E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Electrical buzzing/humming noise at night when parked.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 e500
Electrical buzzing/humming noise at night when parked.

So the other night I was wandering around my living room at 11 pm trying to figure out this weird buzzing noise I was hearing. It sounded like an electrical transformer or power supply, and I figured maybe it was related to the Christmas tree lights my wife had just installed. Nope, everything was unplugged from the wall. I went to bed still hearing the faint electrical whine...

My wife heard it the next day - she unlocked and then locked the E500 with the remote and said the noise stopped. She is convinced the noise was coming from the car while it was sitting in our carport. It is a 2006 and has just over 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't get driven much (as the mileage would suggest) but it is babied.

Any idea what this might be? I'm terrified it might be related to the suspension system, since everyone has always told me that is this Achilles' heel of this car (I bought it 5 years ago with 38k on the clock and all the dealer service records for every single scheduled service)

Thanks

PS - I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gaskets - doesn't' seem like to big of a job, so if I need to devote time to working on it, this will be the time...
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
SOLD W203..CURRENTLY DRIVING W211
Could be your sbc pump or the airmatic compressor both make noise sometimes when you unlock a car
Old 12-19-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
Mrs not lost a vibro on a timer ?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 e500
Originally Posted by Gazwould
Mrs not lost a vibro on a timer ?
That is a comment I would have expected on a BMW forum...

Last edited by sbsyncro; 12-20-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:26 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by sbsyncro
So the other night I was wandering around my living room at 11 pm trying to figure out this weird buzzing noise I was hearing. It sounded like an electrical transformer or power supply, and I figured maybe it was related to the Christmas tree lights my wife had just installed. Nope, everything was unplugged from the wall. I went to bed still hearing the faint electrical whine...

My wife heard it the next day - she unlocked and then locked the E500 with the remote and said the noise stopped. She is convinced the noise was coming from the car while it was sitting in our carport. It is a 2006 and has just over 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't get driven much (as the mileage would suggest) but it is babied.

Any idea what this might be? I'm terrified it might be related to the suspension system, since everyone has always told me that is this Achilles' heel of this car (I bought it 5 years ago with 38k on the clock and all the dealer service records for every single scheduled service)

Thanks

PS - I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gaskets - doesn't' seem like to big of a job, so if I need to devote time to working on it, this will be the time...
why not record the sound and post it so we can take an educated guess
do you have a remote FOB with a panic button?

Last edited by ot1; 12-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by ot1

why not record the sound and post it so we can take an educated guess
+1 on that.

The SBC makes some noise, but it doesn't go on for very long unless there is a problem. I don't have Airmatic, so I don't know about that, but I would think that if the compressor pump were running a lot, you would know.