Comments on Upcoming CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by DWP
A car with four doors, a roof and a B-pillar ain't no "coupe" by any known definition of the word, regardless of the name M-B chooses to promote it by. It's a four-door sedan..
I'm sure most are full aware what constitutes a coupe and most will agree with your definition... I think most just can't figure out why they call it one...
Old 08-13-2004, 03:10 PM

2005 E320
Maybe they are making room for the CLS with the upcoming S.

http://carspyshots.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=spy&action=display&num=1087428297

… Spy Shot: Mercedes-Benz S-Class

The W221-Series is to make its official debut next year; with a longer wheelbase and wider doors, it will be roomier and easier to access than the already comfortable current-generation model.
Cabin quality and refinement will be enhanced to widen the gap between this car and the excellent E-Class, and ever-more sophisticated gadgets, telecommunications systems and driver aids will feature. These will include a sophisticated crash avoidance system incorporating the cruise control, sensors all round the car and the existing Pre-Safe set-up, which puts airbags on standby and activates the seatbelt pre-tensioners, up to sixteen airbags and even, insiders suggest, a pedestrian-protecting airbag which deploys from behind the front grille. All these items will be supported by a new 42-volt electrical architecture.

Externally, the S-Class will change little, with just minor tweaks to the headlights and door mirrors; options will include a full-length electro-chromatic sunroof and, inside, the massaging dynamic multi-contour seats. Engines will include V6 and V8 petrol units, an AMG-prepared 6.3-litre V8 giving an estimated 600bhp and the Maybach's 6.5 bi-turbo V12 (500bhp), plus 3.0 V6 and 4.0 V8 diesels. Although initially some of the non-AMG models will be supercharged, and badged Kompressor, ultimately supercharging will be replaced by turbocharging in engines across the range.
source: 4car…
Old 08-13-2004, 08:34 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Now things fit into place. When I picked my car up in April they were testing this on the E Class production line, I saw the body shell and they were also driving them around the site, although it was disguised. I assume it will be built on the same E class line at Stuttgart.

Last edited by Apollo; 08-14-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4

thats the best shot of the new s i've seen; I like
Old 08-14-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
I know this style is going to be controversial but I like it. Fresh design and has evolved so much from the previous generations. The rear deck lid is def going the route of the 745i however this seems to be more reserved. Anyone know if this official MB pics or a photshopchop?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:57 PM

2005 E320
I like it too. But still don't know if it's real.

but,

Is it 745-ish or is it Maybach-ish?
Attached Thumbnails Comments on Upcoming CLS-maybach.jpg  
Old 08-14-2004, 02:26 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
I personally think it fits right in between the e and the s class, but looks a lot better than both, inside and out.
No way it looks better than the E inside. The CLS interior is totally based on the E. So if anyhting it looks just as good.

I am a benz lover of course. Thats why I have a E500. I love all models except for the ML. Which I did love initially but I think the X5 is much better looking now.

The two best looking classes in my opinion is the E and the SL. Three models that will never be phased out are the S, SL and E. The E apart from missing pnuematic doors and a few minor things is the most technologically advanced benz in years. Notice that all other models are starting to incorporate features the E came out with.

With that said I do think they are trying to align the CLS between the E and the S and thats why they are removing minor features from the E like:
Solar Panel
Illuminated Entry under Sideview Mirrors

and not adding features like pneumatic doors as on the S. Keep in mind the SL doesnt have these features and its the top model roadster.

I think though that the CLS will grow on us, but I didnt fall in love with it at first sight as i did with every other benz model. In fact the only other models I didnt fall in love with at first site is the C Coupe, and the new CLK.

I would like to see them make a four seat hard top convertible. Thats would be off da chain fo sure.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by lyrixmajor
No way it looks better than the E inside. The CLS interior is totally based on the E. So if anyhting it looks just as good.
Although it is based on the W211 E-class interior, there are a number of trim differences which allow one to have an opinion of "better" or "worse". I am unsure where I sit on this.

All I know is in my E-class I want some of the "extended designo" stuff we don't get here in the US. The CLS might have some of that and then... I would be swayed.

I definitely like the outside better.

But a question... since there is a CLS forum here at mbworld... can't we discuss it in there?

-s-
Old 08-14-2004, 05:08 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by scorchie
But a question... since there is a CLS forum here at mbworld... can't we discuss it in there?

