E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT!!! European Active Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
URGENT!!! Active Headlight Issue

My vehicle is at present at my local dealers having a few 'teething problems sorted out. One of these 'teething problems is the Active Headlights.

I have been informed by European members that have this option that the following pre-check is carried out when first starting the vehicle.

The headlights scan Left\Right, Centre then Up\Down Cenre (or vice versa)

My vehicle has Active Headlights (allegedly) but the headlights only scan Up\Down Centre.

Mercedes-Benz UK assure me that the headlights only pre-check Up\Down Centre.

Help, I need to know of anyone that can confirm what Mercedes-Benz are saying. The car is at the Dealership and I want it sorted out, but more importantly I do not like being told untruths.

I would be very grateful for any replies.

Bye for now,
John
Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its my understanding that if they only scan up and down, and not left right, then you have active sensing, but not curve sensing Xenon's...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Signal
its my understanding that if they only scan up and down, and not left right, then you have active sensing, but not curve sensing Xenon's...
Totally agree with you. BUT I need owners of vehicles to confirm this. Either one way, or the other.

Thanks for the reply.

John
Old 03-08-2004, 02:25 PM

You saw these two threads didnt you?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=58086

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...tive+headlight
Old 03-08-2004, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info, BUT!! Unfortunately there is a problem with US spec. cars.

European and UK cars do have Active headlights. The option numbers ARE country type numbers, and bear no relevance. The numbers for Active Lights in the UK are 616. In Europe they are different again. The US, I believe are finally getting these lights but with a different number.

Thanks again.

John
Old 03-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Yeah, Sorry John. I forget that MB seems to want everything so difficult. Diff option codes per country is of course quite logical.... NOT!!!

Hope you get it sorted.. Say hi to Basil. :p
Old 03-08-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
John

I tried to see if there were any clues within the fuse distribution diagram. There unfortunately does not appear to be a separate fuse for Active headlights.

M
Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Fastbuck
John

I tried to see if there were any clues within the fuse distribution diagram. There unfortunately does not appear to be a separate fuse for Active headlights.

M
Thanks anyway.

Regards,
John
Old 03-08-2004, 03:54 PM

John,

I have Active Headlights, and they move as you described, left, right, up and down.

MB doesn't know what they are talking about!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Oslo
John,

I have Active Headlights, and they move as you described, left, right, up and down.

MB doesn't know what they are talking about!!!
Thanks Oslo, both yourself and H10LTJ have Active Headlights.

H10LTJ is very kindly going to send me a short video clip of his vehicle carrying out the Pre-check.

I am going to insist they place my vehicle on a rolling road and check the lights. Because of my condition I cannot get there to witness the event. BUT if I have the video footage from H10LTJ
then I quite simply do NOT believe them, and words will be exchanged!!!!

The pre-checks that you describe certainly make sense, and the Up\Down check obviously checks out the self levelling stabilization system. I have very little time for people that try to deceive me, and I hope that my vehicle is just failing to do part of its pre-check.

The mobile phone problem was evidently a 'known' issue which they have now sorted out with a COMAND upgrade???? If this is the case, then hopefully I will be able to play MP3's. (are they telling the truth on this issue?)

Regards
John
Old 03-08-2004, 04:55 PM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
BTW: The lights that were installed in my e500 wagon do not go right to left, in self test. Occasionally they go up and down. One of the mechanic’s plugged in the computer to see if they were there and next to the Active Lights ( box ) on the external computers LCD display there was a check mark witch was not there with my other xenon lights that came with the car originally.
More food for posts!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
John,

It seems that your dealers and service advisors in the UK are just like those in the USA! Now the question is: Did the USA learn bad habits from the UK? Did the UK learn bad habits from the USA? or did both learn this behavior from MB?

Jim
Old 03-09-2004, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JimPurdy
John,

It seems that your dealers and service advisors in the UK are just like those in the USA! Now the question is: Did the USA learn bad habits from the UK? Did the UK learn bad habits from the USA? or did both learn this behavior from MB?

Jim
Good question,

I am still trying to figure out if the egg came before the chicken.

On a serious note, I am hoping that my vehicle is only carrying out the Up\Down check, and Mercedes-Benz are correct in stating that my system is operating the Active Headlights. The member that is very kindly sending me a short video of the full pre-checks comes from the UK, so that will help my cause.

To quote from another thread, "I am not ect 'static' about this situation. Although touch wood, I do not have a static problem YET.

Bye for now,
John
Old 03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have contacted my Dealer at lunchtime and informed him of my very serious doubts about his 'claim'.

I informed him that a fellow UK owner of a 211 model E-class is sending me video footage of the pre-checks and it is in direct contradiction of the information he has given me.

He is again getting back to Mercedes-Benz UK to confirm the 'true' pre-check procedure.

A big thank you to Oslo and H10LTJ for his kind offer.

