E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Keyless go Handle- Can you swap parts?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS
Keyless go Handle- Can you swap parts?

I have a 2009 e350 and 1 of keyless go handles work on the car. The passenger side lock & unlocks fine, all other handles are dead. sometimes when I pull the driver handle I hear water squirting out from being the handle pull. From what I read its a common problem and a simple fix if your handle is the only thing giving you the issue. I can not for the life of me find a used white handle on ebay or junk yards, they have every color except for white.

I was thinking of buying lets say a black handle and swapping the parts. Is that possible before I waste my time and energy...
Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You're going to need to replace it with a new one.

On my car the keyless-go does not work with the driver's side handle. I had my door apart a couple of weeks ago while replacing the lock assembly; I looked into disassembling the door handle in an attempt to see if I could replace the micro-switch and gasket inside but no joy to be had. The handle appears to be a "one-time" assembly; i.e. you have to break it to disassemble it. On mine it appeared the gasket failed allowing water infiltration into the switch. While the handle was off the door I verified the micro-switch was not functioning using a multi-meter. Maybe I'll just replace the door handle (maybe a 15-minute job) but for >$200 for the part I'll take my time. If so, I'll break apart the old handle and post photos; maybe there is a way to disassemble but it was not obvious to me at the time.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:10 PM

Lexus IS
thats what I had figured. I can not find a white one for the life of me. Junk yards are clueless when it comes to Keyless go and non KG handles/parts.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
Everything I've read says to stay away from used stuff anyway. They are just as likely to die tomorrow from the same problem.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Right, I'd skip the used ones. The handles seem to fail after 4-6 years so if they've got a few years on them, they could die the next day or the next year.

You can also just get the handle painted. Mine is designo graphite and they don't even list that as a color you can buy so the dealer had to paint it. Just buy the cheapest one and paint it, I think the black one is usually the cheapest.

There was one thread a while back where someone claimed to have found a switch from an old fax machine. I took one of my old ones apart too, very easy to damage the rubber membrane covering it and it doesn't look that simple to replace the switch even if you could find one that fits. When mine goes again, I'm just going to do the driver's door.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Right, I'd skip the used ones. The handles seem to fail after 4-6 years so if they've got a few years on them, they could die the next day or the next year.

You can also just get the handle painted. Mine is designo graphite and they don't even list that as a color you can buy so the dealer had to paint it. Just buy the cheapest one and paint it, I think the black one is usually the cheapest.

There was one thread a while back where someone claimed to have found a switch from an old fax machine. I took one of my old ones apart too, very easy to damage the rubber membrane covering it and it doesn't look that simple to replace the switch even if you could find one that fits. When mine goes again, I'm just going to do the driver's door.
Do you know if the cls handle fits or any other model?
Old 12-29-2018, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
No idea about the CLS handles, you'd have to use something like EPC to see what the part numbers are and then when you look up the part number on line, it might mention some other models. But basically MB looks up parts by VIN so that's more of a parts guy question.

Oh and in case it wasn't clear, in your original question, you asked if you could swap parts, you can't just buy a black handle and expect to swap parts. The rubber membrane covering it doesn't come apart easily and I think if you rip it, it defeats the whole purpose of keeping water out of the switches inside. But you could probably buy a black handle and buy the touch up paint and just paint it. Some also claimed that you could swap handles from front to back but not side to side, but there are 4 different part numbers so some say you can't and other say you can. It's possible that it's specific to a particular year.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:21 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
No idea about the CLS handles, you'd have to use something like EPC to see what the part numbers are and then when you look up the part number on line, it might mention some other models. But basically MB looks up parts by VIN so that's more of a parts guy question.

Oh and in case it wasn't clear, in your original question, you asked if you could swap parts, you can't just buy a black handle and expect to swap parts. The rubber membrane covering it doesn't come apart easily and I think if you rip it, it defeats the whole purpose of keeping water out of the switches inside. But you could probably buy a black handle and buy the touch up paint and just paint it. Some also claimed that you could swap handles from front to back but not side to side, but there are 4 different part numbers so some say you can't and other say you can. It's possible that it's specific to a particular year.
Thanks this is very helpful! I will keep the post updated.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:05 PM
VII

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
If your color is not standard buy the primed only part, if you buy another color that means extra labor and more likely to end up with defects.
As stated the problem is water ingress and no good solution once the micro switches are done. If you notice the seal is breaking you might be able to reseal before they are damaged.