E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 rear brakes keep seizing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500
W211 rear brakes keep seizing

I went to replace rear calipers on a 2005 e500. After taking passanger side out cylinder was fully extended. I had to use large clamps in order to push it back. Put everything back together and went for a drive. The side I had issues with starts slowly to squeal untill it starts to smell and smoke. After I stop depress brake padle it seems to let go for couple seconds and then it starts to slowly squeal again until it seizes.

I took the caliper off took the cylinder out and it seems that oil keeps filling the cylinder non-stop. This seems to explain slow seizing of the calipers as oil keeps filling up pressure keeps building until it starts to push brake pads against disc.
​​​​​
i used sds to bleed reset but nothing worked I had the car on the lift put it in drive both rear wheels spin for about 30 seconds untill passanger side starts to squeal and completely stops the wheel from spinning.

Is this a bad brake caliper cylinder? Bad master cylinder? Anyone had similar issues?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by bruce24
I went to replace rear calipers on a 2005 e500. After taking passanger side out cylinder was fully extended. I had to use large clamps in order to push it back. Put everything back together and went for a drive. The side I had issues with starts slowly to squeal untill it starts to smell and smoke. After I stop depress brake padle it seems to let go for couple seconds and then it starts to slowly squeal again until it seizes.

I took the caliper off took the cylinder out and it seems that oil keeps filling the cylinder non-stop. This seems to explain slow seizing of the calipers as oil keeps filling up pressure keeps building until it starts to push brake pads against disc.
​​​​​
i used sds to bleed reset but nothing worked I had the car on the lift put it in drive both rear wheels spin for about 30 seconds untill passanger side starts to squeal and completely stops the wheel from spinning.

Is this a bad brake caliper cylinder? Bad master cylinder? Anyone had similar issues?

Update figured it out brake line had stuff in it cleaned it out and boom it's working
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Originally Posted by bruce24
Update figured it out brake line had stuff in it cleaned it out and boom it's working

Hmm, sounds like it's little overdue for a complete brake fluid flush and replacement of flexible hoses. There is not supposed to be any "stuff" other then brake fluid inside.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:03 PM

2003 E500
that i did few days later i replaced all the hoses and the fluid