E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

07 E63 AMG... Nothing but issues.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG
Thumbs down 07 E63 AMG... Nothing but issues.

Really regret buying this car as a work daily... My 900rwhp Corvette is alot more reliable. But anyways I need some help figuring some stuff out.
Rear bags started developing a leak to the point where it became undrivable and damaged the compressor. Replaced bags and compressor and compressor would not kick on manually, all fuses okay.
Anyways it aired up one day randomly. Month later another rear bag leak developed. Replaced the faulty bag, aired it up with a Autel maxi sys and bag blew up half way through the process. Drove it a mile home...

Ended up ordering arnotts rear coil spring conversion. Car sat for almost 3 weeks. Had the rear on jacks and unplugged the Airmatic module under the passenger carpet (2 big plugs and one small plug in the center) before I started working on it. When I got the rear buckled up and turned on the car and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
As soon as I turn it on I get "Pre-Safe Inoperative" followed by "Airmatic Malfunction" and a few seconds later "SRS Service Restraint System" comes on and my electric fans kick on at full speed. My steering wheel is hard to turn now. (Yes tried the steering angle sensor reset method)
I've been driving the car for about 500 miles like this now but I'm just tired of it...
I tried pulling the codes with an Autel Maxisys pro and it cannot connect to the PCM...
Tried it with my HPTuners and also fails to read
Tried it with a regular handheld code reader and same issue.

There is power to the OBD II port but it just does not communicate. I tried plugging the airmatic module back and still cannot connect to the ECU.

Voltage when off is Okay. 12.49V-12.60V when running 14.0-13.4V

Any pointers on what may have caused this... or any other way to get the PCM to communicate through the OBD II port...

Replaced the battery yesterday as it somehow failed the test with 12.60V and 97% charge, hoping that fixed the issue now I'm down another $250 on a battery.

Also tried unplugging both the Battery and ECU several times and no luck. Overnight both unlplugged no luck either.
For me I wouldn't mind driving it as is it's just that the steering wheel feels so heavy and the kick on at full speed so i'm sure that's the next thing to go out if they keep on running at 100% duty.. Causing it to leave me on the side of the road with an overheated car.

Also Is there a way that I can manually inflate the front bags?
Can I just jump the compressor relay and run power to the valve distribution block?

Last edited by ProblematicE63; 07-24-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I'll be happy to take the worry off your hands anytime
You start messing with computers, when it sounds like you don't have much computer knowledge.
I am good in mechanical repairs, but electronics is something I am staying away. I do have scanner who can access car functions and when something breaks, I research the forum how I can diagnose it and fix. On couple of occasions I had to turn to SDS gurus for help.
Your damages seem to be self-inflicted so I think your choice are
1-spend lot of time to learn how to diagnose car on SD
2- fill up suitcase with money and take it to a dealer.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dear "tale of wooooo"---you have just entered spam land---do us all a favor, find someone with a copy of DAS Xentry who will be able to read the system and in five minutes tell you what the issues are. Then you can use your stated mechanical skills to repair the complicated system.

FYI: your walmrt scanners can't read MB chassis modules. move on!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:24 PM

W211 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kajtek1
You start messing with computers, when it sounds like you don't have much computer knowledge.
I am good in mechanical repairs, but electronics is something I am staying away. I do have scanner who can access car functions and when something breaks, I research the forum how I can diagnose it and fix. On couple of occasions I had to turn to SDS gurus for help.

MaxiSys Pro was able to read the car before... Hence re-calibrating the suspension. I have HPTuners which I use to tune my other vehicles which also supports AMG platforms... That's how I figured out that it had a f'd up coil pack... Also replaced and tuned the car with a better injector since it started developing random misfires under light throttle.

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Dear "tale of wooooo"---you have just entered spam land---do us all a favor, find someone with a copy of DAS Xentry who will be able to read the system and in five minutes tell you what the issues are. Then you can use your stated mechanical skills to repair the complicated system.

FYI: your walmrt scanners can't read MB chassis modules. move on!
I did, tried it yesterday with STAR... Cant communicate either, there is power at the OBD II and fails to make a connection.
BTW MaxiSys Pro was $2300 which is alot more expensive than STAR & HPTuners Pro is $650... My brothers Snap-on Verus Edge pro which has all MB license features can't connect either.

I'm just wondering if anyone else have experienced a similar issue that may be a simple fix as a sensor that just so happens to share the same CAN communication with the port.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM

W211 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Bring $10.5k and it's yours. 2007 w/ 64k miles.
BTW what's so hard about unplugging the airmatic control module? You don't need a computer hardware engineer... (which ironically I'm a software engineer/developer) I make standalone harnesses all the time for LS based platforms for all different types of year model engines/trans setups.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by ProblematicE63
Bring $10.5k and it's yours. 2007 w/ 64k miles.
Where are you located?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:17 PM

W211 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Strigoi
Where are you located?
Houston. But work in Baton Rouge Louisiana during the week.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by ProblematicE63
Houston. But work in Baton Rouge Louisiana during the week.
If you were local I'd have seriously considered picking it up at that price.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
92 W124 500E, 93 W201 190E, 11 C207 E350, 05 W211 E55
You might want to let the pro's handle/diagnose the no-communication issue. Not to say you aren't capable but they have access to systematic troubleshooting methods/procedures to specific issues such as yours. And if they cant find it, they will just put in a call to the boys in Stuttgart and get definitive answers (I have seen them do it) Save's a lot time and stress scratching your head wondering what's wrong. My 2 Cents..