Easy Exit Seat Logic '04 E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Easy Exit Seat Logic '04 E

Is it possible that the MB engineers' programming code for the EZ exit feature was written to work like this?

When you re enter the car, if the seat has been moved back to allow you to exit, the seats will move forward untill they come to your pre-programmed driving position. Since you will allways move the seat backwards to exit, it is logical to assume that all drivers would be moving the seat forward to their normal driving position upon re entry.

I ask this because whenever (if) I move the seat back to exit, upon my return the seat moves forward to my driving position... However, If my wife last drove the car, and left the seat in her very forward, close to the wheel normal driving position, when I unlock, enter, sit in the seat's current left-over position & start the car, the seat moves FORWARD crushing me, as if it expects MY driving position to be forward of where the seat was left at exit rather than moving backward & down to MY memorized driving position.

Just a guess, but it happens every time, so my guess its programming based on crazy logic.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-12-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
poor guy. ditto here.

the program tries to move to the last person position (smart or no brain ? this is a program BUG) before it reads the current driver information from key. I decide to live with this stupid bug because I can dump my car but I can't dump my wife. (is this a mb feature for the penalty of having a tiny wife?)

do you still expect this can be fixed by mb programmers? (I think this is difficult for mb programmers. I suggest mb outsources to offshore, e.g. India, for saving more money and getting a better quality codes.)

the solution should be

when you disarm your car, it should adjust to the correct seat position depending upon the key right away. this way we can save time waiting seat adjustment and avoid squeezing.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The problem with your solution (which seems logical, until you see it in use), is that when you unlock the car, you DON"T want the seat to move to the drive position untill you are in the seat. Remember, you moved it back to make it EASY to get in and out of. If it moved back as soon as you hit unlock, the seat would be up close & the wheel would drop, making it harder to get into.

I know this as a fact because on my previous cars, an 2000 base Caddy Deville & a 2002 Caddy DHS, the dash cluster programming option for this feature was: 1. move seats at remote unlock, or 2. Move seats at key in ignition. (Or with keyless go at start). That is the real solution.

So do you know for a fact that MB knows this is a programming bug? Does my reasoning of why the seats work like they do make sense?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:54 PM

2003 E-500
In the 2003 models you could set your seats to be key dependent and they would adjust to what each person wants for their key. (Seats, mirrors and wheel). Imagine that is also in the 2004's. Both of us drive with the seat pretty far back so not sure if we would have your problem upon entry but do know the mirrors, wheel and seats all move to my postition when I use my key and to hers if I use hers (which occurs once in a while). Recommend you also set the seat memory buttons to each of your personal preferences for each key to allow you to use the buttons to quickly get your individual preferences if you should be using the other driver's key.

We both really like this feature but it took me a while to get it set up correctly. Use the owner's manual as a guide on doing this. The back up position for the right side rear view mirror should also be set to be key dependent.

Good luck on getting the seat you want whenever you want and hope you don't continue to be crushed on entry!!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
As suggested, you may need to reprogram at the instrument cluster to set adjustments for each key... I happy to report I have or never had such problems described. I do know that the seat will not go back for easy entry unless the door was locked. It seems that the seat doesn't go back as far for my wife's exit as it does for mine as I clearly see it go back for my entry when I unlock the door. As far as getting "crushed", this has never been a problem. My seat never moves forward unless the key is inserted into the ignition...
Old 10-12-2004, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Here's a test. Tomorrow before you get out of the car, move the seat more forward than your normal driving position, then shut the car off exit & lock it up. When you return later, unlock & get in without moving the seat, then start up, did the seat move rearward to your normal drive position, or did it move forward looking for your "drive" position?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Done.....

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Here's a test. Tomorrow before you get out of the car, move the seat more forward than your normal driving position, then shut the car off exit & lock it up. When you return later, unlock & get in without moving the seat, then start up, did the seat move rearward to your normal drive position, or did it move forward looking for your "drive" position?

O.K....Moved the seat as foward as possible, turned off the car and locked it.... I then unlocked it and the seat moved back for easy entry as soon as the door is opened........You see, I can't get in and sit in the seat before the seat moves back.. The seat doesn't move forward in no way untill the key is inserted in the ignition....I also confirmed the same senerio with my ol'ladys key as well....And as stated earlier her seat settings do not allow the seat to go back as far for easy exit as my setting....The system is working as designed (for me).... perhaps there is an issue with your car and it's keyless go feature....As memory serves me, you have it don't you????
Old 10-13-2004, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Is it possible that the MB engineers' programming code for the EZ exit feature was written to work like this?
Hi Barry,
Is there a 'major' difference in height between yourself and your partner? I ask this because of problems experienced with our Easy Exit function.

