E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Low fuel 2006 E320

Old 09-25-2017, 08:46 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Roop94
it should show on all models. Mine 06 e350 shows on the instrument cluster too. I think it starts to show when the approximate Range drops below 50 miles and u can press the Up or Down arrow button on the steering to make it disappear and it will pop back up in a few mins or so, 5 to 10 mins, not sure abt the time intervals.

I believe when the Range is arnd 10 miles or so...you still have almost a gallon remaining. I drove about 8-10 miles on 0 miles of Range and filled up 19.5 gallons when i got to the pump. That was bit scary, i was on a 7 mile long bridge with 0 mile of Range lol
yes i found it in the owners manual RESERVE FUEL, the reserve fuel quantity is 2.38 gallons according to the manual but i never saw the message pop up when the idiot light came on and I had a 50 mile range before I was able to fill the tank. I would think if the idiot light came on it would also trigger the display message. I'm going to test this again later in the week. However I did test the fuel cap open feature by driving 100 miles with the fuel cap stored in the door and the idiot light never flashed as stated in the manual.

Anybody with a CDI want to test out the open fuel cap warning? TIA
Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ot1
yes i found it in the owners manual RESERVE FUEL, the reserve fuel quantity is 2.38 gallons according to the manual but i never saw the message pop up when the idiot light came on and I had a 50 mile range before I was able to fill the tank. I would think if the idiot light came on it would also trigger the display message. I'm going to test this again later in the week. However I did test the fuel cap open feature by driving 100 miles with the fuel cap stored in the door and the idiot light never flashed as stated in the manual.

So what you're clearly saying is that you require something more than an idiot light...

Sorry man. Low hanging fruit and all that.

Buy a corolla.

BTW: Diesel doesn't have the same emissive qualities as gasoline.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by ot1

To start on a positive note with you, sorry you feel I did harass you. You are ok making comments such as "Mr. Frankly", but when one replies, you feel offended. But again, please accept my apology.

The instrument cluster will NOT show a message at the same time the idiot light comes on, there are a few miles of delay before the car REALLY alerts you it is time to add fuel. So once the idiot light comes on, you will need to continue to drive without refueling before the cluster shows the message, not sure though how many miles that is.

Hope this was helpful and not offensive to you.

Once again, APOLOGIES!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Tested, My idiot light came on at 65-75 (it was hilly) miles remaining according to the range display. I continued to drive it until 19 miles were left as I pulled into a station. No cluster message ever, I cycled through various displays while testing and never saw a RESERVE message as the miles whittled down.

And with an open fuel cap the idiot light never flashes even though the manual indicates that it should for a CDI.

Anyone with an 06 CDI ? Have experience with this issue?
Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI

Last edited by ot1; 09-30-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by ot1
Tested, My idiot light came on at 65-75 (it was hilly) miles remaining according to the range display. I continued to drive it until 19 miles were left as I pulled into a station. No cluster message ever, I cycled through various displays while testing and never saw a RESERVE message as the miles whittled down.

And with an open fuel cap the idiot light never flashes even though the manual indicates that it should for a CDI.

That's odd. Maybe there's a malfunction? idk. I always get the RESERVE notification on the display and the tank light turns on as well when the RANGE rolls down to 50.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ot1

You can enable (or disable on later cars) the reserve fuel warning display (tankreservewarnung) using a Star diagnostic system with developer mode enabled.
Only gasoline models have the fuel cap warning.