MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Is it just me, or do your low beams suck? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/590515-just-me-do-your-low-beams-suck.html)

wjcandee 06-23-2015 10:14 PM

Is it just me, or do your low beams suck?

Our 2004 E500 has the HID projector lights. Ever since it arrived, the low beams have sucked. Really sucked. It is embarassing that a 2004 Honda in the adjacent lane has better low beams. It is worse that the Lexus in the adjacent lane has a nice, full area fully-illuminated in front of it.

Our dealer is useless, and I have since jettisoned them in favor of a much-better one in the City. However, before I spend a zillon dollars at the dealer on this, I thought I would ask for the Group's experience.

I replaced the factory low beams first with authentic Phillips bulbs and then with the Phillips Crystalvision bulbs. It really didn't do much, most likely just the effect of having newer Xenon bulbs in there.

A basic analysis of the pattern makes me think that the levelling is fine, and the computer shows no problems with it, but perhaps the left-right adjustment is a bit off. Again, there just isn't enough LIGHT in the area that is supposed to be illuminated. Could the bulbs not be seated correctly in the projector? Are there "brighter" bulbs available beyond the major brands? Why the heck does the newer Lexus put out such a huge amount of clear, white light in the constrained low-beam "box" in front of the car?

(The high beams have been truly awesome since I replaced them as well with the Phillips Crystalvision high beams. It's just the expensive low beam HIDs that suck. I get more light in the same area from the fog lights.)

clvincent 06-24-2015 03:44 AM

my 2006 e320 has the hid lights and my biggest complaint on them has also been that the low beams suck

running with the fogs on does not do much- changed the bulbs in the fogs to silverstar ultra and still do not think it does much, they do not go far enough

and agree my high beams are super bright

have paid 2 different dealers to level them, put in shocks on all 4 when they thought worn shocks my be screwing up the beams and redid the levelling
but no dice on low, still lousy

not sure what else to do, if you find a solution please post
i am considering doing the projector fogs to see if that may help...

samaritrey 06-24-2015 05:55 PM

Post a picture of your beam pattern against a wall
Yes the bulbs could not be seated right but I kind of doubt thats your issue.
Lexus has always had some of the best headlights on the road as for the Honda what Honda was it? If it was a s2000 they also have some of the best low beams around.

clvincent 06-24-2015 06:59 PM

wont be driving mine for a few days but i will post some pics when i drive it next

vettdvr 06-27-2015 08:42 AM

Yes they are weak. I upgraded the bulbs to brightstar for brighter lights. Caution if you use incorrect bulbs they can trip out the circuit.

clvincent 07-24-2015 02:19 AM

one of my hid bulbs went out and i just ordered the phillips xtreme vision bulbs from the retrofit source
they should get here and be put in monday i hope

i will post back with results whether it helps the low beam issue or not

my next step will probably be projector fogs if this does not help...

clvincent 08-04-2015 11:57 AM

wanted to update this

not long after this thread started i had a bulb go out

did some research and wanted to try the phillips extreme vision bulbs

so replaced those with phillips
bought white led running lights
my fogs are silverstar ultra and so are my halogen brights

i do think the phillips extreme vision is better on dim, nothing great but a medium improvement

think i read that these bulbs get brighter after using them a few days, have only driven the car once since they were put in
will report back if they seem better or not in a week, car should get a lot of miles this week

clvincent 08-13-2015 05:00 AM

i do think the phillips extreme got a little better with a few hours on them

not perfect but a good bit better than they were stock