E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MP3 Folder limitation in W211 (54 reg)

Old 11-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 Folder limitation in W211 (54 reg)

guys,

i have attempted to search the forum to see if this question has been asked, but i cannot see any info, apologies if it is answered elsewhere

its pretty simple, i have burnt a couple DVD's with MP3 tracks, the structure is exactly as you would expect, album title as the folder name, and then tracks within that

as per the instruction book, i cannot get the COMAND unit to display all of the folders, i estimate it displays 40 or so, but thats it???

can anyone tell me if anyone has acheived this, i have rang MB and they are worse than useless!

looking forward to commentary on this

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
You must treat every album as a folder.

Do NOT place folders within folders or you will searching forever.

Seperate all albums as folders and songs as files.

Do NOT leave any song (file) outside a folder because it will take too much space and show up as a folder. Example, you have extra songs from an artist or group, then create a folder and call it "Odds and Ends" or "Blues-Various" or whatever. As long as you can tell what is inside the folder.

It will display 255 files.

When you can record thousands of songs (files), you need to pay attention as to how you organize things.

Last edited by Spartan; 11-07-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for that but..........

thats exactly what i did,

i have a total of 140 folders, each containing a series of MP3 tracks, as you suggest, it is all in folders to prevent exactly the problem you outline.

thanks for replying Spartan, is there anything else you can suggest, its a bit of pain to say the least!

looking forward to your comments

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Almost a Member!

i was thinking.....

Spartan,

could it be anything to do with the format of burning, i am using Nero 6 and at the moment it is set to: -

- ISO 9660 + Joliet
-ISO 9660

could it be the UDF format, i will try now.

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by kerryburn
Spartan,

could it be anything to do with the format of burning, i am using Nero 6 and at the moment it is set to: -

- ISO 9660 + Joliet
-ISO 9660

could it be the UDF format, i will try now.

Kerry
UDF wont even be recognized by the player. At least that has been my experience.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Almost a Member!

hi

thanks for that, it does say in the manual that ISO is for CD and UDF for DVD!!!!

painful this is (you would think MB would sort this out!)

burning one as we speak, i will see what happens (have you been able to see all of your folders etc)

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Almost a Member!

it looks like

you were right!

i get DVD error!

Spartan,

when you read this, can you tell me EXACTLY what format you are using to burn CD and DVD MP3 compilations, it may be that you have the answer without having to spend hours checking out the options!!!

thanks in advance

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 11:38 AM

I burn everything as data. "Folders" and "files". Never had a problem. As far as I know, when the COMAND reads the files, it recognizes the file as mp3 and plays it.

Do not overcompress the file because COMAND will hang up trying to read them. Just because your computer can read 15:1 compression ratios does not mean the COMAND can do it. I use a 7:1 variable rate. My normal files sizes are 6,000 kb to 12,000 kb. That's hardly a limitation in a DVD-audio.

If it displays the song and you hear a ticking instead of music, you are over-compressing. That is my experience.

Here is a useful link.

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm
Old 11-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for that but..........

can you tell me what software you use to burn spartan?

sorry to be a pain, other than that, everything you have said is the same for me, i compress to 256k which creates file sizes approx the same as yours

are you burning a UDF disk format?

i am on IM at kerry.burn@btinternet.com, that would quicker if it is not too much of an imposition!

Kerry
Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 PM

One of the members in this forum, Apollo, had the same problem, I think. His car was produced between February and May 2004. He needed a software update to solve this problem. When was your car produced?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Almost a Member!

hi Oslo

thanks for the information, i will track him down, to be honest i am waiting for my car to arrive but MB have lent me one ( i have a Euro 4 320CDi on order) but this car has don 1500 miles so i assume it is pretty new, however, a software upgrade does sound logical.

thanks again

Kerry
Old 11-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Its no good!!!!

i have now tried many different formats and i cannot make the car see all of the folders on my burnt DVDs i have created around 125 folders, with files in each, and it is only seeing the first 40-60 folders (approx)

PLEASE HELP!

I have attempted a multitude of different formats, UDF versions etc, DOES ANYONE have evidence of displaying all available folders on the DVD in the car

Kerry
Old 11-08-2004, 10:23 AM

i have now tried many different formats and i cannot make the car see all of the folders on my burnt DVDs i have created around 125 folders, with files in each, and it is only seeing the first 40-60 folders (approx)

PLEASE HELP!

I have attempted a multitude of different formats, UDF versions etc, DOES ANYONE have evidence of displaying all available folders on the DVD in the car

Kerry
Didn't I say you need a software update. I did the search job for you. You can read about it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/68460-mp3-problems.html

And the solution is to update the software with this CD tool (part # W 211 589 06 22 00. ) Must be ordered from your workshop.

