E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

hard steering like no power steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI, 500SL, 500SEC
hard steering like no power steering

Hello all.. I've bought myself a used loaded 2008 E320 CDI and was going to give the car to my son, but was amazed at the performance from this little gem. Anyway it has 200k miles on it however you wouldn't know it from looking at it and under the hood ect. Runs like a top and all. So steering is like no power steering at all. Fluids all up etc. Reading numerous threads and some research other places I was under the impression it was the Y10 solenoid valve. I took the rack down and removed the valve and noticed that the wire harness was going up to the fuse junction box and just fused in off a jumper. I thought this is no way mercedes tech. However I replaced it regardless and also the pump as thought maybe it was potentially bad too. Replaced the valve no change. then replaced the pump, no change. I can't imagine it being the rack though it potentially could be i guess. However wondering how the speed sensitive steering works? Is it conceivable that there could be a problem there? I don't see any other valve etc., or how that system would work. And this solenoid isn't being controlled by anything now. Where would the original harness come from if truly it was bypassed by this cobble work? Also wouldn't the steering work as it should with the solenoid energized or not, either way it should work at low speeds? I guess my next step is to get a pressure test on the system. However I'm considering other possible issues that are not related to the rack. Any help is truly appreciated.