-s-
Probably many discussions going on over in that forum, but I was curious to get exclusive E-Owners opinions, as I have a few myself.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
I like. When my e320 lease is up it will surely be replaced by a CLS55 or S500
Old 08-14-2004, 11:27 PM

sl 500
out of shear ignorance.........where does the CL fit into the scheme of thing. Does it go like this

C, E, CLS, S, CL and then SL or

C, E, CLS, CL, S and then SL or

C,E, CLS, S, SL and then CL
Old 08-14-2004, 11:53 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by monty
out of shear ignorance.........where does the CL fit into the scheme of thing. Does it go like this

Old 08-15-2004, 12:17 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by monty

BTW: U mean CL or CLS?

anyway...

Lets work our cognitive muscles...

We can look at it conceptually as individual items with varying attributes:

- losely ordered... just the way they come out of my mind:

C(Sedan & Sport Coupe)
E(Sedan & wagon)
S(Sedan)

CLK (Coupe & Convertible)
SLK (Coupe)

CL (Luxury Sport Coupe)
CLS (Luxury Sport 4-door Coupe)
SL (Sport Coupe)
SLR(Ultra Sport Coupe)

M (SUV) (Dare I say) Minivan
G (SUV)(Truck - Maybe)

Or laid out on a graph using two attributes: (Price & Naming Convention)

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/selector/controller.jsp

Each vehicle contains a number of attributes that has them relating to each other in a number of ways. Price, Name, Framework, Time of Creation, etc …

Is the CLS related to the CL because of naming convention, is the CL related to the SL… or the CLK? …. Looks more about the size/cost of the S???

More likely than not a web of relational points exists between the models that is beyond the scope of this exercise and only really fully shown in the offices of Dialmer Chrysler and their competitors. We’d probably need a bit more insight into their thinking to determine these kinds of things concretely.

Also remember, Time is also an attribute. If MB was creating this lineup from scratch today, all at once, I’m sure the naming conventions would be better suited to helping us answer this question. But as with anything in life we are forced to deal with real-time, out of bubble situations that more often than not force us to react rather than act.

Point being, you can categorize related items in a whole bunch of ways as they all take part in a related network with multiple points of relation.

My guess would be that the better (but not only way) to determine position and placement of a vehicle is to think merely from a sales perspective. Take every possible demographic and ask them what car interest that demographic based on appearance, accessories, price, accessories, needs, age, sex, etc…, ignoring some of the other attributes like naming convention (that may or may not be arbitrary to varying degrees) and if you see a great deal of overlap then something doesn’t seem appropriate.

Either Market Conditions dictate that competition within your own product line is appropriate, or maybe something else is in the works that has not fully revealed itself, or they are making a mistake (not that they are), … or something else entirely.

Or maybe I’m just bored waiting for this stupid Hurricane/Tropical Storm Charly to come up the east coast and drop 3+ inches of rain on my doorstep.

Old 08-15-2004, 03:46 AM

E500
Hi,

I just recently have the chance to sit in the CLS. The look is smaller than what I expected base on photo, but the car does look sharp. The length of car is longer than W211 by 8 inches.... but the interior is small than W211. The trunk is deeper but not as wide as W211. Maybe the car is pre-production, the material look not too solid. The seat is nicer than W211, it uses the same soft leather as S-Class (S500). It uses CLK's sterring wheel and the center dash is almost the same as W211 (parts sharing).

If you are Ca resident, the MB have the SLK test drive at Hollywood Park this weekend. You can also receive a $1500 coupon toward next purchase of MB. The coupon is good for almost every model besides AMG's.

The SLK is fun!!! It comes with entire new MB tune sound. It is different as BMW or Porshe. It is a sounds of MB. The new SLK is faster than old. The new engine is really good.

The only downside I found with new SLK: The steering wheel needs BOTH hands in fast corner. The SL, I can easy make fast turn with ESP on. THe SLK is another challenge. Maybe due to its light weight, It is coside a harder control cars compare with other series of MB, but beside those, it is a great design car. I bet the sales of SLK will be another success.

For those who car looking for new SLK, the SLK will be short of supply in 2004, the MB USA did not request enough car for US market. So act fast. We are taking deposite on SLK at MRSP price.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 PM

2005 E320
MBSPY has some good coverage on the vehiclehttp://www.mbspy.com/cls55amg.htm