E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MBUSA non-approved tires

Old 12-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
MBUSA non-approved tires

Curious, does anyone know what exactly is lost from MBUSA & dealership if you replace the original MB approved tires with better rated tires that are not MBUSA approved?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Curious, does anyone know what exactly is lost from MBUSA & dealership if you replace the original MB approved tires with better rated tires that are not MBUSA approved?
I don't get your question? What loss are you talking about, warranty?

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 02:53 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I didn't know that M-B approved particular tires - does that imply that they disapprove tires they don't approve? How does M-B express their approval? it can't just be by their choice of OEM tires. My car has Conti tires on it because, I presume, M-B got a good price on them (it can't be the ride or road noise qualities, which are both deficient) but I wouldn't take M-B's decision to install Contis as disapproval of Michelin, Pirelli or Goodyear (etc.) alternatives.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by DWP
I didn't know that M-B approved particular tires - does that imply that they disapprove tires they don't approve? How does M-B express their approval? it can't just be by their choice of OEM tires. My car has Conti tires on it because, I presume, M-B got a good price on them (it can't be the ride or road noise qualities, which are both deficient) but I wouldn't take M-B's decision to install Contis as disapproval of Michelin, Pirelli or Goodyear (etc.) alternatives.
I think konigstiger is talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S that was non-approved by MB? I would doubt anything would happen if using a "non-approved" tire. Hell, my dealer had an E500 in the showroom with Brabus body kit and the Pilot Sport A/S. I mentioned the memo to the head of accessories and aftermarket for the dealer and he had no idea what I was talking about. The E55 does call for "extra load" tires, but again, I'm not really sure what could happen by not using that tire. Espceially if replaced with a comparable High perf. tire.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I don't get your question? What loss are you talking about, warranty? Steve
The tires that originally came with your ride are approved in that they were tested by MBUSA for best performance as compared to your particular vehicle‘s needs. At least this is what I’m told. Apparently there are approved tires because there is TSB P-40_10-43 JAN04 Tires – Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are not approved.

What exactly is, or can be, forfeited by mounting non approved tires?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500 Sport, Pewter/Charcoal
The tires that originally came with your ride are approved in that they were tested by MBUSA for best performance as compared to your particular vehicle‘s needs. At least this is what I’m told. Apparently there are approved tires because there is TSB P-40_10-43 JAN04 Tires – Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are not approved.

Are you considering going with the same size tire/wheel or are you going to a larger size? If you stick with the same size, I don't think there will be any adverse dealership/warranty effects of the tire change so long as you don't go to Pilot Sport A/S's. With those tires, Mercedes said they would not do alignments under warranty for things like pulling to the right. Unless Mercedes specifically disapproves a tire, going to a different brand and upgraded speed rating shouldn't make a difference. At least I hope so, since I went from H rated Contis to W rated Kumho's on my car.

I'm not sure what would happen if you go to a larger wheel/tire size. Doing so could theoretically cause some dealership/warranty problems. Since a number of people here have gone to larger wheels, perhaps they could report on any problems they may have encountered after the change.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DaveFr
Are you considering going with the same size tire/wheel or are you going to a larger size?
I’m thinking of going from the original Michelin MXV4 Plus 225/55HR16 (all season MBUSA approved) to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/55YR16 (max performance summer not MBUSA approved).
Old 12-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Official anaswer: Warranty will pay for 1 balance and 1 alignment in the 1st 12 months or 12K miles on the original tires/wheels other than that nothing else is forfeited.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
MB picks tires on cost first, performance second. Ok, maybe equally.

The Goodyear is comparable to what the car would have in Europe. In Europe I've seen a lot of new E-classes with Michelin Primacy's and Conti Sport Contact 2s in the 225/55-16 size.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
The Conties that came with my MB in 2004 are the exact tire that I had on my 1988 190E 2.3-16 in Germany in 1998. Back then, the Conti's were rated to be the best by the German version of the AAA (the ADAC). I took this rating with a huge grain of salt since the ADAC rated the tires as best on one page and then had an add for Continental tires on the next page.

But anyway, as far as tires were 6 years ago, they were great! But a lot has changed in the last 6 years! These stock OEM Contis have not. So I would find it hard to believe that Michelin tires on a MB would cause a problem. I personally think that they are much better tires than the Conties (I don't think anyone will argue this).

This is when having a good relationship with your service writer and mechanic is great. They can overlook a bunch of little things like this if it was necessary. I just went to the dealer today and I left a few gift certificates for dinner for my service writer and the two mechanics who work on my car (yes, only two mechanics are allowed to touch my car). It was only $40.00 for each, but is goes a long way as a gesture.

You know what I am saying?

Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SAguirre
This is when having a good relationship with your service writer and mechanic is great. They can overlook a bunch of little things like this if it was necessary. I just went to the dealer today and I left a few gift certificates for dinner for my service writer and the two mechanics who work on my car (yes, only two mechanics are allowed to touch my car). It was only $40.00 for each, but is goes a long way as a gesture. You know what I am saying? Steve
Totally agree! One hand washes the other and both hands wash the face.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:39 PM

many
load rating is very important since it is your safety.
If car came with XL tires then the same should be used.
I know that there are a lot of better tires than OEM ones but many don't have correct load rating.

BTW Daimler Chrysler AG approves tires.
MBUSa is just marketing company.

Last edited by a2gtinut; 12-21-2004 at 05:41 PM.