I am obviously slightly confused by what jbmaxx of the USA has said. His quest to get Active Headlights has been long and very protracted, the 'occassional' pre-check that his system carries out is contrary to everything that we have. (At least my system does it's abridged pre-check everytime the engine is started)

Thanks again,
John
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 AM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
glojo

I was told by one of the mechanics that the lights only self check in a random sequence, or if the lights are turned on when the car is in a new position as on a hill. When I first received the car the lights moved up into position and centered two times then only rarely do I see any movement up but only up to center. It could be they are not activated. But on a call to the mechanic who installed them he assured
me they were programed to work. MY old Bi-Xenon lights did the same (random) sequence but up & down.

BTW: Is it possible to post a QuickTime movie of the video you are getting?
I think sometimes we all are in there product development team!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Almost a Member!

E500 Black/Charcoal, Appearance and Premium Packages, Keyless Go and Remote Trunk Closer
my headlights ALWAYS do a self check sequence:

left, right, left, right, up, down center.....

My cornering headlights were installed at the factory with appearance package 422.

I don't think what Mercedes is telling you is correct.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jbmaxx
glojo

BTW: Is it possible to post a QuickTime movie of the video you are getting?
I think sometimes we all are in there product development team!
As long as it is okay with H10LTJ then I will willingly send you a copy.

The movement of the unit can be checked simply by standing in front of the car and looking at the headlights when the engine is started.

(The headlights do NOT have to be switched on)

I find it VERY strange that there is a terrible lack of expert knowledge on this particular model, and it is a pity that the link is no longer available to E-class learning page.

It must be difficult to keep abreast of every new model that comes into the showroom, but it is no good having customers telling so called 'experts' how there systems work.

Regards,
John
Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by benzboy56
my headlights ALWAYS do a self check sequence:

left, right, left, right, up, down center.....

My cornering headlights were installed at the factory with appearance package 422.

I don't think what Mercedes is telling you is correct.
THANK YOU very much indeed, are you from the USA?

I started this thread asking for European input solely because of all the other threads describing how no one in the USA had this option yet!!! However I really appreciate any information from anyone, no matter where they reside.

Thanks again,
John
Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 PM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
Well guys, they want me to bring the car in to check out why they are not (dancing). I repeated what was last posted here and they said hmmmm bring it in and we will put the computer on it again!
I will post on the outcome later in the week when I can get the car to them. Between you and me I don’t think they have any idea what these lights are supposed to do!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 Black/Charcoal, Appearance and Premium Packages, Keyless Go and Remote Trunk Closer
Originally posted by glojo
THANK YOU very much indeed, are you from the USA?

I started this thread asking for European input solely because of all the other threads describing how no one in the USA had this option yet!!! However I really appreciate any information from anyone, no matter where they reside.

Thanks again,
John
Yes, I am from the USA... I had a build date of 01/21/2004 for my car.

If you have cornering headlights that work correctly, you will know it. Someone is not being honest with you.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 PM

If you have cornering headlights that work correctly, you will know it. Someone is not being honest with you.
Benzboy is correct! Of course you will see if you have Cornering Headlights, and not only from the "dancing headlights" when you start. Drive along a dark road, and move your wheel quickly in small movements from side to side, and you will see it. If you haven't observed that, you either don't have it, or it's not working.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This thread has certainly confirmed my suspicions. At present I believe that Mercedes-Benz UK has made a forgiveable error in so far as the order form that was submitted requested Active Headlights. The computer printout shows my vehicle as being built with various options including Active Headlights. The Vehicle Data Sheet displays my vehicle as having Active Headlights, so when I contacted them they told me in good faith that my vehicle was indeed fitted with all the options that I had requested.

Where it starts to get into your conclusion (and please do not think I am disagreeing with you) is at the Dealership. I have at all times been both polite and respectful, but the Senior Technical Supervisor at the dealership informed me that he had checked a number of E-class vehicles that had Active Headlights and they all only carried out the Up\Down pre-check!!!

So you have drawn a conclusion that is very difficult to disagree with.

I have now seen video evidence which corroborates exactly what you, Oslo, and jholt1 have kindly stated. I have left a message on the dealers answerphone for him to contact me first thing.

jbmaxx has had a retrofit and is no doubt taking an interest in this thread. Reading his comments I do not feel happy about going down that avenue, but obviously I will have to hear what the dealer has to say tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for contributing to this thread, your comments have been greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John Shorter
Torquay
South Devon
Old 03-09-2004, 04:29 PM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
glojo

Any chance of a QuickTime version on the web? It would finely end the void of knowledge with some ironclad evidence!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

glojo

Any chance of a QuickTime version on the web? It would finely end the void of knowledge with some ironclad evidence!
I have just sent you an e-mail. with a few queries regarding posting.

Hopefully the videos will follow

Good luck,
John
Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 PM

glojo

John (glojo): If you mail me the clip, I can host it for you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: URGENT!!! European Active Headlight Issue