Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
What's a good tire choice for my E550 >

What's a good tire choice for my E550

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What's a good tire choice for my E550

 
Old 04-11-2015, 03:11 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
What's a good tire choice for my E550

Hey gang would love your input on a good wearing tire for mostly city driving. We go up north to Ohio once a year so i might put 8,000 miles a year on the car ..Thanks in advance
the tires on it now are Falken ZE912'S

Found these for the front

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-245-40...4307ac&vxp=mtr

Last edited by GodfatherE550; 04-11-2015 at 03:25 PM.
GodfatherE550 is offline  
Old 04-11-2015, 03:51 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SWFL
Posts: 155
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E350, 2010 GL550
how much do you want to spend? Those nitto are nicer tires.
Blitz2639 is offline  
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
wjcandee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC and LI
Posts: 261
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Michelin pilot sport as/3 is going to be the best overall performing tire. A best buy, right up there, would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-A, available at Pep Boys, often buy 3 get one free. A flaming bargain for a tire of that quality.
wjcandee is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I tried the Cooper. Tires got so noisy at about half worn out the tires sounded like tractor tires. Bridgestone Serenity or Michelin Primacy , Goodyear Eagle Sport is what is on my E500 now and I am very pleased with them. I have used the Serenity tires( which are outstanding) for several years and currently I have them on my Hyundai Genesis.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 12:15 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
wjcandee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC and LI
Posts: 261
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
I tried the Cooper. Tires got so noisy at about half worn out the tires sounded like tractor tires. Bridgestone Serenity or Michelin Primacy , Goodyear Eagle Sport is what is on my E500 now and I am very pleased with them. I have used the Serenity tires( which are outstanding) for several years and currently I have them on my Hyundai Genesis.
That's a good point. Different people care about different things. Here's what I care about: (1) Dry Stopping distance; (2) wet stopping distance; (3) handling in demanding driving; (4) snow and ice traction. That's it. I don't care at all about: (1) mileage and wear; (2) noise. So my recommendations were based on that.
wjcandee is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:00 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
LemonSqueezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
14 550 sedan
+1 on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Amazing tires but pricey.
LemonSqueezy is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
The Thomas J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 554
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
That's a good point. Different people care about different things. Here's what I care about: (1) Dry Stopping distance; (2) wet stopping distance; (3) handling in demanding driving; (4) snow and ice traction. That's it. I don't care at all about: (1) mileage and wear; (2) noise. So my recommendations were based on that.
I want all this is plus I want a tire that has the best ride possible on low profile rims.

For years I was miserable in the road noise and ride of the Pirrellis on my BMW. Put a set of Falkens on that were 1. cheaper 2. Quiet 3. ride quality improved.

Down side is there is some squealing when going into the corners hard but that is something I can live with. 15,000 miles and they are wearing well.

I can't stand the Conti's on my e class.
The Thomas J is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
wjcandee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC and LI
Posts: 261
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post

I can't stand the Conti's on my e class.
I had the Contis on our E500, and I am predisposed to think highly of Conti as a manufacturer. I was also inclined to think of Michelin as over-hyped and over-marketed.

But that's all they had at Costco a few years ago, so I switched.

They are still expensive, but I keep telling myself that if someday I have to nail the brakes and swerve, as I had to once when I came around a curve to find a Road Maintenance truck stopped dead in the center lane of the Interstate with no warning, I expect the steering to respond predictably, the Sensotronic to do its thing, and the tires to do the best possible job in carrying out the job handed to them by those two systems.

There are times when a few hundred more for the tires could save me thousands in collision damage, or maybe even from injury...
wjcandee is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Found these guys on ebay ..Price looks right your thoughts gang

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-245-40...09bee9&vxp=mtr
GodfatherE550 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
I had the Contis on our E500, and I am predisposed to think highly of Conti as a manufacturer. I was also inclined to think of Michelin as over-hyped and over-marketed.

But that's all they had at Costco a few years ago, so I switched.

They are still expensive, but I keep telling myself that if someday I have to nail the brakes and swerve, as I had to once when I came around a curve to find a Road Maintenance truck stopped dead in the center lane of the Interstate with no warning, I expect the steering to respond predictably, the Sensotronic to do its thing, and the tires to do the best possible job in carrying out the job handed to them by those two systems.

