2015 06:44 PM

I did the front on my E500. Not bad, the trick for the front is to do both sides at same time and disconnect the sway bar so the lower arms can drop way down. The original rear air shocks on my e500 are still perfect.

Honcho 02-12-2015 07:10 PM

This site place might have some helpful data: http://www.truedelta.com/

joekitch 02-12-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Honcho (Post 6329224)
This site place might have some helpful data: http://www.truedelta.com/

already have that a look, but its somewhat hazy since the e500 and the e320 and the cdi are lumped together.
however you CAN look for submissions that are just the v8, and they seem to be pretty darn dependable since almost no engine problems arise

homeofstone 02-12-2015 10:11 PM

My e500 has 140k miles on it and I did need a drive shaft center bearing and support. So when it was replaced I also had the front and rear flex disc replaced. As far as engine, transmission and rear diff. not a single problem. No problems with the electronics either.

joekitch 02-13-2015 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by homeofstone (Post 6329425)
My e500 has 140k miles on it and I did need a drive shaft center bearing and support. So when it was replaced I also had the front and rear flex disc replaced. As far as engine, transmission and rear diff. not a single problem. No problems with the electronics either.

how much did that center bearing support service set you back? looking at it, it actually looks somewhat easy to DIY, i'm not even sure you'd need to drop the exhaust for that, just unbolt the head shields and slide them out of the way

homeofstone 02-13-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by joekitch (Post 6329703)
how much did that center bearing support service set you back? looking at it, it actually looks somewhat easy to DIY, i'm not even sure you'd need to drop the exhaust for that, just unbolt the head shields and slide them out of the way

It is a DIY with the right tools. My hobby is cars so it was not a big job.The rear section of exhaust does have to be removed. New exhaust seals will be needed Use oem parts. The bearing will need to b pressed on. Took me about 3 house total. Can't remember cost.

joekitch 02-13-2015 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by homeofstone (Post 6329731)
It is a DIY with the right tools. My hobby is cars so it was not a big job.The rear section of exhaust does have to be removed. New exhaust seals will be needed Use oem parts. The bearing will need to b pressed on. Took me about 3 house total. Can't remember cost.

only three hours? and that's the biggest thing you had to tackle up to 140k miles?
that's actually really darn good

vettdvr 02-13-2015 10:22 AM

My E500 2003 bought new sold at 125000 miles had about $20,000 in warranty work plus normal maintenance over 9 years so you can do the math.

joekitch 02-13-2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6329857)
My E500 2003 bought new sold at 125000 miles had about $20,000 in warranty work plus normal maintenance over 9 years so you can do the math.

hmm, so $2222 a year on average
what kinds of big repairs were there during your ownership? i'm pretty warry of the 03 models, i'd probably get a late 05

homeofstone 02-13-2015 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by joekitch (Post 6329855)
only three hours? and that's the biggest thing you had to tackle up to 140k miles?
that's actually really darn good

Not the biggest job. The front arnott air shocks took about 8 hours. Shocks were not difficult, it was just a lot to take a part and put together and triple checking everything. I have a compressor in my basement shop and air ratchets and air impact wrenches as well as battery powered wrenches and specialty tools for Mercedes and BMW so jobs go faster than using only hand tools.

vettdvr 02-15-2015 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by joekitch (Post 6329875)
hmm, so $2222 a year on average
what kinds of big repairs were there during your ownership? i'm pretty warry of the 03 models, i'd probably get a late 05

Heater water valve,
Ignition switch
Front airmatic
Rear airsprings
Airmatic compressor
SBC brakes
Lighter inside ash tray
Door locks
Battery control Module
Alignment needed camber bolts
Tilt steering coupling
Starter
Transmission/Engine mounts
Transmission leaking

and the list goes on, The car has been gone 3 yrs and I don't remember all of the issues, just glad someone else owns it. I had a 100,000 warranty but I also paid a lot. My $$ was if you had to pay out of pocket to understand owning a non warranty car. That was my Last Mercedes, it cured me after paying about $65000 for the car.

joekitch 02-16-2015 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6332051)
Heater water valve,
Ignition switch
Front airmatic
Rear airsprings
Airmatic compressor
SBC brakes
Lighter inside ash tray
Door locks
Battery control Module
Alignment needed camber bolts
Tilt steering coupling
Starter
Transmission/Engine mounts
Transmission leaking

and the list goes on, The car has been gone 3 yrs and I don't remember all of the issues, just glad someone else owns it. I had a 100,000 warranty but I also paid a lot. My $$ was if you had to pay out of pocket to understand owning a non warranty car. That was my Last Mercedes, it cured me after paying about $65000 for the car.

daaaayum
well, i'll make sure to avoid any low mileage 2003s.....or anything earlier than a 2005 for that matter