E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Black colors for Benzes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black colors for Benzes

Okay, Im really having some difficulty choosing a color for my new E500. There seems to be 4 different shades of BLACK~!! In the Brochure I cant tell the difference really. I decided to choose between Obsidian Black and Opal Black. Does anyone have any pics of these colors or at least descriptions for me. The color I want is a dull black color with shades of dark gray in it and it looks kind of like the Opal Black but I am not sure.

ANy help will be greatly appreciated. I have already ordered my car with pewter and I only have a short period of time to change my mind on the color.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:15 PM
jhh
Almost a Member!

2005 E500
I faced the same dilema. The *only* way to see the diferences between these colors is to see them on real cars in natural outdoor light (preferably sunlight). Some of them aren't really very black. FWIW, in my experience there's no way to tell the difference from just pictures of the cars (in any case, certainly not digital pictures sent over the internet).
Old 11-12-2004, 03:26 PM

2004 E500 AMG Sport and 2020 GLC300
Black Opal is not a black at all. It is a dark metallic blue, which under certain conditions appears to be purple because of red particles in the paint.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:29 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The "just plain Black" color is non-metallic paint; the other three "Blacks" are all metallic paint. But you probably already noticed that.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Obsidian Black is the most preferred "black". It is a true metalic black. My first E-500 was Obsidian and my current E500 is Tectite Grey.
The black is an outstanding color but a real problem to keep looking good. I changed to Tectite and it looks pretty good...just not as good as the Obsidian. The Tectite is much easier to keep looking good.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:13 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
I have my obvoius preferance- Obsidian Black, but agree with ETENN about the effort to keep it clean. And it's not as simple as frequent washes, one must take care not to get swirl marks or the black looks crappy anyway.

Check out the deatail forum- I use the aino Products and my car looks greta after 1 yr. Even the dealer comments on it.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
As the others have stated, black is beautiful but a pain in the *** to keep clean (at least to my standards as I'm suffering from O.C.D) ... I think with the "nano" clearcoat now being sprayed on these cars swirl marks are pretty much a thing of the past so no worries there but the road dust, hell the dust from being parked in your garage is going to drive you nuts
I personaly would never own a black car... period. If you go with black you better buy yourself a good quality feather duster to keep that thang looking good.... Yea, some blacks are easier than others to keep clean, but every other color is even easier and does not show door dings nearly as bad...
Goodluck with your decision.

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 11-13-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
On the other hand-a clean black is the best looking IMHO.

Actually I use Zaino and While I have been spared swirl marks- be it the nano paint or my microfibre towels- The car looks awesome almost all the time.

My wife refers to it as the black mirror.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok, no offense to my fellow "black" lovers... I too wrestled long and hard with what black to choose and ended up with "pure" black... I felt (here comes trouble) that obsidian still looked "dirty" from a distance but it was only because of the metallic in the paint... On the other hand, my sister has the S in obsidian and she said she would never buy another color... Good luck on your decision... I love my black and it always looks fantastic (make sure you get Zanio)...
Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
When I was buying my car.. I was deciding between Obsidian Black and regular Black... I though Obsidian Black wasn't dark enough from some angles... and went with just black.. but I think both are beautiful colors... if you can keep them clean that is.. I guess best thing to do is... go to a dealer and have them park the obsidian black and regular black right next to each other and decide for yourself =)
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Almost a Member!

My cars on its way and i order the E in a black called Manalite its black,blue and green metalic combined together. Looks really cool... should check it out. good luck with the decision.