There are times when a few hundred more for the tires could save me thousands in collision damage, or maybe even from injury...
GodfatherE550 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
LemonSqueezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 857
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
14 550 sedan
Originally Posted by GodfatherE550 View Post
Found these guys on ebay ..Price looks right your thoughts gang

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-245-40...09bee9&vxp=mtr
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn those tires were discontinued some time ago and we're replaced by the "a/s 3" version. They're good tires but getting a replacement might get harder and harder as time goes by, if they really are discontinued. If they're not discontinued, go for it.
LemonSqueezy is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SWFL
Posts: 155
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E350, 2010 GL550
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn those tires were discontinued some time ago and we're replaced by the "a/s 3" version. They're good tires but getting a replacement might get harder and harder as time goes by, if they really are discontinued. If they're not discontinued, go for it.
The super sports replaced the standard pilot sports not too long ago. I've sold a lot of super sports to clients of mine and every one loves them. The a/s3 is an all season tire. These are your standard sport tire.
Blitz2639 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Originally Posted by Blitz2639 View Post
The super sports replaced the standard pilot sports not too long ago. I've sold a lot of super sports to clients of mine and every one loves them. The a/s3 is an all season tire. These are your standard sport tire.
Thanks for the input im stupid when it comes to tires ... are these the old version and do i need to ask for the mold date etc!!
GodfatherE550 is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
wjcandee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC and LI
Posts: 261
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
me personally, I would be leery about buying tires from ebay, cause you really have no idea what you're getting. I would see what you can get them for at Costco, and at Tire Rack. On tires, it doesn't matter whether you're a Costco member, because if you can print out their price, you can take it to pep boys and they will match it.
wjcandee is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
me personally, I would be leery about buying tires from ebay, cause you really have no idea what you're getting. I would see what you can get them for at Costco, and at Tire Rack. On tires, it doesn't matter whether you're a Costco member, because if you can print out their price, you can take it to pep boys and they will match it.
That's a great idea man thanks sir
GodfatherE550 is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGAffalterbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 3,190
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I meant to write you a short comment about the best tire in each category according to my opinion but went overboard, I am so sorry lol. Here is my essay on tires, as of 2015 these are my choices for tires through research, ownership, reviews, and such, hopefully it helps you:

[BEST TIRES]:
If you want a great super high mileage all-season for passenger cars: Michelin Defender

If you want all-season capability with summer-like grip (best ultra high performance all season): Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, read my review https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-3-review.html the only thing I will caution is they are wearing faster than expected, but I put more miles on my car now and drive it like a hooligan. [http://bit.ly/1byDE38]

If you want the best max performance summer tire: Michelin Pilot Super Sport [http://bit.ly/1EvE7jd]

If you want the best extreme performance summer tire (more aggressive than a max performance summer but less so than an R-compound): Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A [http://bit.ly/1Jy08vx]

If you want the best R-compound track tire (adding this for kicks because these are streetable track tires): Pirelli Trofeo R (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 is just behind but not quite as good) [http://bit.ly/162BwxF]

__
If you want an excellent max performance summer tire but want to pay less than a Michelin Pilot Super Sport: Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

If you want a good, middle-of-the-road to high-end all season that will last longer: Continental DWS

If you want an R-compound streetable track tire and don't care about noise and want to pay similar to a Michelin Pilot Super Sport: Toyo Proxes R888


[WORST TIRES (Stay Away)]:
Please spend good money on tires, they're a very important safety feature of the car, so stay away from the cheaper brands, a lot of which are Chinese. They aren't all unsafe, but most don't come close to more well known tires in areas such as braking performance:
Arizonian (Discount Tire off-brand)
Nankang
Mayrun
Hercules Tires
General Tire (Budget US brand)
Firestone (Look into the history of these)
Uniroyal
Douglas
Nexen
Fuzion (Made by Bridgestone, not unsafe)
Geostar
Sunny
Pegasus



[OTHER TIRE OPINIONS]:
Nitto: These aren't top shelf but they aren't cheap, I trust them but I think a lot of their performance tires (specificially the invo) offer terrible grip considering how aggressive their tread patterns are, yes I'm talking about the Invo here. Their NT05r isn't a bad drag radial at all though.

Continental: Absolutely a trusted and respected brand, never really had their tires, but heard exclusively good things about them, I still prefer Michelin - yet Mercedes uses these as OEM quite a bit.

Goodyear: They have one or two products that are decent such as the Eagle F1 SuperCar tires, but honestly most of their tires are pretty bad, I had a set of TripleTread Assurance tires back in the day that were bleh

BF Goodrich/Dunlop/Cooper: I'd classify as more entry level/mid range with some okay products but I'd never buy them, the Dunlop Direzza ZII makes a good BF Goodrich gForce Rival and Bridgestone RE-11A rival, though

Hankook: Definitely isn't a bad tire brand considering how inexpensive they are, their Ventus V12 Evo 2 is a good max performance summer tire, but through a friend that runs them on a CLS55 their sidewalls are pretty damn stiff

Michelin Primacy MXM4/MXV4/Pilot HX MXM4 Lines: Owned all of these grand-touring tires, they are decent and comfortable, but being a grand touring tire they have a lot of sidewall roll and are VERY overpriced for what they are. I say either go performance oriented like the Pilot Sport A/S 3 or go completely comfort, mileage, fuel-economy oriented like the Michelin Defender or one of their eco tires.

