MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   my car trying to kill me, rear of car jumping around on pot holes, uneven payment (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/744428-my-car-trying-kill-me-rear-car-jumping-around-pot-holes-uneven-payment.html)

06cls55amg 05-12-2019 06:28 PM

my car trying to kill me, rear of car jumping around on pot holes, uneven payment

2006 cls 55 79k miles, just pulled car out of storage from winter a week ago. Anyways so been raining pretty good here in CT, took the benz out for mothers day( i never drive it in the rain unless get caught, this hydroplaning thing is new as of today.), and i feel like its hydroplaning for one, 2, ive been noticing this ever since i put these new tires on, almost any uneven pavement or pot holes the rear of the body feels like it sways side to side like a violant wiggle, ? scary as fack, car feels dangerous, something is definitely not right.
what ive done so far:

replaced rear air shocks
falkin azzenis?245 35 20s up front and 295 30 20s dunlop sport race mo in the rear, tires 90%
just had an alignment done on hunters machine,
Ive inspected the subframe bushings and used a pry bar, they have almost 80k miles but everything seems stiff, im not ruling them out but dont think this is the issue because there is no noise, no clunk, everything is quite..

Lastly my car is lowered on star, the rear sits lower than the front( .5" wheel gap rear, a little over inch up front, keep raising it , but after a few days its back at sitting lower.

Even after raising the car to have an inch of wheel gap, the car feels twitchy in the rear.

other than subframe bushing, what else could be causing the rear of the cars body to act like this.?

F1Fan 05-13-2019 01:02 AM

Rear knuckle bushing and worn out control arm bushings. I believe there are at least 4 control arm per rear wheel. Each of those arms have their own bushing. As those bushings wear out, your rear wheel starts moving around a lot more. Eventually it becomes a bit scary on the highway as the rear wheels start doing their own thing and now you are having to correct by steering constantly.

The knuckle bushing doesn't cost much, it just might be a little difficult to get out. Control arms, you either replace the actual control arm (expensive) or replace the bushing in the control (cheaper, but not sure if possible).

rodneypierce 05-13-2019 06:06 AM

Assuming the alignment was good. My w211 e550 4matic did this terribly until I found a decent shop to align the car. Once they aligned the rear correctly it no longer wanders at all.

If the alignment is good, F1Fan is likely correct with the bushings.

06cls55amg 05-13-2019 12:16 PM

gonna throw my stock rear wheels and tires on, and see if the issue persists with the rear. been doing some reading on these rear tires, and a lot of people say they ride like crap are very responsive to ****ty roads, think i might have gone with a to aggressive tire for these ****ty CT roads

When i had it on the lift last, there was no play up and down or left to right, and the alignment shop didnt mention anything a few weeks ago when they were aligning it on there hunters machine. Ive already replaced everything up front, rear is still original.

Like i said before, when i had my old tires on which i ran till they looked like slicks, i had 0 issues, everything was great. Got my new tires, a new alignment and the rear of the car literally wiggles/ sways on every pot hole or uneven piece of pavement, yesterday in the rain i was petrified to go above 65 mph.

ot1 05-13-2019 02:31 PM

Who did the alignment?
what Hunter machine?
Did you get a colored alignment printout? Rear tires may not be in align with fronts. So rear tires are not tracking properly
who mounted your tires?
What tires did you buy? Take your vehicle to discount tire and make sure the tires were put on correctly, tires have a direction of travel, possibly bad tires.

i have had very good alignments done at Farm and Fleet, they can do 4 wheel, but you need a tech that has MB experience to do rear.

06cls55amg 05-13-2019 03:27 PM

tires are on correctly, outside reads on the outside, tire specs are in original post , not sure what hunters alignment machine, All i know is that its a few years old, and they spent an arm and a leg on it. panels attach to wheels, lasers on the machine pick up specs?

yes print out had everything in green...., iirc, specs were spot on with MB specs, this is the 2nd shop i brought the car to in 6 in the 6 months ive had these tires. ive barely put 500 miles on the car as it sat over winter, thought this last alignment would do the trick. not the case.

They are a salvage vehicle repair shop, all there cars need to go through dmvs salvage inspections. tire specs are in original post.

The car drives perfect until you hit a pot hole, bump, or uneven pavement with the rear tire/tires. If i hit a pot hole with the right tire, then the right side of the cars body will do a quick twitch/wiggle with on that side. almost feels like loses traction and grabs. hard to explain, i bet if someone was driving behind me you could see the rear of the cars body sway side . at least thats how it feels from the drivers seat.

06cls55amg 05-13-2019 05:07 PM

Well figured out why i the car was trying to kill me in the rain

Dunlop Sport Maxx Race MO

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
  • MO Tire
  • Racing street legal tire
  • Summer weather traction
  • Enhanced handling
  • Improved cornering ability
OVERVIEW

The Dunlop Sport Maxx Race MO is a high performance summer weather racing tire manufactured for performance vehicles.