Last edited by Oslo; 11-08-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Almost a Member!

hi

could be!!!

how do i find out what software version i have at the moment?

thanks Oslo for bearing with me, i am assuming that i have the latest updategiven that teh car is so new

Kerry
Old 11-08-2004, 10:37 AM

could be!!!

how do i find out what software version i have at the moment?

thanks Oslo for bearing with me, i am assuming that i have the latest updategiven that teh car is so new

Kerry
Sorry to say, but as far as I know, there is no way to check the software. But the problems that Apollo had, was solved with the above mentioned update. Even if the car has few miles on it, it could have been produced months ago.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

hi

Hi there

ok i have rang the local dealer! he is checking if there is a disk at the dealer, i have also messaged apollo, out of interest can you see it in your car?

i will feel a lot better when someone actually confirms they can see it!!

thanks again

Kerry
Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Question

Do you need the Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system to play the Mp3 CDs?
I have a base E500, and do not have a MP3-CD soft key on my command audio menu.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Do you need the Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system to play the Mp3 CDs?
I have a base E500, and do not have a MP3-CD soft key on my command audio menu.
The MP3 soft key will be displayed only after you insert a MP3 disc.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Almost a Member!

And so it goes

Guys,

i have now had the car comand upgraded and to no avail, to be fair one of the DVD's does seem to work but the file naming is useless (it uses the _ everywhere something on the ISO naming setting i guess) on the others, burnt using ISO there is still folders missing

now this has to be something i am doing with NERO 6 and the settings i am using but i cannot seem to find a combination that works, that said i am in communications with Apollo and he seems to have a solution so i await his comments.

in the meantime, if there is ANYONE at all who is using Nero6 and is able to display more than 60 or so folders please please let me know your settings so that i can emulate them here!

to set things in context, i am trying to burn a 4.7gb DVD R+ with 141 folders, and something like 1000 tracks, in other words, well within the limits set in the MB manual!

i hope you can help!

Kerry
Old 11-09-2004, 09:44 AM

I burn with Nero and do not have any problems.

Right now, on top of the burner window I see: ISO1_DVD

I take all the songs (files) and albums (folders) from the File Browser (far right) and drop them in the ISO1_DVD (far left) and then press burn.

That's it.

I don't understand why you have so much problems. What month was your car build?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Almost a Member!

hi there

nor do i spartan its beyond a bloody joke!

i dont know what month the car was built, i too use Nero in EXACTLY the same fashion as you including the ISO1_DVD description

i am trying different formats, but can you confirm that you can see all of your folders and that the folders exceed 100???

i am attempting to burn 141 folders and around 1000 files in the car it sees approx half of that....

very very frustrated by this

Kerry
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Good News, Bad News

Morning everyone,
I love these good news, bad news type questions. What do you want first, the good news, or the bad news??

Okay,
The Good news is that Nero 6 will burn multiple folders (I just wrote 156 folders each containing seven music files).

Obviously I have not played every file yet, but my COMAND scans through EVERY folder and has just played the last file on the last folder!!!!

The bad news is the problem is at your end. I have Nero 6 and a very limited knowledge of the technical 'innards'

I never touched ANY alteration of the default settings and simply went into Nero Express and chose Music, then Music Disc.

As easy as that. Total space taken for this experiment was 3.4Gb.

I hope this is of use,

Bye for now,
John

A cloudy cool morning in Torquay
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM

Dammit Scottie....we neeeeed more info!

We have to find a way to centralize all the info so newbies can get all the help they need.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM

2013 E350
I would love to be able to play MP3s in my 2003 E320. I contacted my dealer with the part number (W 211 589 06 22 00) and was told that this part is not available yet in the US.

A couple of questions.

I have the Audio 50 with the CD changer. My car was built around January 2003 and delivered in late February. Will this update allow me to play MP3s considenering I have a CD drive and not a DVD drive as CD drive 0?

Is this update available in the US? How can I get a copy?

Thanks for your help.

JK
Old 11-17-2004, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
More good news, bad news.

Just for a change I will go for the bad news.

When I stated that all the folders were displayed it was said with the best of intentions... BUT 'The Boss' got confused with the way I had labelled the folders.

Kerry has since discovered that all the folders were not actually displayed.

I then made another DVD with 131 folders each containing 7 files. Folders 1 - 31 inclusive were displayed and then folders 100 - 131 inclusive were displayed. The missing folders were quite simply missing..... No trace of them on the COMAND at all.

I examined the DVD on the computer and the folders were all accounted for. In total I believe there was 4.1Gb of information.

Now the good news.
Today I wrote another DVD, this time only containing five folders

Folder 01 194 songs
Folder 02 241
Folder 03 241
Folder 04 241
Folder 05 191

Each folder displays correctly in the COMAND and it displays the correct number of tracks. Total used was 3.9Gb

I have played the last song in each folder and they played with no problem. I have not worked out how long it would take to listen to all the tracks (some are 11 mb) but I think it would 'take a while'

I carried out this experiment using Nero Express version 6 and in my opinion using this software it is not possible to reproduce the claim made by Mercedes-Benz in relation to the 255 folders.

I cannot envisage a situation where I would want 255 folders as they would only contain a very limited number of files.

I suppose my next task is to check the actual maximum number of folders that the COMAND will display using Nero Express.

Regards,
John

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MP3 Folder limitation in W211 (54 reg)