E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Car (still keeping the w211 for now)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow New Car (still keeping the w211 for now)

Wasn't planned at all, but ended up picking up a RCF last week. I've been talking about wanting a new car for several years now. I think my wife was the driving force, probably because she was tired of hearing me keep talking about a new car. I REALLY wanted an e63s, Part of me still does. The downside to that is having never owned an AMG and or used to the maintenance, I feel like I would have been sticker shocked on repair or maintenance bills.. ( I get it, ya gotta pay to play).

Went to the Lexus dealer, and test drove a 19' RCF that was black with red interior. Wasn't a huge fan of the red but the ride quality was nice and it was quick. Saleman took me in the back and had a 2020 white RCF. The car was the color I wanted, had every option I wanted when building it online and even the nice interior I wanted. I guess it was meant to be? This is my first N/A 8 cylinder. I can only imagine now what a bi-turbo AMG would be like. But I'm quite happy as it sits. The interior is super nice. Nicer than anything I've ever owned in a vehicle before.

Getting the RCF, I figured I would sell my STi and the W211... I can't bring myself to sell either yet, plus winter is coming so it would be pointless to try and sell them. Being 11 years old I still love how it looks, makes me smile every time I look at it. It's what a proper Mercedes looks like to me. I know the tech is old and other things but it's just a classic look. My wife is like, it looks old, get rid of it..lol. I would miss it also because of the retro's I did. Power trunk, bi-xenons, back up camera, VIM, ambient lighting...etc. It's a fun car to be able to add those items. You can't really do that anymore.

Still here though, maybe just not as much ;-p

-Nigel
The following 3 users liked this post by NewShockerGuy:
a100steaksauce (11-28-2020), Benz MW (11-24-2020), mildenbenz (11-28-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
You went JAPANESE?????
Old 11-23-2020, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 248 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Wasn't planned at all, but ended up picking up a RCF last week. I've been talking about wanting a new car for several years now. I think my wife was the driving force, probably because she was tired of hearing me keep talking about a new car. I REALLY wanted an e63s, Part of me still does. The downside to that is having never owned an AMG and or used to the maintenance, I feel like I would have been sticker shocked on repair or maintenance bills.. ( I get it, ya gotta pay to play).

Went to the Lexus dealer, and test drove a 19' RCF that was black with red interior. Wasn't a huge fan of the red but the ride quality was nice and it was quick. Saleman took me in the back and had a 2020 white RCF. The car was the color I wanted, had every option I wanted when building it online and even the nice interior I wanted. I guess it was meant to be? This is my first N/A 8 cylinder. I can only imagine now what a bi-turbo AMG would be like. But I'm quite happy as it sits. The interior is super nice. Nicer than anything I've ever owned in a vehicle before.

Getting the RCF, I figured I would sell my STi and the W211... I can't bring myself to sell either yet, plus winter is coming so it would be pointless to try and sell them. Being 11 years old I still love how it looks, makes me smile every time I look at it. It's what a proper Mercedes looks like to me. I know the tech is old and other things but it's just a classic look. My wife is like, it looks old, get rid of it..lol. I would miss it also because of the retro's I did. Power trunk, bi-xenons, back up camera, VIM, ambient lighting...etc. It's a fun car to be able to add those items. You can't really do that anymore.

Still here though, maybe just not as much ;-p

-Nigel
"My wife is like, it looks old, get rid of it".

Too funny. I kinda agree from the point of looking at the w211, and smiling. Something about white rides seem to be my new fave now.
I would say you made an excellent addition to your car stables. CONGRATS
2MERKS
Old 11-23-2020, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,150 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Congratulations! Enjoy. Especially enjoy the reliability.
The following users liked this post:
Benz MW (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:37 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by S70Houston
You went JAPANESE?????
ROFL! We've actually had/have more Japanese vehicles than anything else. My STi, my wife's used to be Solara (which is now my daily), her NX, and now this. It's really hard to beat Japanese reliability honestly. Knock on wood no issues with the MB, but the Solara has around 240k miles on it and just keeps going. And it's so comfortable to ride in..lol. I think out of all the vehicles that's still one of my favorites to be in because I never get tired or sore.

Some pics of the rest of the rides.

2MERKS:
The w211 has a special look, it's nice. I guess most people just don't see it. When I was younger I always loved how E classes looked. Totally agree on white. I've loved white my entire life. I have three white vehicles now..lol.

chassis:
That was a serious consideration honestly. I keep cars long. My STi is from 05', truck is from 01', Solara is 07', and the w211 is from 09'. My wife goes through cars way quicker than I do. I tend to hold onto them and drive them much longer. I can't see just buying new cars every couple years. Seems like a gigantic waste of money that could be better put towards another house or traveling...etc. Appreciate it!

-Nigel
The following 3 users liked this post by NewShockerGuy:
2MERKS (11-24-2020), chassis (11-25-2020), mildenbenz (11-28-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:55 AM

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan, 2005 E500 4matic Wagon
I love my 500 wagon and I don't see getting rid of it any time soon. The 13' 550 is nice, but the estate feels like it handles better oddly enough and still has plenty of go go. It's my restoration project. I've been through too much with her.

