MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Bluetec w211 a good purchase? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/734610-bluetec-w211-good-purchase.html)

Jasony 01-31-2019 07:20 PM

Bluetec w211 a good purchase?

hi, I’m looking for a new to me car, and I keep coming back to the w211 e class. I hear the horror stories, but I wanted to check here to see if they’re true.
I currently drive a Volkswagen Golf sportwagen with tdi engine. Another car that’s not exactly known for being super reliable. I’ve had it since new and I’ve got about 52k miles on it now, mostly trouble free. The Mercedes I’m looking at seem to hover around the 100-120k miles mark, because I don’t want to finance, and I want to keep the initial price low enough that I can take care of any deferred maintenance, rather than spending more on a lower mileage one and then struggling to maintain it. It makes sense in my head, and high mileage cars don’t scare me.
are there anythings I should look for with a bluetec, anything I should steer clear of, or are they overall a relatively decent ride? I will be using it as my daily, replacing the Volkswagen, and will be putting 30-40k per year on it.

kajtek1 02-01-2019 02:28 AM

Are you whinging about horrors stories made by people who never own a diesel?
Once you become diesel guy, you will never look back to owning gasoline car.
When diesels in USA don't have good mechanics, they are primarily choice in whole rest of the World,
In W211 the only diesel choice is OM648 or OM642
At this point with extended SBC warranty OM648 is probably the best value, but than at 12+ years of age it is outdated car.
OM642 needs more maintenance but great performer and lot more technology.
Read the experience in diesel section.

tjts1 02-01-2019 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jasony (Post 7669550)
hi, I’m looking for a new to me car, and I keep coming back to the w211 e class. I hear the horror stories, but I wanted to check here to see if they’re true.
I currently drive a Volkswagen Golf sportwagen with tdi engine. Another car that’s not exactly known for being super reliable. I’ve had it since new and I’ve got about 52k miles on it now, mostly trouble free. The Mercedes I’m looking at seem to hover around the 100-120k miles mark, because I don’t want to finance, and I want to keep the initial price low enough that I can take care of any deferred maintenance, rather than spending more on a lower mileage one and then struggling to maintain it. It makes sense in my head, and high mileage cars don’t scare me.
are there anythings I should look for with a bluetec, anything I should steer clear of, or are they overall a relatively decent ride? I will be using it as my daily, replacing the Volkswagen, and will be putting 30-40k per year on it.

Avoid the bluetec, get the earlier CDI if you must have a diesel.

lkchris 02-01-2019 10:06 AM

No, the V6 is great, but the sweet spot is 2007-8. After that, it’s SCR with diesel exhaust fluid, no spare tire, and run flat tires.

ps2cho 02-01-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 7669976)
No, the V6 is great, but the sweet spot is 2007-8. After that, it’s SCR with diesel exhaust fluid, no spare tire, and run flat tires.

“great” and a ton more blown engines than the CDI. You have DPF, urea injection problem and more. Not to mention if oil changes were done at factory intervals you’re asking for trouble. BT engines need much more frequent oil changes

tjts1 02-01-2019 03:31 PM

Call up your favorite MB indie mechanic and ask him for an estimate to replace the OM642 oil cooler, a common failure point on the bluetec.

Maroc_Specops 02-02-2019 12:31 AM

U should go for the r6 om648 inline 6.

the v6 is a failure in reliability and maintenance terms. Mercedes is currently back to the i6 design for valid reasons.

pre facelift with options is more luxurious then the facelift. Also in sports package it beats it externally in my opinion.