Yokohamas: Some of these are passable tires, most I've owned have been terrible, their performance tires are definitely capable but they are noisy as hell, yet aren't a bad deal financially

Vredestein: Excellent European tire that is now owned by an Indian company, but originally from the Netherlands. Their tires that are by Giugiaro design are insanely sexy looking tires, specifically the Ultrac Sessanta I recommended above, a lot of the SRT8 Cherokee guys run them around here as they are good at making odd sizes. The Ultra Sessanta is suppposed to be a very good and progressive summer tire at a reasonable price, with a tire pattern that is squirmy during break-in but excellent thereafter.


[FINAL NOTES]:

DO NOT buy tires from eBay as stated above - you're opening yourself up to everything from fakes, to long shelf-life tires, to tires that have been stored improperly, and the like. Stick to the major retailers such as Discount Tire, Big O, or to Tire Rack. They sometimes offer good warranties and will pro-rate your next set of tires if your current set wear under the mileage warranty. If you have any more questions about tires please let me know it's a topic I find super interesting, but as you know a lot of the people on this forum have a lot of knowledge and experience as well - I am just one opinion, and as you can tell I'm biased towards Michelin and Pirelli. But paying a premium for tires is worth it 1000x over.

The softer the compound, the higher the tire performance, but the worse the wear, you have to really chose what you want. The Nitto Invo or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport won't last as long as a good all season.

If you need winter tires, nothing will beat a good Blizzak as most will tell you, but Nokian tires are becoming a really good premium winter tire.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 04-23-2015 at 12:16 PM.
AMGAffalterbach is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
AMG gave very good review of tires. I paid big $$ to learn what he published.
The safe way is to go to the show room and see what is on the NEW MB. Buy that exact tire if you want to maintain a "new car" drive feel on the tires. I found Michelins to be my #1 choice with Conti's as #2 I would not use any substitute on my MB .
vettdvr is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: dmv
Posts: 1,486
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
MY 550 IS NOT MY DAILY, HOWEVER I DID DRIVE A CUSTOMERS 550 YESTERDAY, HE HAD CPC, CONTI PRO CONTACTS, ON HIS. DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE IN TIRE NOISE OVER MY AS3'S COMPARED TO CPC'S. I WILL FOR SURE GET SOME CPC'S AS SOON AS THEY ARE WORN, AS3'S. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE SLIGHT INNER BENDS ON THREE OF MY WHEELS WHICH ALSO DOESN'T HELP WITH NOISE, BUT WITH THAT SAID CPC'S FOR COMFORT, AS3'S FOR PERFORMANCE. TERBACH HIT THE HEAD ON THE NAIL!
cmriv is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGAffalterbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 3,190
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
AMG gave very good review of tires. I paid big $$ to learn what he published.
The safe way is to go to the show room and see what is on the NEW MB. Buy that exact tire if you want to maintain a "new car" drive feel on the tires. I found Michelins to be my #1 choice with Conti's as #2 I would not use any substitute on my MB .
AMGAffalterbach is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
rodneypierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 255
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
I have Cooper RS3-A's on mine and I love them so far! I have zero complaints what so ever about them.
rodneypierce is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
I have Cooper RS3-A's on mine and I love them so far! I have zero complaints what so ever about them.

I liked the set I had until a little over 50% worn out and then they got so noisy that I get rid of them. I put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons on and they have remained quiet. These were put on my 2005 E500



http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29


http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Last edited by homeofstone; 04-26-2015 at 08:37 PM.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: jhel
Posts: 182
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cdi 3.2 92 300d 2.5
^ The second link comparing all brands as " Rank in Category" is random it seems.

A hankook placed 4 better than a michelin whom placed only 9th
Is the hankook really in the Ultra high performance category What about dunlop in this category not so sure.

A goodyear eagle is placed 2nd in this same category, not sure about either.

Some of these tires are rated on compact size cars.

I have the michelin mxv4 energy all except for the winters which are severe.

The Defender in the michelin does not list the 225 55 16 only the 225 60 16
vaccin is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 08:44 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by vaccin View Post
^ The second link comparing all brands as " Rank in Category" is random it seems.

A hankook placed 4 better than a michelin whom placed only 9th
Is the hankook really in the Ultra high performance category What about dunlop in this category not so sure.

A goodyear eagle is placed 2nd in this same category, not sure about either.

Some of these tires are rated on compact size cars.

I have the michelin mxv4 energy all except for the winters which are severe.

The Defender in the michelin does not list the 225 55 16 only the 225 60 16


The tires on the survey list are only UHP tires. On the left the list can be filtered by size. Where is there any mention of compact size cars?
homeofstone is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: jhel
Posts: 182
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cdi 3.2 92 300d 2.5
The reviews list cars the tires were critiqued and the cars sizes are all over the board.

The safest strongest tire may not be the highest rated tire in all categories eg. noise level.

If were comparing tires maybe we should be looking at tire construction technologies and then look into the reviews.

Tire warranty and full returns are just as important after the fact
vaccin is offline  
Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
GodfatherE550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Thanks.. a great review AMG I learned a lot from it
looks like Michelin has my vote
GodfatherE550 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's a good tire choice for my E550


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: