E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Will AUX battery in my W211 affect gear shift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200
Will AUX battery in my W211 affect gear shift?

I had a failure in the AUX battery (red sign almost every day).
I drove with the red sign and I had some more lights on. The engine light was ON and SBC is not working.
The most worrying problem is that I was stuck in the first gear. I couldn't even go to R without turning OFF/ON the car
Now I replaced the AUX battery. The SBC started working again (SBC H for example) and also the gear shift is working.
Is it possible that the problem with the gear shift was caused by dead AUX battery? Or do I need to replace the gear electric board?
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 AM

W211 E200
After some reading, I have seen that AUX battery can cause the car to go to "limp" mode, so, finger crossed, I hope I resolved the problem with replacing the AUX battery.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It is not that battery itself will put car in limp mode, but MB made several idiot-preventive programs in the cars, that will force neglecting driver to take care about the safety-related repairs.
You are the 2nd guy on forums, who went so far with red lights on the cluster and I think now you need SD to reset the system.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM

W211 E200
Originally Posted by kajtek1
It is not that battery itself will put car in limp mode, but MB made several idiot-preventive programs in the cars, that will force neglecting driver to take care about the safety-related repairs.
You are the 2nd guy on forums, who went so far with red lights on the cluster and I think now you need SD to reset the system.
Thanks for calling me that :-) , but, instead of red lights, wasn't it better for idiots writing:
"Your auxiliary battery is failing! We are putting the car in limp mode until you go and repair the fault"
Or, it would take a lot from $200 diagnostic AutoStar miracle?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
No aux will not cause limp mode, but SBC service limit will
Old 02-28-2018, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by ethanasi
Thanks for calling me that :-) , but, instead of red lights, wasn't it better for idiots writing:
"Your auxiliary battery is failing! We are putting the car in limp mode until you go and repair the fault"
Or, it would take a lot from $200 diagnostic AutoStar miracle?
For the record - I did not call you anything. . I posted simple technical conclusion.
Your suggestion would be nice, but I see 3 obstacles.
1. the cluster LCD doesn't have that much letters in it.
2. letting owner know what is happening with the car would put dealers out of bussiness
3. European culture is different, so not only manufacturers expect from the user more knowledge, but the "political correctness" is less observed and when you screw something up, you have good chance to hear direct comment.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:01 AM

W211 E200
Originally Posted by kajtek1
For the record - I did not call you anything. . I posted simple technical conclusion.
Your suggestion would be nice, but I see 3 obstacles.
1. the cluster LCD doesn't have that much letters in it.
2. letting owner know what is happening with the car would put dealers out of bussiness
3. European culture is different, so not only manufacturers expect from the user more knowledge, but the "political correctness" is less observed and when you screw something up, you have good chance to hear direct comment.
I fully understand what you're saying, and I can see why MB is keeping codes "secret", so I am not pushing this discussion any further :-)

Going back to my problem, my 3$ ELM327 reports:
p0705 - transmission range sensor circuit malfunction prndl input
and it cannot be cleared.
My mechanic is saying that I need to replace the whole Gear Shift module :-(
Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM

W211 E200
Just the follow up:
I replaced the Gear Shift module and everything seems OK.
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (03-01-2018)
Old 01-19-2022, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES CC CLASS (W)204
hi i have a c class c180 (w)240 which has a 12v 12ah 170 amp battery in the boot when i test the battery voltage at the terminals is 11.4v on aux battery when testing at main terminal on 13.6v the aux battery relay main voltage is 13.6v this is when engine is running when accelerating car goes into limp mode NB ECO light stays yellow on dash the gearbox jerks in gear then goes into limp mode STOP /START and HOLD assist not working at one stage when driving off and auto door lock comes on all these symptoms happened at the same time Extra info using AUTEL MaxPRO following fault codes P033904 U41600 U010100 on previous dignosis fault TCM module overvoltage fault whic led me to check aux battery system

Last edited by MAR12; 01-19-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,010 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Limp mode... under volted

I would recommend you try fixing the cause of 11.4V... nothing good happens under dismal start/run voltages.

The AUX voltage says healthy!

What are those DTC pointing you to?
Old 02-18-2023, 05:50 AM

Cls55 amg
I had red ligh visit workshop. My aux battery was completely dead. My transmission wasn't good. Always after acceleration the transmission was sticking on2nd gear. I change the battery and everything goes back to normal.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:49 PM

2003 W211 kompressor 200 wagon
Aux bat limp

Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
No aux will not cause limp mode, but SBC service limit will
I've been screaming my w211 around in 2 gear (limp) for a couple of weeks now (haven't had the dough to put it in the garage yet) I've got SRS restraint system defective and SBC Hold unavailable! Thumps into drive and reverse with no select gear display on the dash.. Had the aux tested and although it still has a certain amount of charge 12.4? It showed the battery was faulty or not particularly good if you like. I had the SBC completely "serviced" after the dreaded break pedal to the floor and red WARNING and BEEPING display on the dash about 2 years ago now which thankfully hasn't returned and breaks work fine apart from the occasional hum which isn't the same as the normal ABS noise but from the same location. Could this be an auxiliary battery related issue? OBD giving p0705..
Old 03-19-2023, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,010 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Dismal voltage...

Originally Posted by Etimram
I've been screaming my w211 around in 2 gear (limp) for a couple of weeks now (haven't had the dough to put it in the garage yet) I've got SRS restraint system defective and SBC Hold unavailable! Thumps into drive and reverse with no select gear display on the dash.. Had the aux tested and although it still has a certain amount of charge 12.4? It showed the battery was faulty or not particularly good if you like. I had the SBC completely "serviced" after the dreaded break pedal to the floor and red WARNING and BEEPING display on the dash about 2 years ago now which thankfully hasn't returned and breaks work fine apart from the occasional hum which isn't the same as the normal ABS noise but from the same location. Could this be an auxiliary battery related issue? OBD giving p0705..
Redlining your limp mode engine... my call for action
Hear this to save your some resources:

TIP #1: TEST!
batteries are not cure-all mistery containers.
Test batteries are being charged by car.

You can test parts before replacing or you can test 'em after. This is where MB shops and DIY'ers stories usually fork apart.
DIY path is an opportunity to learn a thing or two or surrender to pros.

TIP #2: TODA..!
You know about putting 2 and 2 together, right? Prepare some joy....

I think actually we have a cause for celebration: your flat battery is the smoking gun for your limp mode.

DC POWER is not reaching all circuits and undervolting major modules (Gear selector, Steering, Ignition,...) - These smart modules thrive on clean power to exchange clean data. The current power chaos is impacting that process.

Here, we're gona give ourselves a break.

A > I dont know what power handler part is toast. Like some kind of power relay..??

B > I don't know what modules share that poor voltage supply. Get your car alternator power distribution diagnosed.

With answers to A + B your car will be back in the fast lanes.

(In memoriam of how wide the crying skies opened up this morning to welcome the departed spirit we sent)