MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Brake pad wear, front or rear? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/732508-brake-pad-wear-front-rear.html)

gafitanu 01-10-2019 12:07 PM

Brake pad wear, front or rear?

Is there a way to find which brakes are throwing the "Brake Pad Wear" message with DAS?
I tried several ways yesterday but no success. Rear brakes last twice as long as the front ones but I would like to know for sure before I buy pads and rotors.

My_E350 01-10-2019 04:37 PM

Why can't you just literally look at the brakes? Its easy to see brake pads through the wheels.

gafitanu 01-11-2019 07:52 AM

Yes, I can look at the brakes. I am curious, the pad wear is registered as a flag in the system, apparently the sensors are wired in the driver SAM however I went through all the SAM's but I could not find the pad sensors.

cetialpha5 01-11-2019 03:04 PM

You can also measure the rotors, sometimes they're thick enough. I got away with just slapping a set of pads on mine without doing the rotors.

gafitanu 01-11-2019 03:13 PM

I did that 4 years ago on the rear brakes. I am looking at some serious hammering/torching/WD40ing to remove the rear rotors, the problem is that the rear pads appear to be in order and the front pads are new..

cetialpha5 01-11-2019 03:17 PM

Well if the fronts are new, then it's probably the rears. On my rears, the most worn pad was the one with the sensor on it. The outside pad look like it was only half gone, the inside less than 1/4.

Maroc_Specops 01-12-2019 09:55 AM

Usually people only change the front pads. U should definitley change the rear

chase60now 01-15-2024 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by gafitanu (Post 7650670)
Is there a way to find which brakes are throwing the "Brake Pad Wear" message with DAS?
I tried several ways yesterday but no success. Rear brakes last twice as long as the front ones but I would like to know for sure before I buy pads and rotors.

Not true...I have 2014 ML350 with AMG packaging (brakes are same as ML550) and at 70K miles, I have replaced rear rotor once and pads twice. Front ones still look like it has 30k mile life left on them. Front brakes are much beefier and don't wear out as much. I know my Hondas and Lexus have always had front ones go out first. Easiest way to check is to look at the pads through your wheel. Front ones are easy since you can turn the wheel out and see it from the side and clearly see the pads. Rear ones, you may have to take the wheel off to see. If it triggered the sensor, the pads have worn down to about 80-90%.

Plutoe 01-17-2024 08:54 AM

"Is there a way to find which brakes are throwing the "Brake Pad Wear" message with DAS?"
The front sensors report to the front SAM. The rear sensors report to the rear SAM
Therefore interrogate the SAM's for your answer---this assumes that you know how many sensors are on your front\rear and identifier of each sensor like S--\bla bla

gafitanu 01-17-2024 08:58 AM

Thank you, 2 in front, 1 on rear.