E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nano Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Nano Paint

I have to say I'm impressed with the Nano Paint. The car is almost 6 months old and I usually detailing every week, there is no swirl marks (although had huge rock chip on the highway ). After 6 months with the 02 S500, 01 E320 4Matic, and 98 C5, the swirlmarks were visible (always using microfiber mitt and towels). Kudos on the Nano Paint!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I must ask, what is nano paint?? I'm taking delivery of an E500 this week. Will my car have it?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:30 PM

'06 SL65
Originally posted by PUZZ1
I must ask, what is nano paint?? I'm taking delivery of an E500 this week. Will my car have it?
Your car will have Nano Paint.

Here is an article:

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 06-19-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Naturally on a silver car swirl marks are hard to see (thats one of the reasons I picked silver) so I can't really comment on the effect of the nano paint pertaining to them. I will however say I have numerous paint chips throughout the front end... Most of these are on the front bumper. I still say this nano paint does nothing for rocks and I'm not impressed if they do. I know this paint is also supossed to hold a shine during the life of the car a lot longer (40%?) than typical paints, so time will tell......

B.T.W... I'm glad to have the nano paint and I still say water-based paints suck
Old 06-19-2004, 11:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
What's very puzzling (and frustrating I might add) is my girlfriends 2002 Accord coupe has only one very small chip and she has put on many highway miles. My experience with my last 4MB's is just as you describe, lots of chips. Doesn't Honda use water based paint too or do they just do a better job of it.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by RJC
Doesn't Honda use water based paint too or do they just do a better job of it.
As far as I know most all automakers are using waterbased products...damned E.P.A.... They are even worse (greener) in europe... Guess they have been screwing up the enviornment a lot longer than us in the "states"...
Old 06-20-2004, 01:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 M3 ZCP, 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS, 2018 Tesla Model X, 2023 McLaren 720S Spider
Originally posted by RJC
What's very puzzling (and frustrating I might add) is my girlfriends 2002 Accord coupe has only one very small chip and she has put on many highway miles. My experience with my last 4MB's is just as you describe, lots of chips. Doesn't Honda use water based paint too or do they just do a better job of it.
I too have noticed that Hondas seem to have less paint chips than all of our MBs .

BTW, I was just wondering, if the car needs to be repainted (like bumper, hood, door, etc), where do we get the paint? Does the paint shop have nano paint? I know my dealer doesn't sell paint.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Nano clear can only be applied at the factory (at this point in time). The nano clear is baked on under 450 degree (F)+ lamps. There are conventional clear coats out that are compatible with the nano clear (PPG, etc). There is a TSB about this.

I have noticed a lot less rock chips on my 2003 with nano vs my 2001 without nano.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:22 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
As far as I know most all automakers are using waterbased products...damned E.P.A.... They are even worse (greener) in europe... Guess they have been screwing up the enviornment a lot longer than us in the "states"...
What a load of bull. I cannot believe you have made a statement like that.
Head for head the USA is one of the worst polluters in the world, i have heard quotes like - 25% of the worlds population and responsible for 40% of the worlds pollution.
The only reason you are not following everyone else is because Bush won't work with Europe because maybe he is afraid of losing the election if you have to pay a little more for cleaner fuel and emissions. Also is it not the oil companies that pay for his campaign. Or maybe it's the arrogance that is making it so difficult for Bush to work with Europe and most other countries in the world.

Don't get me wrong I really like USA but you are doing yourself no favours at the moment.

Last edited by Apollo; 06-20-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally posted by Apollo

Don't get me wrong I really like USA but you are doing yourself no favours at the moment.

Ouch !!!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No politics please? Mercedes already has enough!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:08 AM

What a load of bull. I cannot believe you have made a statement like that.
Head for head the USA is one of the worst polluters in the world, i have heard quotes like - 25% of the worlds population and responsible for 40% of the worlds pollution.
If you mean that the world consist of 25% Americans, you must use your calculator. According to your calculation, there should be 1,500,000,000 of them. The correct figure is 294.000.000.-. (Abt. 4%) They use 30% of the worlds natural resources..... And they are responisible for 25% of the worlds carbon dioxide emissions. Also 36% of the worlds' greenhouse emissions

Quote:

"The US contains 4% of the world's population but produces about 25% of all carbon dioxide emissions. By comparison, Britain emits 3% - about the same as India which has 15 times as many people "

Source BBC: The US and climate change

Last edited by Oslo; 06-20-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:27 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by Oslo
If you mean that the world consist of 25% Americans, you must use your calculator. According to your calculation, there should be 1,500,000,000 of them. The correct figure is 294.000.000.-. (Abt. 4%) They use 30% of the worlds natural resources..... And they are responisible for 25% of the worlds carbon dioxide emissions.

Quote:

"The US contains 4% of the world's population but produces about 25% of all carbon dioxide emissions. By comparison, Britain emits 3% - about the same as India which has 15 times as many people "

Source BBC: The US and climate change
Thanks Oslo, I stand corrected, I like to get my facts right. And Britain, at least we are trying to do something about it and accept that we are screwing up the environment. You forgot Norway, how are they doing vs India. But on your figures I rest my case.

Last edited by Apollo; 06-20-2004 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:05 AM

You forgot Norway, how are they doing vs India. But on your figures I rest my case.
According to EIA Official Energy Statistics from the U.S. Government:

Norway often has been touted as Europe's cleanest country in terms of energy use. Norway is the world's third largest oil exporter, behind Saudi Arabia and Russia, yet the country has no petroleum-fueled power plants. Hydropower from rain and melting snow in the mountains, along with electricity imports, provides the electricity needed in a country with a cold climate and a long, dark winter. Norway's relatively high energy use per unit of output results primarily from energy-intensive oil and gas extraction activities.

