E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E500 Air Intake Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
2003 E500 Air Intake Cover Replacement

The air intake cover from my vehicle has two pieces: The main cover with the two air filters, and the front cover that hooks into the main cover. Three of the five brackets of the front cover have broken off from wear and tear (careless mechanics probably) so I decided to replace both units. New parts at even one of the online discount MB Dealer parts suppliers would have cost me almost $400. Found these two parts very plentiful on eBay: Bought a set from a good, reliable wreaking yard for $89. It was time to change my air filters anyway, so cleaned up the replacement set (was already well cleaned), installed the replacement covers, and looks great. But also discovered that the two air intake tubes were also deteriorated.......the underside of the two accordion sections was completely missing from the engine heat and wear & tear. I was surprised that my MB Dealer never mentioned this when I had my last A service, nor did a independent MB shop mentioned this to me when they replaced my spark plugs and wires. Anyway, ordered both new parts from an online MB Dealer's discount parts site parts.mercedesbenzof Durham.com for about $13 each.

I'm adding a photo of the two sections underside of the air intake cover. Some folks are not sure how to remove the cover. You first remove the front cover.......it has five connectors: Two slide into the main cover and the other three brackets are push/pull to mounts on the engine. Then there are four push/pull brackets are the main cover.......you can see them in the photo. To remove, pull up on one side of the cover, then the other side. To replace it, align the large rubber seal that connects to the MAF in the back of the engine and the two rear brackets and push down hard, then do the same for the front of the cover.......then attach the front piece of the cover.

Suggestion: For those of you with the high mileage vehicles like mine (184,000), don't forget finding used parts on eBay for certain requirements is a viable, money saving option instead of using brand new MB Dealer parts:
Attached Thumbnails 2003 E500 Air Intake Cover Replacement-s-l1600x.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mcleantmw; 09-25-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Add photo of air cover brackets
Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Who is this ebay person that you buy parts from?
Old 09-24-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by Strigoi
Who is this ebay person that you buy parts from?
The eBay seller's ID: germanautoresortllc

Their eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/germanautoresort

The insert with my air cover shipment indicates that German Auto Resort LLC is a local New Jersey, family owned salvage yard that sells used parts with two acres of inventory......post new donor vehicles weekly.

Martin is the person who responded to my eBay message asking they bubble wrap separately to the two pieces of the air cover to prevent damage to the connectors.......and they complied! I also asked could I buy a couple spare bolts for my vehicle's ignition coils and he responded that they removed them from one of their salvage vehicles and included them in my shipment free! Excellent customer service!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
family owned salvage yard
Quite familiar with a couple of "family owned" yards in East NY Brooklyn back in 70s