E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes E-class auto gear upshift problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz E-class
Mercedes E-class auto gear upshift problem

I have a Mercedes Benz E-class (E240), 2006 model, auto transmission. I live in Bhutan and we do not have Mercedes Service Centre here. The problem with my car is, while driving uphill the auto gear does not shift up unless I give it full acceleration but no problem driving downhill or level road. Pls help. I did all I can, changed the Electric Kit as well as the 13-pin connector plug. I ordered the parts from Singapore since Mercedes parts are not available in Bhutan. Your valuable advices are sought after. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
I do not think there is a real solution. I also have experienced the same issue. The only solution is to bump (push to the + side) the shifter to manually make the transmission shift up. I usually leave the drive mode in S because I prefer the 1st gear starts, but then I think the transmission computer holds onto the lower gears, especially if it is going uphill. Very annoying but not really much you can do.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:10 AM

Mercedes Benz E-class
Mine is full automatic transmission, no manual option. So I am at the mercy of the auto shift. Anyways, thank you for the input F1Fan. If other posters have any experience to share, I request to kindly do so. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
You can try a transmission reset by performing the following:
Put the key in ignition, turn to pos 2, floor pedal for 5 to 20 seconds (nobody really knows who long it really takes), turn key back to off, leave it in the ignition though, then release gas pedal, wait until your cluster goes off (that's when your CAN-B CAN-Bus shuts down) and remove the key. Lock the car if you want or need to so you can go back inside the house.
Mike T.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Mercedes Benz E-class
Thank you for the input mtrevelino. I`ll try that. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by karmabhutan
I have a Mercedes Benz E-class (E240), 2006 model, auto transmission. I live in Bhutan and we do not have Mercedes Service Centre here. The problem with my car is, while driving uphill the auto gear does not shift up unless I give it full acceleration but no problem driving downhill or level road. PlsHave help. I did all I can, changed the Electric Kit as well as the 13-pin connector plug. I ordered the parts from Singapore since Mercedes parts are not available in Bhutan. Your valuable advices are sought after. Thank you.
Have you tried a full transmission flush?
If so, did it help?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Mercedes Benz E-class
Thank you mtrevelino and LexBrett2. I tried mtrevelino`s advice but no adverse improvement but appreciate your time. MexBrett2: I flushed the transmission some days ago as per an online recommend but wasn`t any help. With some research I did online, I think I should try clean up or replace the switch under the accelerator of which I came to know just today. Wish me luck<grin> and thank you F1Fan, mtrevelino and LexBrett2. Your time and effort much appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:52 AM

Mercedes Benz E-class
I worked on the switch clean-up (which is working fine) under the accelerator pedal but still the auto gear won`t upshift easily while driving uphill. If anyone out there encountered similar problem, pls help. Thank you.

Last edited by karmabhutan; 11-19-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Does it really not have the manual control? That is, when the automatic is in drive mode, there should be a manual function by pushing the gear shift left and right to manually shift up and down. It over rides the brain box.

Peter
Old 11-26-2017, 12:02 AM

Mercedes Benz E-class
Hi Peter, I always assumed my e-class Mercedes is full-time auto gear. Thank you for pointing out. I checked online and it seems I also have the manual option. I`ll try. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Mercedes Benz E-class
Thank you Peter. There indeed is manuel option, indicated as + - on either side `D`. My ignorance. Going manuel mode while driving uphill is most helpful now. I realized spending over US$ 1000 on this issue was a waste of dough<grin>. Lesson learned, I pass on here. If anyone encounter any problem with your cars(any car), I think its best to brainstorm, research and check online, seek advices. Rather then listen to some of the parts dealer and get robbed of your money. It`s quite interesting(rather disappointing!) that the Mercedes Company do not seem to do much on issues of car problems. I did not come across any such useful online platform. Maybe for them once the car is sold, they don`t care<besides the warranty>.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E500 Wagon, BMW Z4 M Coupe, Mini
I love the E500 engine, but never been a fan of the shift points. The torque kicks in at 2000RPM, but unless you are hard on the gas the transmission often wallows below 2000. It is especially annoying when climbing a steep hill and it upshifts at 2000 and you lose all power. I suppose this is a luxury car, but it would have been nice if the S mode incorporated a sportier program. I spoke with Eurocharged a while ago, and they said they can remap the shift points as part of their ECU flash. This would really bring this car to life more than any horsepower gains.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Mercedes Benz E-class
I think Mercedes never perfected in auto transmissions even though they could somehow win the world as one of top brands in the motor world. I come across a lot of Mercedes owners online, having trouble with their Mercedes cars and given the complex nature of auto transmissions(and problems with other components), many people maybe throwing money(like me) down the drains with the hope of getting their car problem resolved. I favor Mercedes but at times its discouraging given the lack of or limited global reach and technical support.