MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   How to change seat belt color? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/607456-how-change-seat-belt-color.html)

e500slr 11-26-2015 05:16 AM

How to change seat belt color?

I'm changing the color of the seat belts in the car. Can one buy seat belts from accident involved cars or is there some airbag mechanism that blows?

This is for 2003-2006 models by the way.

Also, if there is a mechanism that blows, how can you identify if it's blown or not?

Thanks.

E 200 CDI 11-27-2015 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by e500slr (Post 6626520)
I'm changing the color of the seat belts in the car. Can one buy seat belts from accident involved cars or is there some airbag mechanism that blows?

This is for 2003-2006 models by the way.

Also, if there is a mechanism that blows, how can you identify if it's blown or not?

Thanks.

You should not by used seat belts that has been involved in a crasch, the seat belt can be weak and damaged (even if can not see it) if a person was wearing the seat belt during the crasch.
If you change for this kind of "damaged seat belts" it can be fatal if you crasch.

So do not do it!

e500slr 11-27-2015 11:25 AM

How can you tell if someone was wearing it or not?

kajtek1 11-27-2015 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by e500slr (Post 6627415)
How can you tell if someone was wearing it or not?

I guess with proper equipment you could measure the stretch, but not easy for DIY.
I would buy belts only from car with know record that will show what was involved in accident.
Pretensioners might get damage as well.

e500slr 11-27-2015 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 6627522)
I guess with proper equipment you could measure the stretch, but not easy for DIY.
I would buy belts only from car with know record that will show what was involved in accident.
Pretensioners might get damage as well.

No I'm pretty sure the seat belt itself isn't stretched as the car looks like it had a modest bump but the seat belt seems to have 2 airbag type connectors. The question is, what are these connectors for and do the components that are connected to these get damaged during a crash and how can you tell if they are damaged?

kajtek1 11-27-2015 08:29 PM

Seat belt are consider safety issue, therefore in any doubt are advised to be replaced with new ones.
As I said, beside belt fabric you have pretensioners.
Don't expect the manufacturer will post DIY on sacrificing your safety.
Realistically I think the risk of taking belts from bumped car is very low, but there is a reason why USA is having 400 times more (per capita) lawyers than the rest of the World.

e500slr 11-28-2015 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1 (Post 6627845)
Seat belt are consider safety issue, therefore in any doubt are advised to be replaced with new ones.
As I said, beside belt fabric you have pretensioners.
Don't expect the manufacturer will post DIY on sacrificing your safety.
Realistically I think the risk of taking belts from bumped car is very low, but there is a reason why USA is having 400 times more (per capita) lawyers than the rest of the World.

I'm not in the US and I'm pretty sure it's OK as wreckers are allowed to sell them. Brand new is $250 per belt, way too expensive.