E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NTG2.5 aftermarket replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
NTG2.5 aftermarket replacement

Hello together, been tumbling through blogs and forums for weeks and could not get a proper answer and hope to find help here. I have a 2009 w211 with COMAND NTG2.5 and I want to install an aftermarket android + MOST converter.
HU:
https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Octa-C...ds=w211+xtrons https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Octa-C...ds=w211+xtrons
Converter: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...edes-benz.html

The NTG2.5 has a different pinout than the NTG1 and might have different installation requirements (pinout attached). Has somebody experience with replacing the NTG2.5?
Some telling me about an bypass extension cable which has to be wired from the HU to the amp, but nobody was able to explain the reason for it since all cables are right there going into the unit (GSP, FM Antena, power, fiber optics, etc.) or am I missing something?
I understand that the converter is required for the audio to optical conversion and that I might have to splice into CAN wires for the Steering HKs to work and other stuff, but re-running extension cable kits to the amp (FM, GPS, power) doesn't sound right to me, in other posts I saw aftermarket gps antennas (dashboard), fm antenna extensions to the amp and external microphones and hope it would be possible to avoid it. I would be happy if someone could clarify.

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
I'm really interested in hearing how this turns out; I made upgrade my nav soon as well. Keep us posted with what you find. How did you determine that your car required the fiber optic adapter? Did you look in the trunk (under trim, on driver side) and determine there was an amplifier (ie, indicating you have fiber optic)??
Old 11-02-2017, 04:35 PM

E350
I guess taking a look at the amp is a safe bet, since I had a HK sound system I assumed it would be fiber optic.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM

E350
So I did the installation, the Xtrons Android unit came on, the steering buttons and therefore the Canbox are working but the amp won't come on. That is due to the fact that the aftermarket unit is not an AGW and does not send a MOST wake-up signal like the factory NTG2.5 does.
Is there another way to power the amp with the ignition ON or is it impossible to replace the factory unit and keeping the factory amp and MOST work properly?
Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 4Matic Sport Package :: 2009 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by alexma
So I did the installation, the Xtrons Android unit came on, the steering buttons and therefore the Canbox are working but the amp won't come on. That is due to the fact that the aftermarket unit is not an AGW and does not send a MOST wake-up signal like the factory NTG2.5 does.
Is there another way to power the amp with the ignition ON or is it impossible to replace the factory unit and keeping the factory amp and MOST work properly?
Bump...how did this turn out? I’ve also got the 2.5 system in my 2009 and have found very little information on whether or not the android units work on ours.

Did everything get resolved? If so what was the solution and what parts did you have to buy?

thanks!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB E350 4Matic W211
i have a 2009 Mb E350 with HK and fiber optic. Our unit is not typical E class but it is actually 2009 ML350 COMAND NTG2.5. So you need a MOST for ML. I just upgraded mine with aftermarket. There is sound but I an FM antenna issue. Since it only had one blue GPS connection to the headunit.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB E350 4Matic W211
Hi, Just installed mine 1 weeks ago. Everything works except for radio and Voice command. Still trouble shooting the radio connection. If your model year is 2009 W211 - then the Comand unit is of a ML 350. My guess, in 2009, W211 was in the tail end of production and MB must have consolidated the comand units with the ML. When ordering your new head unit make sure you get the MOST adapter for a 2009 ML350. The E class MOST will not work ! I got my unit from DYNAVIN North America, Dynavin N7-MBE PRO. You may need to re-config the MOST wakeup, pin 16, of the new adapter to the existing connector. In my case new harness was on pin 13. The wiring layout is identical to the ML. Check out these videos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Ub1D6DC-I&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryoAOcJWna8

The back of my head unit is identical to those on the video.

front of 2009 E350 headunit

Back of head unit. Blue Fakra - Radio/Satellite Antenna Mustard Fakra - Bluetooth Antenna (you do not need it) Green Fakra - for reverse camera White Fakra connector - not used if you have satellite radio unit

The white connector (lower left of pic) is for other accessories. there are 2 bundles on mine. One for the microphones and the other I do not know. I did not use these since the new unit comes with a mic.
Also attached the pin out diag below.

Radio not working issue - there is only one Antenna connection to the Comand unit in my car that is the blue Fakra connector. This serves as the radio and the satellite antenna. The radio has a antenna amp located in rear passenger left side. I have not got to this yet but hope to connect this directly to the antenna amp.

MB E350 Antenna Amp location

Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pinout_COMAND_NTG2.5 (1).pdf (364.0 KB, 170 views)