E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

airmatic..is it me?...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
Question airmatic..is it me?...

ok 3 months behind the wheel and over 6k on the clock...i cant help but notice how awkward the airmatic can feels under certain condidtions.
as a comparison to my prior w210 e430 4matic, this car can corner at speed much better, and is generally quieter on all settings. however often at lower speeds, when hitting any type of obstacle, the car rocks left to right significantly. there is an artifical feel to it, as compared to the old model's steel springs. is this the obvious price to pay for the new air system?
anybody have similar experiences?
j.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E-500
I haven't noticed this with either of my E-500's. The first was noticably stiifffer in the firm mode (two lights on) but they reprogrammed the later models to where you don't feel the road bumps as much under normal driving. However, neither seemed to rock back and forth when I hit obstacles such as speed bumps or pot holes at lower speeds. I now leave my ride setting in the mid position (one light on) all the time. Not sure if the settings are same in the '05's as in my '03's. Both ride and handle MUCH better at all speeds than my previous '97 W210 E-320. I selected the E-500 over the E-320 because of the better handling as well as the increased perfomance.

I'd suggest you drive another E-500 at your dealer and see if it handles the same as yours. If it's better, have them look at yours. Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
Originally Posted by jago1244
ok 3 months behind the wheel and over 6k on the clock...i cant help but notice how awkward the airmatic can feels under certain condidtions.
as a comparison to my prior w210 e430 4matic, this car can corner at speed much better, and is generally quieter on all settings. however often at lower speeds, when hitting any type of obstacle, the car rocks left to right significantly. there is an artifical feel to it, as compared to the old model's steel springs. is this the obvious price to pay for the new air system?
j.
The new W211 with Airmatic definetly has less dampening control than the W210. You really notice it going hard in to a sweepper when there are some bumps in the road surface. There is way less oscillation on the spring/strut combo than than the airmatic.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by jago1244
j.
I've had three 210s (97,99,01) and none of them handled as well as my 211 E500. I'd have it checked out at the dealer. These things are sweet in corners at any speed!