Nice addition to the stable. Though you likely have tons of warranty left, lexus repair bills are nothing to scoff at either. Enjoy it, stay safe.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wife's used to be Solara (which is now my daily). The Solara has around 240k miles on it and just keeps going. And it's so comfortable to ride in..lol. I think out of all the vehicles that's still one of my favorites to be in because I never get tired or sore.
WELL Nigel, as they say, to each their own. My turn to ROFL.

I am sure when you look at your Solara, it brings rather tears to your eyes than a smile on your face, as it is next to a Prius by far one of the ugliest things out there and does not even come close to a comparison in looks to your W211.

Enjoy your new (and old) rides, all the best.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
chassis:
That was a serious consideration honestly. I keep cars long. My STi is from 05', truck is from 01', Solara is 07', and the w211 is from 09'. My wife goes through cars way quicker than I do. I tend to hold onto them and drive them much longer. I can't see just buying new cars every couple years. Seems like a gigantic waste of money that could be better put towards another house or traveling...etc. Appreciate it!

-Nigel
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep my 2008. I figured I'd keep it about another 3 years when the fuel tank warranty runs out. But I guess we'll see what happens after that. It's starting to get some rust on it and somewhat seriously. A few parts already rusted out, there's a piece that connects to the mufflers and you can't get a replacement piece unless you buy the whole assembly. All the clips that the lower engine body panel screws into were rusted out, replaced all of them. But I just put new upstream O2 sensors in and did a few other things so I feel it could go for a lot longer.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-25-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep my 2008. I figured I'd keep it about another 3 years when the fuel tank warranty runs out. But I guess we'll see what happens after that. It's starting to get some rust on it and somewhat seriously. A few parts already rusted out, there's a piece that connects to the mufflers and you can't get a replacement piece unless you buy the whole assembly. All the clips that the lower engine body panel screws into were rusted out, replaced all of them. But I just put new upstream O2 sensors in and did a few other things so I feel it could go for a lot longer.
That's the beauty of living in Northern CA.

No rust on a car whatsoever, and with proper maintenance a car should last forever.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,150 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
ROFL! We've actually had/have more Japanese vehicles than anything else. My STi, my wife's used to be Solara (which is now my daily), her NX, and now this. It's really hard to beat Japanese reliability honestly. Knock on wood no issues with the MB, but the Solara has around 240k miles on it and just keeps going. And it's so comfortable to ride in..lol. I think out of all the vehicles that's still one of my favorites to be in because I never get tired or sore.

Some pics of the rest of the rides.

2MERKS:
The w211 has a special look, it's nice. I guess most people just don't see it. When I was younger I always loved how E classes looked. Totally agree on white. I've loved white my entire life. I have three white vehicles now..lol.

chassis:

-Nigel
Nice looking Ranger. How do you like the two post lift? What is the max weight rating?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
W212 E400
Hey Nigel, I recognize that RCF from the Facebook groups 😁

​​​​​​So, we both have an F car and a W211 😂.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by S70Houston
WELL Nigel, as they say, to each their own. My turn to ROFL.

I am sure when you look at your Solara, it brings rather tears to your eyes than a smile on your face, as it is next to a Prius by far one of the ugliest things out there and does not even come close to a comparison in looks to your W211.

Enjoy your new (and old) rides, all the best.
Oh totally agree with you! The solara is not a good looking car at all. My wife joked and said one day you should just get a prius because of the gas mileage. I told her, I'd rather ride a bicycle. Something about a prius just screams "I don't care about vehicles at all", they are just so plain looking. The solara is like the trusty workhorse in the stable. With the top down it's almost like a truck.. I can't tell you how many things we've moved because of it. But very few cars to me look as nice as the w211. Even NEW MB don't look as nice. They all have that same open mouth fish look and the back is just blobby. I love S class and E class of this era. They have a look that just says "move, I'm coming through", but does so in a nice gracefully polite way.

Originally Posted by chassis
Nice looking Ranger. How do you like the two post lift? What is the max weight rating?
Thank you, Ranger is almost 20 years old. Used to be my daily but now is reserved for truck duty work like Lowes and HD, and going to the gym and back...lol. I've had the MaxJax now probably for 8+ years. I love it. At the time when I got it from a forum member via a garage site, I had normal garage doors and tracks (standard 8' off the ground". This was ideal. Had I known I was going to convert my garage doors to high track system and get them just inches from the ceiling I would have bought a different lift that is taller. This lifts the car 4' off the ground which is more than enough honestly for what I do. It's paid for itself at least 10x over with all the stuff I do on our vehicles. Max lifting weight is 6,000lbs. Another great feature is that I can remove the posts as you can see in one of the pictures so I don't "lose" any garage space by having a full time full size lift. If we had bigger garages here it would be nice but this is a good happy medium of being able to work on stuff but still use your garage to store cars.

Originally Posted by YasS
Hey Nigel, I recognize that RCF from the Facebook groups 😁

​​​​​​So, we both have an F car and a W211 😂.
hahah! That's awesome! They are really nice cars! Completely different but they are very enjoyable! I love it when you see familiar faces on the different groups and have similar tastes (good tastes!)

-Nigel