E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI Fuel Economy - Should I be Doing Better?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
CDI Fuel Economy - Should I be Doing Better?

My first full tank was courtesy of MB since the car was picked up at the factory. After a full week of Autobahn speeds, up/down mountains, etc. (no A/C), the car turned in 34.1 mpg. The car was then shipped to the US.

The next tank reflected 10% interstate, the rest to/from the office (about 2 mi. each way), A/C on: 22.5 mpg.

The last tank was all highway, cruise set at 75 mph, A/C on: 29.9 mpg.

The above were measured tankfulls rather than relying on the computer (which was very close to the acual figures) and I used the "Comfort" transmission setting.

Since the car has fewer than 2,000 miles it's probably too early to judge. But I am left wondering why the European mileage was so much better. Does the A/C make that much of a difference? Does the very cold winter European air condense more and provide bettter combustion than warm Florida temperatures?

How have you other CDI owners been doing?
Old 02-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E320 CDI, 03 C240, 1970 Mustang fastback, 04 Harley Ultra
Cdi

I average about 30 but the fuel here in St Louis is winter blend diesel #1 and #2 mixed which results in lower horsepower for the motor which also results in lower fuel economy. The problem us CDI owners will have in the US is the quality of the fuel till 06, which would be the fuel you got in europe. So I would suggest you shop around for fuel being that your in florida I doubt you have the winter blend problem but who knows.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
16-19 pure city; 21-24 mixed; 31 pure highway

From trip computer, actual probably lower.

I know this seems poor, but I have a very heavy right foot.

I do notice quite a bit of visible smoke at startup for about 20 secs - 30 secs at startup, esp cold mornings. Wondering if I have trouble, will check mileage again on upcoming road trip.

Anybody else see visible smoke at cold start?

Ken
Old 02-02-2005, 01:15 PM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
My E320cdi is currently returning 34.1mpg over the last 1,500 miles at an average speed of 44mph according to trip computer A&B roads 40% motorway 60%; everything is on climate control etc the vehicle has now covered in excess of 50,000 miles.
In the smoking department not noticeable at start up only under acceleration after prolonged period in slow traffic a bit of a cloud.

I am not a slow driver and do use the all the available power especially accelerating / overtaking.

Another thought occurs to me, a US gallon is smaller than UK gallon, US gallon equals 3.785 ltrs a UK gallon equals 4.546ltrs, taking TPABENZ figure of 29.1/3.785 gives 7.69 miles per litre, take my 34.1/4.546 gives 7.50 miles per litre very close figures?

Liftman

Last edited by liftman; 02-02-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 PM

'05 E320 CDI, ‘10 E63, ‘13 SL63, Sprinter 170
I live in what the government defines as a city. 90,000 documented people. don't ask about the undocumented. I am now getting 24-28mpg city. I have seen 37 mpg avg on a 200 mile highway cruise at 70-90 mph. Surprisingly to me having owned some diesels, idle time in these at lights does make the mileage go down more than expected.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Use a "cetane booster" fuel additive. (like octane boost for a gasser)
double doose on each tank you put in, it will make a world of difference.
Reduces somke (cdis dont smoke much at all, even on cold starts) and makes the engine quieter then it is. I use Amsoil's cetane booster, just becareful the bottles do leak if not kept upright.

you will always lose some power/economy with winterized diesel fuel, thats normal. Also use a high quality synth 5w40 oil in your car for better fuel economy. And watch your rim/wheel size.

automatic diesels take a huge hit from bigger wheels/rims.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Messerchmidt
Use a "cetane booster" fuel additive. (like octane boost for a gasser)
double doose on each tank you put in, it will make a world of difference.
Reduces somke (cdis dont smoke much at all, even on cold starts) and makes the engine quieter then it is. I use Amsoil's cetane booster, just becareful the bottles do leak if not kept upright..
What do US manuals state about adding ANY fuel additives. Over here it is a big no, no.

In colder climates the glow plugs will remain in operation for anything up to ten minutes. The glow plug warning light will usually go out within 10 -15 seconds and much quicker in warmer climates, so there should not be a problem with a 'cold' engine.

The only time you should see any smoke is when the engine has not been 'working' for a considerable period and then you floor the throttle. Very similar in fact to a petrol engine, but the smoke will probably be slightly more dense.

As a general rule CDI engines should NOT emit smoke. If it is then there is a problem and you should go straight to your local dealer.

We are talking about a 3.2ltr diesel engine so economy should be good, but obviously not brilliant. Rather than look at figures, I tend to compare with other vehicles. It should knock the spots off the 3.2ltr petrol and be comparable to a 1.6 to 2ltr petrol car. I am more than pleased with its econmy especially when comparing it to other similar sized diesel powered vehicles.

Regards,
JohnA cool misty morning in Torquay