MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   2005 E500 4Matic won't crank (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/583289-2005-e500-4matic-wont-crank.html)

cwmateiuc 04-23-2015 03:25 PM

2005 E500 4Matic won't crank

I'm looking into purchasing this car, it had airmatic issues.. and the "machanic" tried fixing it and ended up making it not even crank.

Everything in the car works fine, the car just doesn't crank at all.

Any ideas on what this could be? I know he tried jumping things with power... But not sure what.

There are no errors on the dash

cwmateiuc 04-23-2015 03:36 PM

He has the buttons lifted by the shifter, can that hav anything to do with it also? The light for the shifter is on and is lit up on P.

samaritrey 04-23-2015 03:37 PM

CPS, Starter solenoid, Fuses and tons of other stuff will need to be looked at. I would just walk away unless you want to get yourself a problem child but the price would have to be low and it would have to run so you know the engine is actually no destroyed.
what do you mean lifted? like the wood trim is dislodged? Car would need to be in park or N to start obviously you could try to put it in N and then Park again to see if that helps.

cwmateiuc 04-23-2015 03:46 PM

It's a long time friend, the car ran...

Motor ran good, everything worked fine.

It's a very good price which is the only reason I'm interested.

cwmateiuc 05-07-2015 11:44 PM

Okay, so I scanned the car with STAR.... Really not much going on except two things.

Event current and stored: 9310 The supply voltage was cutoff by the vehicle power supply control module.

Current and stored: 9203 Control unit ASSYST is not receiving any messages from the interior CAN bus

Current and stored: 9204 Control unit ASSYST is not receiving any messages from the engine compartment CAN bus

Current and stored: D690 CAN signal vehicle speed faulty

Also, there is no communication with the ESM - Electronic shifter module.
I can't shift out of park with the ignition on and foot on the brake, also... Although the indicator (that indicates what position it's in) lights up.

Any ideas? My hunch is that the Battery Control Module is bad and needs to be replaced... I think it got fried when the previous person was jumping wires.

Any ideas?

homeofstone 05-07-2015 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by cwmateiuc (Post 6426001)
Okay, so I scanned the car with STAR.... Really not much going on except two things.

Event current and stored: 9310 The supply voltage was cutoff by the vehicle power supply control module.

Current and stored: 9203 Control unit ASSYST is not receiving any messages from the interior CAN bus

Current and stored: 9204 Control unit ASSYST is not receiving any messages from the engine compartment CAN bus

Current and stored: D690 CAN signal vehicle speed faulty

Also, there is no communication with the ESM - Electronic shifter module.
I can't shift out of park with the ignition on and foot on the brake, also... Although the indicator (that indicates what position it's in) lights up.

Any ideas? My hunch is that the Battery Control Module is bad and needs to be replaced... I think it got fried when the previous person was jumping wires.

Any ideas?

I think you may be correct.

OCKlasse 05-08-2015 01:22 AM

Check the rear SAM too...mine turned out to be fried.

cwmateiuc 05-11-2015 07:03 PM

Okay, so I replaced the battery control module and the car still will not crank.

Can it be from the shifter? The car not knowing what gear it's in?

Or something else? How do I test the SAM? Also, if I buy new ones, are they all the same?

cwmateiuc 05-11-2015 07:58 PM

Okay, So abs, esp display malfunctions keep coming and going on the message screen... Along with the interior lights coming on then shutting off right after.

My guess now is front sam...
Also, how so I check those 150-200A fuses?

cwmateiuc 05-11-2015 10:08 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8bde930d38.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6993c326e0.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...10070b380b.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...da8b4aeace.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...83e8b1f747.jpg

cwmateiuc 05-11-2015 11:19 PM

Sorry for the constant replies...I keep messing with it and I keep finding out more.

If the Electronic Shifter Module is bad, can this prevent the car from starting?

I manually unlock the shifter and put it in reverse with the key in the "on" position and no reverse lights kick on.

