How to extend/repair power cord for reverse camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
How to extend/repair power cord for reverse camera

I recently purchased a beautiful Nikita backup camera on amazon- the starlight feature is supposed to give the best night vision.

Last night I went to install, even though I have the flu and my mind is hazy. The power cord wasn't quite long enough.

For those who have installed a reverse camera, the camera is powered by you reverse lights that connect to a red RCA male.

So in a striking moment of dazzling brilliance, I just cut the power cord, figuring I would solder a longer wire.

​​​​​​To my surprise, the red power wire had TWO little wires within. I tried to connect two small wires to the respective black and red wires, but nothing?!

I suspect that I'm confusing the polarity? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Pics are attached below and should be self explanatory. Thanks so much in advance...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
FORGOT to mention that when I was testing connecting the wires off of the car with an auxiliary power source they caught on FIRE! A little fire but still disconcerting! Does that mean I just need a thigher gauge wire? Even though the wires themselves are tiny?!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
That picture you have shows a black wire and a red wire… that’s the 12v and ground. Plug one end to the 12v source and figure out which wire is which… but judging from the color the red is the + and the black is the ground.If it caught fire that’s not good… have a link to the actual camera on amazon? My first guess is that it’s a cheap camera if it caught fire… I use only crimestopper or rydeen cameras. In the 10/12 years I’ve been adding cameras I’ve never once had any issues with them. I did a search for that brand and nothing comes up Nikita?
In all reality you don’t even need the RCA type connector for power. Just tap off the rear of the taillight. In my case I tapped off the rear cig adaptor in the trunk. I did that because I didn’t want the can bus to throw any errors from thinking that one bulb was pulling more voltage by powering the camera.

-Nigel