E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Proud new owner of a 2005 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Proud new owner of a 2005 E320

So I can't say I was looking for a Benz but I ended up with one since it was such a good deal. (and after reading a bunch of stuff here about them researching). 2005 E320 with navigation 107k and got it for 4k. Garage kept, every single service record from dealership since it was bought, 4 brand new Michelin's on it, absolutely flawless tan interior just some very minor scratches on paint but nothing that can't be buffed out. .I have lots of questions but the main one is the only "issue", and it really is very intermittent, is the suspension doing some adjusting on hills after stopping or coming to a stop? Guy said that the dealer told him it was supposed to do that (doubtful) and was just wondering what it was. I know I read some of them had air suspensions or something? I have no idea it really hardly ever happens it just sounds like some type of motor for like a second when it does happen. Also I want to take care of this car like it has been previously, what type of scheduled maintenance should I have coming up and what does it consist of? I think I am going to just pay the dealer freight to keep servicing it, albeit very begrudgingly.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I'll bet you're hearing the brake's hydraulic pump building pressure. There's a sticky at the top of this forum regarding SBC braking systems, the NTSB, and the extended warranty.
Could also be the airmatic suspension compressor, but I don't have that on my car and can't speak to what it sounds like.
At any rate, they're two (expensive) potential failure points on the car. The SBC is covered now by a 25 year warranty. The airmatic isn't, but can be replaced with coilover shocks if you choose, when it fails.
You'll also want to read up on the crankshaft issues, and find out if yours has been addressed or not.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
I'll bet you're hearing the brake's hydraulic pump building pressure. There's a sticky at the top of this forum regarding SBC braking systems, the NTSB, and the extended warranty.
Could also be the airmatic suspension compressor, but I don't have that on my car and can't speak to what it sounds like.
At any rate, they're two (expensive) potential failure points on the car. The SBC is covered now by a 25 year warranty. The airmatic isn't, but can be replaced with coilover shocks if you choose, when it fails.
You'll also want to read up on the crankshaft issues, and find out if yours has been addressed or not.
Reading thread now but can't say I understand it really.....thanks for giving me the heads up on it though. Coilovers are definitely in my future regardless, I want to get some stock Benz 19's eventually and do the suspension with them. Who makes good coilovers for MB?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Well on the E320's I think airmatic was an option so it's not clear if you have it or not. I think if you did you might have controls to raise or lower it. Post your VIN and we'll see if it has it.

Also if you take it to the dealer this month, don't forget to use this $125 off $250+ service coupon.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...ndofsummer2018
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Bigslick78
Who makes good coilovers for MB?
First link, might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/str...-p-143978.html
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well on the E320's I think airmatic was an option so it's not clear if you have it or not. I think if you did you might have controls to raise or lower it. Post your VIN and we'll see if it has it.

Also if you take it to the dealer this month, don't forget to use this $125 off $250+ service coupon.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...ndofsummer2018

Nice thanks!

Only control I have is the C/S button next to the shifter, and I'm guessing that is the sport mode switch to manual so no air suspension. I have been trying to replicate the sound but really can't seems to be random. It is definitely a tiny vibration felt in the brake pedal though when it does happen.

VIN is WDBUF65J15A729032

One other question.......how do I pull up the radio code for Sirius?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
The C/S button is for comfort and sport mode for the transmission. In comfort it should start off in second gear while sport starts in first. I do notice a difference in how my E63 shifts depending on which mode it's in.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bigslick78
Nice thanks!

Only control I have is the C/S button next to the shifter, and I'm guessing that is the sport mode switch to manual so no air suspension. I have been trying to replicate the sound but really can't seems to be random. It is definitely a tiny vibration felt in the brake pedal though when it does happen.

VIN is WDBUF65J15A729032

One other question.......how do I pull up the radio code for Sirius?
Vin decoder here:

https://www.datamb.com/

Doesn't look like you have Sirius, it's usually listed as an option code. I think in order to activate it you just use the VIN. Do you get the preview channel when you hit the button?

You don't have airmatic so either the suspension is old and creaky or it's the SBC of your brakes kicking in.

Oh a vibration could also be the motor mounts are gone, but you should notice that all the time when it's in drive.

Also it's pretty basic, not too many options although you do have the side blinds in the rear.

Last edited by cetialpha5; 09-17-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Vin decoder here:

https://www.datamb.com/

Doesn't look like you have Sirius, it's usually listed as an option code. I think in order to activate it you just use the VIN. Do you get the preview channel when you hit the button?

You don't have airmatic so either the suspension is old and creaky or it's the SBC of your brakes kicking in.

Oh a vibration could also be the motor mounts are gone, but you should notice that all the time when it's in drive.

Also it's pretty basic, not too many options although you do have the side blinds in the rear.
Oh so I don't even have Sirius capability?? I think when I hit the button it says :"no satellite" or something on the next screen. Definitely isn't a "preview" screen of any sort I know that. That sucks. I guess I was confused with there being a button there for it. I'm not sure there is anywhere to mount a sirius display unit unless it can fit in the little spot to the left of the lighter or something.

I'm going with SBC of brakes kicking in on the noise, definitely not suspension or motor mounts or anything.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, there's a preview channel that just plays a bunch of promo stuff if you don't have it activated. If you get nothing then it sounds like you really don't have it. Kinda like how the phone buttons make people think it might have bluetooth, but bluetooth was an option and all cars had the button whether you had the option or not. It just didn't work if you didn't have the option.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
pump your brake pedal several times when the car is off. You'll hear the brake hydraulic pump kick on to build the pressure back up.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
pump your brake pedal several times when the car is off. You'll hear the brake hydraulic pump kick on to build the pressure back up.
Ok so I just did this.......and that is exactly what it is apparently. Pumped it 3x right after I started car and right on cue....boom. Can't say I've ever owned a vehicle (and I have owned plenty of all varieties) that did this but it sounds like the guy wasn't bs'ing me when he said dealer said it was supposed to do that. Thanks man mystery solved, I thought for a minute there was some expensive repair down the road it was going to need to be done.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 PM

2005 E320
Ok so the google found me this thread on a possible fix for the noise. Anyone have an idea how much is this damper going to cost me including labor? Obviously the car is not under warranty anymore.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...my03-06-a.html