Regards,
John

A mild autumn morning in Torquay
Old 10-13-2004, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Yup, I'm a foot (head) taller than her... but she drives close to the wheel & tipped forward, & I drive back, with arms extended.

There has got to be an issue with this system because of the number of posts on the subject. The manual doesnt say much on the subject other than how it should work. I am very familiar with the "set-up" and "key dependent on off" aspects of the system which are turned on, because if I drive the car having started it last time with keyless go, it assumes THAT seat position for me, and if I go back to the key to drive it assimes a different seat position for me. My question is, if another driver uses the car who drives MORE FORWARD than I do, (not all the way forward) why when I return to drive the car does the seat move forward looking for MY driving position rather than backward to look for my driving position? It knows where I drive & will go there as long as the seat was left in a MORE REARWARD position than my driving position when the car was shut down. If my wife last drove the car & shut it down with the seat more forward than my driving position, It searches for my driving position in a forward direction, (and stops at full forward) not realizing that the seat is ALREADY forward of my driving position, instead of simply moving in the shortest direction it must go to get to my memorized driving position, be it forward OR backward from where it was left when it was shut down.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM

W211 & Q7
this problem only exists for the owners have huge body size differences, you cannot understand this problem if you and your partner are about the same sizes. (of course, you can set up one of your key to remember a tiny size seat positon for realizing this problem.)

because this is a bug, don't use it for Barry and Otto and .... (disable this key independent feature) and use the one from the door panel. (there are 3 memory settings, one for you and one for your tiny parner and one for setting up to the maximum postion for easy in and out.)

The problem with your solution (which seems logical, until you see it in use), is that when you unlock the car, you DON"T want the seat to move to the drive position until you are in the seat. Remember, you moved it back to make it EASY to get in and out of. If it moved back as soon as you hit unlock, the seat would be up close & the wheel would drop, making it harder to get into.
this should not be a problem because without easy exit in or out, driver should still get into the car in his/her own seat position easily -- no reason that we need more space than we claimed.

mb easy exit is a feature for

1. wasting your time
2. wasting the power of your car
3. discriminating sizes of two different key owners
(based on the 3rd reason, you can sue mb for discrimination of body sizes and I believe mb has to fix this problem right away. mb should fire unqualified programmers who did not do their jobs for a long time -- spending years and still cannot figure out the preset radio problem from steering wheel.)

Last edited by Otto; 10-13-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Otto

mb easy exit is a feature for

1. wasting your time
2. wasting the power of your car
3. discriminating sizes of two different key owners
(based on the 3rd reason, you can sue mb for discrimination of body sizes and I believe mb has to fix this problem right away. mb should fire unqualified programmers who did not do their jobs for a long time -- spending years and still cannot figure out the preset radio problem from steering wheel.)
Totally disagree.... I find the feature quite usefull as without the seat moving back when exiting my feet tend to kick and scuff up the door panel and speaker cover if not especially carefull when exiting.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Barry,
Is there a 'major' difference in height between yourself and your partner? I ask this because of problems experienced with our Easy Exit function.

Regards,
John

A mild autumn morning in Torquay
Its funny how the world is a little more friendly to us "normal" sized humans... :p :p :p
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Its funny how the world is a little more friendly to us "normal" sized humans... :p :p :p
Ouch!!!! You poisoned little dwarf

If you were five foot taller I'd punch you on the nose

An Admiral once said to me,
"My word, I have to look up to you!"
All his hanger on minions then started to laugh. Yet when I replied,
"Yes sir, but I look DOWN to you!"
They all stopped. Can't understand why?

It is unfortunate that those of us who are well endowed in the vertical department are so discriminated against.

I thought I was going to agree with Otto, but sadly that is not the case. How can the easy exit function be a 'waste of power'. Yet pressing the memory button to get the seat to move to exactly the same position is not?? It is an excellent option that has just not been properly researched.

He may well be correct though when he states the programmers should be shot (obviously an American thing) This is a programming fault and I have yet to hear of anyone who has successfully completely overcome the problem.

I sometimes like to 'play' with all the electronic gizzmo's in our car, so the seat has to be as far back as possible, and then reclined. This is how we have programmed 'my' key. The key has been correctly programmed yet if the 'boss' has been driving the car and I insert my key the seat will sometimes move forward???

This issue only arises when I go to sit\lay in our car, the Easy Entrance\Exit feature works perfectly for my 'vertically' challenged spouse. (luckily she isn't nearby). The seat moves back to let her out, then when she gets in, moves forward to her correct driving position. Is this the car demonstrating a clear case of sexual discrimination, or perhaps discrimination against us tall, dark haired, good looking, masculine, virile male species???

Regards,
John
From a sunny with passing clouds afternoon in Torquay