E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Installed new air struts but car still to low

Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sport Sadan
Installed new air struts but car still to low

I have a 2005 E500 and I just installed two new front air struts but after the install the front of the car remains still to low to drive. The relay and fuses seem to be ok, the pump is relatively new, less than a year old and the back of the car is at a normal height. Is there anything I am supposed to do after installing the new front air struts that will readjust the height of the front back to normal?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Jeff Bertram
I have a 2005 E500 and I just installed two new front air struts but after the install, the front of the car remains still too low to drive. The relay and fuses seem to be ok, the pump is relatively new, less than a year old and the back of the car is at a normal height. Is there anything I am supposed to do after installing the new front air struts that will readjust the height of the front back to normal?
Hey Buddy, I recently installed a pair of front air struts. After the install, the car did not immediately self-level. I pressed the raise height button, and the car rose. I pressed the button again and the car went down to stock height, yay!

Not sure if you have already done this, but if not that should solve your problem. -Lex
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Hey Buddy, I recently installed a pair of front air struts. After the install, the car did not immediately self-level. I pressed the raise height button, and the car rose. I pressed the button again and the car went down to stock height, yay!

Not sure if you have already done this, but if not that should solve your problem. -Lex

I did try that but it didn't work. It sounds like I hear the pump come on and then quit before it's finished raising the car to the appropriate height. I guess the pump could be bad but it's less than a year old.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I did try that but it didn't work. It sounds like I hear the pump come on and then quit before it's finished raising the car to the appropriate height. I guess the pump could be bad but it's less than a year old.
That sucks, sorry.
Guess your next step is to change compressor pump?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
That sucks, sorry.
Guess your next step is to change compressor pump?
Ok, I pulled the compressor pump and manually tested it by jumping power to it using the battery and the pump turns on and runs so now I am really stumped. Before I removed the pump I tried to raise the car while it was jacked up just to where the tires were still on the ground but just barely. The computer register it being the correct height, the airmatic button says the car is rising but as soon as the Jack is lowered the car dropped back to being too low to drive. The struts are brand new Arnott air struts so this has got to be something simple that I am just missing.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Ok, I pulled the compressor pump and manually tested it by jumping power to it using the battery and the pump turns on and runs so now I am really stumped. Before I removed the pump I tried to raise the car while it was jacked up just to where the tires were still on the ground but just barely. The computer register it is the correct height, the airmatic button says the car is rising but as soon as the Jack is lowered the car dropped back to being too low to drive. The struts are brand new Arnott air struts so this has got to be something simple that I am just missing.
As far as I know, the 5 main components of airmatic, listed from least to the most complex, are:

1-Fuse
2-Relay
3-Ride Height Sensor
4-Compressor
5-Air Struts

Maybe check for voltage at the ride height sensor? Let me know how it goes...
Old 08-22-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
Do you get any message? You may have a leak somewhere but that should give you a message on the IC. Check the connectors to the valves on top of the struts. What is clear is that your struts are not getting pressurized air.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by gafitanu
Do you get any message? You may have a leak somewhere but that should give you a message on the IC. Check the connectors to the valves on top of the struts. What is clear is that your struts are not getting pressurized air.
Just wanted to chime in- definitely could be a leak somewhere. You could spray soapy water on the air hose. I guess the hard part is finding and following the entire route of the hose that supplied air. Maybe you'll get lucky and it is just a leak at the top of the strut, which I have read is a common problem.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
See if you can locate someone in your area with a Star diagnostic system. That will allow you to read out the pressure in the struts, manually raise/lower each front corner of the car by adding/releasing air pressure to the struts via Star. Add air to raise the car, then just monitor the pressure in the struts to see if they are leaking.

Before doing the above, have you checked the level sensors to ensure they were not disturbed/damaged or the connectors knocked loose? There is one sensor on each side connected to the upper control arm.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
This link might be helpful.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercede...ling-problems/
Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM

2005 E500 Wagon
I was going to say that when I did my front struts, I had a lot more luck after being able to clear the airmatic codes with my MBII reader. It seemed much more happy when the car didn't have any active codes in the airmatic system. This may not be helpful but thought I would bring it up.