MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Sirius Sat Radio (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/80558-sirius-sat-radio.html)

alum 08-29-2004 03:13 PM

Sirius Sat Radio

I've got an '04 e320 and want to get Sirius installed - the dealer wants $700. I figured since the car is pre-wired it shouldn't cost me so much. Anyone have any suggestions on what route to take to get it installed for less?

Barry45RPM 08-29-2004 08:09 PM

DO IT AT THE DEALER ONLY. There are a million ways to screw this car's electronic systems up. Including, but not limited to breaking a piece of fiber optic cable. I paid $1180 including 14 months of service at the dealer here on Long Island.

kort677 08-30-2004 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by alum
I've got an '04 e320 and want to get Sirius installed - the dealer wants $700. I figured since the car is pre-wired it shouldn't cost me so much. Anyone have any suggestions on what route to take to get it installed for less?

they've got you by the short hairs, you need to just pay the price!

BigSis 08-30-2004 10:41 AM

Try Scorchie! He knows his way around SAT radio. You can email him at scorchie@mbenznl.com...

Greetingz,

BigSis

Barry45RPM 08-30-2004 05:17 PM

MbenzNL & Scorchie are as good or better than the dealer. They know all about the cars.

HotWheels500 08-30-2004 08:15 PM

$700 Is The Lowest Dealer Price I've Heard. I Paid $800. I'd Grab It Provided You Get The 14 Months Of Service Thrown In.

MBenzNL 08-30-2004 09:16 PM

700 dollars is a good price for an installed sat radio unit...still too much for the ugly antenna apearance though...

greetingz,

ToyCollector 09-03-2004 04:35 PM

Just picked up my '05 CDI with SIRIUS installed. Did the under the parcel shelf antenna install and it works great, even in tree covered Atlanta. Price your dealer is quoting you is high. Mine only wanted $300 on top of the $995 I think it was for the SIRIUS option.

TPAbnz 09-03-2004 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ToyCollector
Just picked up my '05 CDI with SIRIUS installed.

Dealer install? What warranty?

ToyCollector 09-06-2004 05:32 PM

It was a dealer install. They have a technician who has now done several with this antenna mounting. Not sure about your warranty question.

TestnDoc 09-06-2004 08:32 PM

Toy,

What is the parcel shelf??

TIA!

ToyCollector 09-06-2004 10:51 PM

The shelf that is under the rear window that abuts the top of the rear seat cushions.

NickIndy 09-13-2004 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ToyCollector
Just picked up my '05 CDI with SIRIUS installed. Did the under the parcel shelf antenna install and it works great, even in tree covered Atlanta. Price your dealer is quoting you is high. Mine only wanted $300 on top of the $995 I think it was for the SIRIUS option.

What dealer in Atlanta? The one here in Indy insists that the only way to install the antenna is by drilling a hole in the trunk which I REFUSE to let happen. But I would prefer to have it done at the dealer if possible. Maybe they need to use a lifeline and phone a friend down south.

ToyCollector 09-13-2004 11:29 AM

Atlanta Classic Cars in Atlanta has done several by now this way and there is one tech there who is the "expert". They have provided me the best dealership experience I have had in at least 5 years.

paulhu 09-13-2004 03:26 PM

This guy named Jim Laplant does a lot of electronic upgrade for all local MB dealers and customers. He will do my navigation w/DVD this week, and he will also install SAT radio. He said that he usually puts the SAT antenna underneath the front hood of the car near the open grill close to the windshield.

Baby Jocko 09-13-2004 03:56 PM

Does Jim LaPlant work independently or would I have to take my car to RBM, which I refuse to do. If so, what is the contact info for Jim LaPlant? What did he charge you for Sat Radio install?

ToyCollector 09-13-2004 05:36 PM

Jim Leplant is VERY well known around Atlanta. I had him do some work on one of my other cars. Straight up guy as well. He is independent, does get tons of referrals and work from the big dealers and non-franchise stores that cater to Porsche, BMW, MB crowd. He came to my house to do what he did on one of my cars. Jocko, I will look for his phone number, I believe I have it downstairs. Standby. Here it is 4-277-9383, that was his mobile about 2 years, but I doubt he would change his number. THE GUY IS REAL GOOD!

TPAbnz 09-16-2004 04:57 PM

Mount on Top of Package Shelf?

Perhaps MbenzNL or Scorchie can help me out here.

Is there any reason that the antenna couldn't be mounted on top of the package tray and sprayed the interior color? It seems like an unobtrusive location too.

Would reception be improved?

Thanks for the expert input.

paulhu 09-16-2004 10:16 PM

Jim Laplant installed a V60 phone system and VCS module about two weeks ago in my 2004 E500. Today he came to my house to install DVD navigation system, Sirius satellite radio. The antenna he uses is the TERK XMicro, very low profile, and about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square. He mounted the antenna on the roof by the rear windshield in front of the existing MB antenna. He then route the antenna cable around the windshield moulding into the trunk. He did an excellent job. His next project for me is the illuminated door sills. By the way, all MB owners get 12 month FREE subscription of Sirius service. Make sure that you tell the customer service that your are a MB owner w/new satellite radio installed.

ToyCollector 09-16-2004 11:42 PM

Paul, not to get it too off topic, what do you mean by the phone install? We need even a mini ATL meeting sometime with you and Jocko.

paulhu 09-17-2004 12:34 AM

ToyCollector, someone sold me a Mercedes Benz V60c cell phone a while back, and I activated it under Verizon service. Then when I purchased my new E500, I contacted Jim Laplant to install the complete hands-free communication system (phone module, cradle, and VCS) in my car. This phone system installed can only work with Mercedes Benz Motorola V60 phones, not generic V60 phone. By the way, I live in Alpharetta also, near Jocko, I guess.

jester2ll2 09-17-2004 09:30 PM

I'm about to get Sirius installed, but I don't like the idea of the exterior mounting either.

How does the under the hood mounting work? Is a trunk install possible or is that what "under the parcel shelf" was referring too?

jmartinacevedo 09-18-2004 05:57 PM

For Pauhu

Paul, I tried to email you. Do you know if your installer used an adapter for the xmicro antenna to go into the sirius box? (I hear you may need a "Y" adapter as the Mercedes Sirius module has two connectors for the antenna and the xm antenna only has one terminal.

Can you help?
Thanks.
Martin-

aries palmiotto 09-18-2004 08:32 PM

I am an installer so allow me to give my 2 cents...

The MB sirius radio uses separate antennas for the terrestrial and satellite signals. You will need a "signal combiner" (reverse Y adapter, Terk SIR-SIP adapter) so the sirius box can receive the two signals if using a single aftermarket antenna.

The satellite antenna plug (white) is the same from the splitter to the sirius box. However, the terrestrial antenna plug is different on the MB sirius box. You will need to swap the terrestrial antenna (mustard connector) off the SIR-SIP adapter, with the one off the vehicles terrestrial antenna (blue connector) pre-wire.

https://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pr...09SiRSP-f.jpeg

Barry45RPM 09-18-2004 10:07 PM

Knowing this, wouldn't it be sweet if Terk made a complete adapter for the car?