The tire is meant to be used for racing. While it is street legal, unfortunately, it is not recommended to be used in heavy rain. The tire is not capable of handling driving through deeper water and it will not resist hydroplaning. It is meant to be used in dry weather, while driving off the race track. On the track, the model provides excellent performing capability. Thanks to its internal structure, the Jointless Band Technology’s reinforcement, the tire does not deform under the driving pressure. As it maintains its optimal shape, it is able to perform its highest capability.

The model was made to be used on select sport package Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The tire has received the ‘MO’ rating for it being a Mercedes-Benz Original tire. It has passed rigorous performance tests to receive that marking. It provides excellent driving safety and great high speed performance to the vehicle’s it is mounted on, and it allows the vehicles to perform to their highest ability.

The tire has excellent summer weather traction. The motorsport-derived tire compound and the special asymmetric tread pattern work together to ensure exceptional dry and mild wet weather performance. The tire is not meant to be used in winter weather conditions, as the tire compound is not flexible enough to provide traction in colder temperatures. The model is also not recommended to be used in heavy rain, as in deep water it will not prevent hydroplaning.

The internal structure’s Hybrid Aramid overlay on top of the Jointless Band Technology’s spirally wrapped cord and the twin steel belts boosts the steering responsiveness and driving stability. This is made possible as the reinforced internal structure maintains the tire’s optimal shape and prevents deformation under the driving pressure. The asymmetric tread design also increases the steering responsiveness and driving stability by providing superb road feedback. As a result, the steering is quick and more precise in its response to the driver’s commands. The tire is also stabilized against the driving pressure affecting it, making the driving experience safer and more comfortable.

The Sport Maxx Race MO’s tread design features massive outer shoulder tread blocks and high-angle ribs. They provide additional biting edges to improve the cornering and maneuvering ability and power. The better cornering ability ensures a safer driving experience.

From tire rack lol
The Sport Maxx Race is Dunlop's Streetable Track & Competition tire developed for serious driving enthusiasts that want to drive their cars to and from racetracks to participate in track lapping days and High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) events.

Homologated as part of the Mercedes-Benz Original Equipment (O.E.) track package option on C63 AMG Coupe Black Series models, Sport Maxx Race tires meet all the requirements for road use. However, like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, they are not intended to be driven on extremely wet roads with standing water where there is the risk of hydroplaning, or in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. It's also essential these tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained above 32 degrees F.

Sport Maxx Race tires mold a motorsport derived tread compound into an asymmetric tread design featuring a massive outboard shoulder block and continuous center ribs that enhance steering response and cornering stability to help drivers keep their vehicles balanced when cornering in dry conditions. While high-angle outboard shoulder grooves, circumferential grooves and independent inboard tread blocks help preserve wet traction.

The tire's internal structure includes two full-width steel belts reinforced with Dunlop's JointLess Band (JLB) Technology to stiffen the tread area and help prevent contact area distortion during aggressive acceleration, cornering, braking and high-speed use.

Sport Maxx Race tires are molded with approximately 8/32" of tread depth in their grooves and are left unshaved for use on damp tracks. While the tires do not require shaving for dry track use, their durability and lap time performance will improve if shaved to approximately 4/32" deep tread to begin competitive road racing/track use in dry conditions, however this will sacrifice significant treadlife.

Warning: Sport Maxx Race radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. And like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near- or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

rodneypierce 05-14-2019 12:27 AM

dude...... *facepalm*

06cls55amg 05-14-2019 09:29 AM

listen when i bought them this info was not present, found them for a super cheap price, saw that they were mercedes original equipment tires had great rating so purchased them with out thinking.

Car has seen rain maybe a few dozen times since i bought the car 6 years ago, but in the summer when it rains it pours, and have been caught in the past.

any ways, ordered new all season tires. going to do another alignment as well. fingers crossed.

Hopefully this twitch in my cars rear goes away.

06cls55amg 05-22-2019 09:37 AM

so installed new rear sway bar links even though oems were in perfect working order, checked all bushings, changed the rear tires to all seasons.

Just leaving my driveway on the new tires i noticed that the rear of the car felt more relaxed, did a few pulls, hit all the potholes, and uneven pavement, car no longer is twitchy, and bump steering.

On the high way if i jerk the wheel left or right the rear doesnt feel like its wiggling/swaying any more, car actually drives 100% better, thank the lord.

maybe ill keep her one more year.

tjts1 05-22-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 06cls55amg (Post 7754561)
245 35 20s up front and 295 30 20

Ok so go back to a stock tire size .

06cls55amg 05-22-2019 01:37 PM

no, got rid of the 295 30 20s dunlop sport race mo which was a streetable track tire, went with some 295 30 20 all seasons.

tjts1 05-22-2019 01:39 PM

With that amount of tire stagger it'll understeer like a pig. The things people sacrifice for looks I'll never understand.