E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

w211 Estate Classic air spring problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 270CDI estate
w211 Estate Classic air spring problem

Drove the Merc into a huge pothole, leaving a bent rim and the rear side Passenger side air spring got flat slowly 2 days after, jacket the car up passenger side, unbolted the wheel and ran the engine for about 4-5mins and the rear driver side lifted up, dropped down as soon as i put the wheel back on passenger side and lowered it to level.

Soaped the airbag looking for some bubbles, no results, checked the white air line and the sensor and all looks fine..

Car is only equipped with bags in the back, therefor it does not have one of those alu-reserverios, only air line and sensor go into the bag itself and no leaks visible. Any ideas?

Car is going to the shop in a week, i have 2 option. I can get the Arnott Coil spring conversion kit, or a new Arnott air spring, do you guys have experience with the coil conv. kit and install time ? Looks like a easy way out to get rid of future airmatic problems.

If i go with the Air spring option, i assume i have to have both replaced if the driver side one isnt a Arnott product?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by airspringprblmz

If i go with the Air spring option, i assume i have to have both replaced if the driver side one isnt a Arnott product?
Yep, you want to do both sides. Arnott says it's a requirement. You can call them for info on which spring you want. Partsgeek.com sells them at a favorable price. Give them the arnott model number to make sure it's the same thing. I always use the partsgeek site for research, then call them with the order, because the salespeople are very nice and very helpful, and will double-check things to avoid errors in choosing the right part.

If you did have the reservoir, Arnott now says that you can leave it in place since they don't use it, and just pull out the spring without taking the whole car apart to fish out the reservoir.

By the way, I think that this is the Arnott part you want, because you say it only has the rear bags: https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...MXcaAgwj8P8HAQ

PartsGeek.com has it for $241 each. And it's an easy install. That has to beat what it takes to do a wholesale replacement of the air springs with coils, and it's not likely that you're going to need to do this again.

I really like Airmatic. I wouldn't replace it with a fixed spring.

Last edited by wjcandee; 04-01-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts
Mercedes
If you end up needing Arnott's I'm certain I have two on the shelf and they are $226.11 a piece.

--Kyle

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...rear-arn-a2726