So something is wrong with the esm? Or possibly related to something that communicates with it

cmriv 05-12-2015 07:38 AM

If your intelligent shift module or ISM isnt sending and receiving can signals it very well could be the coulprit as to why your vehicle wont crank. Question, how new is your battery? The date should be on the +/- terminal or under the sticker that has your AH/EN numbers on it. Only reason i ask is because if your battery is weak your ME/ism/various control unit cant do their self tests. Just to double check your vehicle doesnt crank at all right? Will the key go to position 2?

cwmateiuc 05-12-2015 08:46 AM

The battery is not vey new, but I charged it last night and it seems ok. Even with the battery charged, reverse lights will not come on when I manually put it in reverse

Yes, key goes into position 2 without a problem.

And I found what wire the guy jumped that caused this problems, just unsure of the routing of it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3ee86fc1a0.jpg

Bradmercedes 05-22-2015 02:14 PM

Hi cwmateicu. Any luck with getting your car to start? I'm having a similar issue with my E550. It won't crank over. ESM, EIS, EIL are all ok. Thinking it's the ECM but not sure. Your diagnosis might help :D

cwmateiuc 06-29-2015 09:14 PM

Okay so I looked through STAR a bit more.

The Lower Control Panel does not communicate with STAR and neither does the ESM - electronic shift module. (they're also both next to each other)

Also, when I test the key position operation and I put the key to the "crank" position every termial goes to on except for "output terminal 50", it stays at "NO".

So, I'm assuming something is not giving the car the "OK" in order for it to go ahead and start the car, as I stated in a previous post in this thread where I posted a picture of the STAR screen, it says "Start enabled: NO".

Maybe something got fried when the guy tried jumping the airmatic compressor?

I'm starting to narrow it down to either a fuse that I can't seem to find, or something that controls both the ESM and the Lower Control Panel, and not sending some sort of signal it needs in it's sequence to give the OK to start the motor.

Does anyone know which SAM would control this? or a fuse? or something that may help :) lol

Thanks in advance!

cmriv 06-29-2015 09:41 PM

Your car has what style transmission?

cmriv 06-29-2015 09:45 PM

you should try sending 12volts straight to your starter

cwmateiuc 06-29-2015 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by cmriv (Post 6481582)
you should try sending 12volts straight to your starter

Thanks for the reply.

Well, the car doesn't try to start. If I jump the starter, it will most likely try to crank, but not start.. I wouldn't find out the actual problem still. There's something keeping it from trying to start.

cmriv 06-30-2015 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by cwmateiuc (Post 6481671)
Thanks for the reply.

Well, the car doesn't try to start. If I jump the starter, it will most likely try to crank, but not start.. I wouldn't find out the actual problem still. There's something keeping it from trying to start.

Understood, however you car isn't going to start at all unless you know it is capable of cranking. Which you don't correct? You can't even get a crank can you?

cwmateiuc 06-30-2015 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by cmriv (Post 6481935)
Understood, however you car isn't going to start at all unless you know it is capable of cranking. Which you don't correct? You can't even get a crank can you?

The car is capable of cranking. I have pictures of STAR showing th car not sending output for the car to start.
No communication with the shifter or lower control panel.

No communication with the shifter means the car doesn't know if it's in park or not.

cmriv 06-30-2015 08:20 AM

You have a 113 motor correct?

homeofstone 06-30-2015 08:41 AM

Have you considered that the cat could have been struck by lightning and that due to so many damaged electronics that its a total loss. I say this because the service manager at my dealership told me that they have had this happen on more than one occasion.

cwmateiuc 06-30-2015 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by cmriv (Post 6481946)
You have a 113 motor correct?

Nope, it's an e500 4matic

cwmateiuc 06-30-2015 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by homeofstone (Post 6481953)
Have you considered that the cat could have been struck by lightning and that due to so many damaged electronics that its a total loss. I say this because the service manager at my dealership told me that they have had this happen on more than one occasion.

I posted the whole story with the car. Everything works.

I need to figure out why it's not communicating with the shifter and LCP. STAR tells me everything, but I haven't figured that out yet.

BryanW203 06-30-2015 09:33 AM

Does your car have the power distribution block in the passenger floor board? Power going in and out of all connections?