The Norwegian government has implemented policies to reduce the impact of road traffic on air pollution. The Ministry of Transport and Communications, for example, introduced a tax on car ownership. In addition, the government also periodically increases refund payments given for scrapped cars, in an attempt to remove older, less energy efficient cars from the streets. Oslo also has experimented with reducing speed limits during peak pollution hours, in an effort to cut the emission of particulate matter into the air. Finally, bus and rail transport are subsidized in order to make these forms of public transportation more attractive to consumers than individual car ownership.

Last edited by Oslo; 06-20-2004 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:10 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by Oslo
According to EIA Official Energy Statistics from the U.S. Government:

Norway often has been touted as Europe's cleanest country in terms of energy use. Norway is the world's third largest oil exporter, behind Saudi Arabia and Russia, yet the country has no petroleum-fueled power plants. Hydropower from rain and melting snow in the mountains, along with electricity imports, provides the electricity needed in a country with a cold climate and a long, dark winter. Norway's relatively high energy use per unit of output results primarily from energy-intensive oil and gas extraction activities.

The Norwegian government has implemented policies to reduce the impact of road traffic on air pollution. The Ministry of Transport and Communications, for example, introduced a tax on car ownership. In addition, the government also periodically increases refund payments given for scrapped cars, in an attempt to remove older, less energy efficient cars from the streets. Oslo also has experimented with reducing speed limits during peak pollution hours, in an effort to cut the emission of particulate matter into the air. Finally, bus and rail transport are subsidized in order to make these forms of public transportation more attractive to consumers than individual car ownership.
You learn something every day. I did not realise that of Norway.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
So, back on topic, if you need to repair a nano-paint car, thye nano-paint is lost?

So now after my wife finshes deer hunting, and we replace the hood, fenders and bumper, they will age differently than the rest of the car? The repainted front fender will show marks that the door won't?

If that is the case, it seems like some body has screwed up?

David
Old 06-20-2004, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by DavidNJ
So, back on topic, if you need to repair a nano-paint car, thye nano-paint is lost?

So now after my wife finshes deer hunting, and we replace the hood, fenders and bumper, they will age differently than the rest of the car? The repainted front fender will show marks that the door won't?

If that is the case, it seems like some body has screwed up?

David
NO!

Nano paint can be re-painted Nano is only the top coat
Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Angry Nano Paint

Thought this forum was about the W211. You guys inappropriately politicized the thread in your attacks on Hell on Harleys poorly researched and apparently off the cuff remark.

Back off! He, like most Americans , probably wish the statistics were not so damming against us Americans, but face it, he is just 1 person and is not either totally responsible for where we are in the US environmentally, nor is he personally responsible for the future of the whole damm country !

I guess I could go into how it is true we produce a sum total of 25-25% of all the pollution (depending on what statistics you use) and it is also true that MOST of that pollution sits in OUR National Parks, Our waterways, Our greenbelts and in the playgrounds of our children. And I guess I could go into how we have SIGNIFICANTLY turned a lot of the pollutant numbers around over the past 25 years. I guess I could also mention that a lot of the pollution comes from our military/industrial base economy that was the weight of the fight to end Communisim.

Believe me brothers, we have paid a price and are paying a price. Without the American economy which political system would prevail today? It wasn't free.

Let's keep the tone here positive and I extend that invititation to both sides of the pond. Harleys comment may have not been well researched, but a little more thought in the replies could be considered.

Just my .02.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

I apologise for the quite abrasive response to the original comment. But the original remark was just not called for and at the end of the day the facts speak for themselves.

I should have kept my personal views about Bush to myself. I just hate to see such a great nation like USA going down it's current path.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 AM

marksatex
You guys inappropriately politicized the thread in your attacks on Hell on Harleys poorly researched and apparently off the cuff remark.
If you mean that the world consist of 25% Americans, you must use your calculator. According to your calculation, there should be 1,500,000,000 of them. The correct figure is 294.000.000.-. (Abt. 4%) They use 30% of the worlds natural resources..... And they are responisible for 25% of the worlds carbon dioxide emissions. Also 36% of the worlds' greenhouse emissions
I only corrected and added some facts. That is not an attack, unless.....
Old 06-20-2004, 06:26 AM

I understand. Remember Bush was NOT elected by a majority. And it totally befuddles me why, we Texans did by and large vote for him as President, after the horrible job he did as Governor. We still have a mess due to him. Friendly guy- great politician- but all about personal vendettas and gettin even with folks.......

One theory why he carried Texas is that by voting for him for President, We were sure to get rid of him as Governor.....

Last edited by marksatex; 06-20-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by vraa
No politics please? Mercedes already has enough!
I agree

John Kyoto
Old 06-20-2004, 08:04 AM

Ok Ok The paint? Seems to not have swirls or chip But I am also more diligent not to follow truck closely, even if they are slow, and I am more careful when washing.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:34 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by glojo
I agree

John Kyoto
LOL, very good
Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
I had the same prob with chips on the bonnet with my C Class. I wonder if it is the low drag and design that encourages the chips from stones. I have had quite a few hit the windscreen as well and I try to keep my distance from cars in front.

I have just had my bonnet resprayed and the body shop said that they have used the new top coat as with the factory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nano Paint