MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Lost key in house fire. How to hotwire so I can get to benz dealer? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/800948-lost-key-house-fire-how-hotwire-so-i-can-get-benz-dealer.html)

azer carrot 12-02-2020 06:16 PM

Lost key in house fire. How to hotwire so I can get to benz dealer?

So my key fob got lost In a house fire. Foud the valet key but that's not going to be doing me any good. My closest benz dealer is 2 hours away, and supposedly that's the only way I can get one
that would be an extremely expensive tow. Anyone got any ideas? Was thinking it may be possible to hotwire so I can drive there? I seen a youtube video of someone hot wiring a w212 but wondering if it would be the same on my 2003 e320 w212? Any help would be very appreciated.

superswiss 12-02-2020 06:52 PM

Sorry about the house fire. Hotwiring cars with electronic ignitions is not really possible anymore. Not sure what you saw on YouTube, but the car won't start unless it reads a valid code from a paired key. The key has a chip inside it and it is matched to your car's VIN. There are ways to hack it via ODB2, essentially you have to trick it into pairing a new key with which you can start the car. I've seen devices being used connected to ODB2 and fake a paired key or even pair a blank key fob. You have to have a blank, though, because once a key has been paired with a vehicle, it can't be paired with another. It's a one time process.

E55Greasemonkey 12-02-2020 07:08 PM

The dealer doesn't need your 211 there for a new key. But they need you to be there with a valid picture I.D. and proof of ownership such as the title or registration. The key then has to be ordered which will take a couple days. Maybe they will be nice and mail it to you after you provide the proper documentation in person. Maybe they can order it over the phone prepaid and then release it to you in person with the documentation when it arrives. It does not need to be programmed after they receive it from MBUSA, it will start the car and unlock it right away.

azer carrot 12-02-2020 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 8215932)
Sorry about the house fire. Hotwiring cars with electronic ignitions is not really possible anymore. Not sure what you saw on YouTube, but the car won't start unless it reads a valid code from a paired key. The key has a chip inside it and it is matched to your car's VIN. There are ways to hack it via ODB2, essentially you have to trick it into pairing a new key with which you can start the car. I've seen devices being used connected to ODB2 and fake a paired key or even pair a blank key fob. You have to have a blank, though, because once a key has been paired with a vehicle, it can't be paired with another. It's a one time process.

Thanks for youre reply, and i heard that its is possible via odb2 but i beleive its pretty expensive equipment? correct me if im wrong because id love to know how. I contacted a few locksmiths that specializes in key fobs and most said they didnt have the equipment/benz dosent release the codes so they cant do it. also, heres the video i was referring to. he jumps it with some copper wire.-

azer carrot 12-02-2020 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey (Post 8215937)
The dealer doesn't need your 211 there for a new key. But they need you to be there with a valid picture I.D. and proof of ownership such as the title or registration. The key then has to be ordered which will take a couple days. Maybe they will be nice and mail it to you after you provide the proper documentation in person. Maybe they can order it over the phone prepaid and then release it to you in person with the documentation when it arrives. It does not need to be programmed after they receive it from MBUSA, it will start the car and unlock it right away.

Thats awesome, are you 100% sure they dont need my car? everywhere i looked online said they did, which is the whole issue because it would be a $600 tow there. Im only 17 and i dont have an id and its only in my name on the title and bill of sale so id have to figure that part out. so essentially they order a key with my vin from my car and it works when it arrives? I wonder if i could fax everything to them instead of having to go all the way there? thanks for the reply btw!

MBENZTECH 12-02-2020 09:57 PM

They don't need the car present to get a key but....... It's policy to have the car present when they hand over the keys to you. You will need a title or official registration under your name to order a key. The key comes pre-programmed from the PDC. Another option is to remove your ignition switch and send it out. Where are you located??? I have all the equipment to program keys for Mercedes up to 2014. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Andre91 12-02-2020 11:47 PM

Also check with the insurance company covering the property, the cost of the replacement key should be covered (and maybe the cost of the tow since it's required to obtain the key?). Keys that are simply lost usually aren't covered, but keys lost in a fire/flood/theft would just be another piece of personal property associated with that covered loss. Depends on the insurance policy though.

rapidoxidation 12-03-2020 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by azer carrot (Post 8215991)
Thats awesome, are you 100% sure they dont need my car? everywhere i looked online said they did, which is the whole issue because it would be a $600 tow there. Im only 17 and i dont have an id and its only in my name on the title and bill of sale so id have to figure that part out. so essentially they order a key with my vin from my car and it works when it arrives? I wonder if i could fax everything to them instead of having to go all the way there? thanks for the reply btw!

Don't have an ID? How about driver's license? If you don't have that, why bother with a car?

Has anyone mentioned that a new key will set you back about $500?

marcd7tx 12-03-2020 09:41 AM

That also looks like the interior of a 70's or 80's MB which only had metal keys back then. Reminds me of my Dad's old 500SEL.

Referring to the interior of the car in the video posted...

places 12-03-2020 09:44 AM

Something seems amiss here...

Maxmcl92 04-30-2024 07:08 PM

Key

Originally Posted by MBENZTECH (Post 8216055)
They don't need the car present to get a key but....... It's policy to have the car present when they hand over the keys to you. You will need a title or official registration under your name to order a key. The key comes pre-programmed from the PDC. Another option is to remove your ignition switch and send it out. Where are you located??? I have all the equipment to program keys for Mercedes up to 2014. Send me a PM if you need more info.

​​​​​​
hey I lost my keys. Where you located? I own a 1997 Mercedes c280 flip out key like the slk

MB2timer 04-30-2024 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by places (Post 8216263)
Something seems amiss here...

I think rapidoxidation nailed it. How do you have car keys to a car(ostensibly to drive) and not have a driver’s license?
I admire trusting people, but my nature is to be skeptical, cynical, critical.
But I am working on it.

cetialpha5 05-03-2024 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by MB2timer (Post 8963890)
I think rapidoxidation nailed it. How do you have car keys to a car(ostensibly to drive) and not have a driver’s license?
I admire trusting people, but my nature is to be skeptical, cynical, critical.
But I am working on it.

You don't need a license to buy a car. You just need a license to drive a car. You could have a learner's permit. Anyway if you read his other threads, looks like it was legit after all and he had other problems with the car that needed to be fixed.

On older cars, there are key programmers that locksmiths have that can program new keys for a Mercedes but some of the newer models use a different system so the key programmers don't work on the newer stuff. Locksmith might be cheaper than the dealer. Need to call around, some locksmiths charge more than the dealer.

But just remember, no matter how cynical you get, you just can't keep up!