E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Audio upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 (sport)
Aftermarket Audio upgrade?

I'm interested in changing the stock audio system in my 03' e500. Bluetooth, XM etc. That said....I realize these lovely monsters (w211's) are balanced on an electronic needle. I don't want to interrupt ignition or braking

I also have an affinity for a "stock looking" dash. I don't want the car to look like a cheap disco...

Success stories and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
DB
Old 06-23-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
There are multiple options for you. There is a Chinese head unit that operates on android auto and has a near-stock look. Just about any other third party head unit can be installed "plug and play" into the factory system with an Opti-1 module. There are several threads out there on third party installs. Here's the thread on what I did: https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ions-w211.html

I have a DNX9990HD head unit and a dash kit I don't need. If you're interested, shoot me a pm.

Here's a thread on the Chinese Android units: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-pics-txt.html

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 06-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:35 AM
VBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Hi Everyone. I'd like to hijack this thread with a me-too scenario...
I'm also considering a radio upgrade and wonder if I could get some input.

I have a 2003 E320 with the Harman/Kardon Logic7 audio system and the crappy base-model small screen head unit. (NO-AUX, NO-BT, NO-NAV, etc.)
Not having any means of connecting my phone is a frustration. I currently use a Bluetooth cassette tape, but it needs to be removed and recharged somewhat frequently, which is annoying.

As I understand it, there are a few cons of going the aftermarket route:
  • Spend a bunch of money on the radio...
  • Then spend a bunch more on a steering wheel interface.
  • Then it won't be able to drive all the speakers unless I spend even more money on a Fiber interface or extra amplifiers.
    • If I do a fiber Interface, I lose surround and ability to fade - essentially downgrading to regular stereo - but all speakers work.
    • If I opt for fiber bypass with sufficient additional amplifier(s) to retain all speakers, the cost and install complexity goes up - possibly to an unjustifiable level.

I do not want to have to sacrifice audio quality and features for the sake of more features.
I also don't want to spend a fortune.
It seems that I can't have both.

So, I have 2 main questions:
  • Is there any new technology that improves integration of aftermarket radios, or have I hit the nail on the head regarding the issues encountered?
  • Is there any other way to get an AUX input?
    • Can the head unit be replaced an upgraded factory head unit? Would this add AUX input or is it wired in elsewhere?
    • Are there any other parts that can be switched out to achieve this (or other improvements) without rewiring everything?
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
06 E500 4Matic Wagon
I'm in the same situation and I'm looking at this unit. Along with replacing the blown center dash speaker. I have the harmon kardon system with nav.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...tp=72310&avf=Y
Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Originally Posted by Onyxthecat
I'm in the same situation and I'm looking at this unit. Along with replacing the blown center dash speaker. I have the harmon kardon system with nav.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...tp=72310&avf=Y
If your center speaker works, but its vibrating, it can easily be fixed most of the time. Just remove and glue the outer edge back onto the speaker frame. It just detaches due to exposure to heat.
The following 2 users liked this post by ps2cho:
Onyxthecat (07-08-2018), StradaRedlands (07-11-2018)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500, 52k miles
Update?