MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2010 e class: a closer look (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/295151-2010-e-class-closer-look.html)

martz 04-29-2009 11:24 AM

2010 e class: a closer look

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/20...nz-E-Class.htm

jago1244 05-01-2009 12:39 PM

gosh on closer look theres so many things i dont like about it...
the more i see it the more i might grab a late w211 in the next year or so..
copying bmw on the column mounted shifter
the end of the oval lights, which had become an MBZ icon
copying audi on the annoying LED strip foglights
the acura like chevron patterns that are repeated all over the place
mbz seems to have lost its own form follows function style.

LaicepsYdobon 05-01-2009 09:43 PM

I'm with Jago on this one. The more I see it the less I like it. What's up with that interior ? My W211 is so nice on the inside. The W212 is just a sea of plastic. Nothing seems to flow together, at least in my eyes. And why put the temp. controls all the way at the bottom ? I like to fiddle around with it but now I have to take my eye of the road when I adjust the temperature or when I turn the AC on ? I don' think there was a lot of thought put into this. I wish designer who designed the W211 didn't retire yet. Chris Bangle messed up the current generation of BMWs. I think the new designer for MB will mess up the current generation of Benzs... :X

K-A 05-01-2009 10:02 PM

Agreed ^^

I think Wagoner (sp?) is the new Chief Designer now, and I credit him to being the one screwing up the traditional formula for M-B. If you read or watch any of his interviews on the subject, he seems to be a Bangle wannabee in how he wants to direct the design for the future of the company.

Too bad because just as M-B is getting all gimmicky and desperate with keeping in design trends, BMW goes back to a clean and curvaceous new theme, as showed by the 7-Series.

DerekACS 05-02-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 3500477)
I'm with Jago on this one. The more I see it the less I like it. What's up with that interior ? My W211 is so nice on the inside. The W212 is just a sea of plastic. Nothing seems to flow together, at least in my eyes. And why put the temp. controls all the way at the bottom ? I like to fiddle around with it but now I have to take my eye of the road when I adjust the temperature or when I turn the AC on ? I don' think there was a lot of thought put into this. I wish designer who designed the W211 didn't retire yet. Chris Bangle messed up the current generation of BMWs. I think the new designer for MB will mess up the current generation of Benzs... :X

I agree with everything you have written ! :y

It's a real shame that the W212 seems to have missed the mark in so many ways. After looking at numerous photos of the W212, I can't find any compelling reasons to trade my W211 for a W212. This new sedan just doesn't convey any emotional qualities at all; it seems so generic and non-MB like. Imagine this car without its MB grill and logo on the rear; how many folks would guess that it is a MB E Class ??? I suspect that many might mistake the front for a Lexus and the rear for a Hyundai. And what about those swellings over rear fenders ????? :nix:

As for the interior, it looks very blah and uninspiring, somewhat similar to the angular treatment found in the GLK. My W211's interior looks positively stunning in comparison. :)

rieger 05-04-2009 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by DerekACS (Post 3501585)

It's a real shame that the W212 seems to have missed the mark in so many ways. After looking at numerous photos of the W212, I can't find any compelling reasons to trade my W211 for a W212. This new sedan just doesn't convey any emotional qualities at all; it seems so generic and non-MB like. Imagine this car without its MB grill and logo on the rear; how many folks would guess that it is a MB E Class ??? I suspect that many might mistake the front for a Lexus and the rear for a Hyundai. And what about those swellings over rear fenders ????? :nix:

As for the interior, it looks very blah and uninspiring, somewhat similar to the angular treatment found in the GLK. My W211's interior looks positively stunning in comparison. :)

What bangle mangled the bmw rear and now Mercedes is doing the same with the hood line. That hood line on the side of the car makes it look like the clam trunk by bangle in the front.
Mercedes get rid of the clam hood look! It looks ugly.
Mercedes shouldn't be following BMW design they should be following Audi design. Audi sales are way up because they are designing elegantly sporty looking automobiles. Audi's problem currently is that their engines are not up to par in hp or torque.

LAZARU5 05-04-2009 03:39 PM

W212 was at StarTECH 2009 in Indianapolis

I had a chance to see the W212 in person at StarTECH this past weekend. I would trade my W211 for the W212 in a heartbeat. Once you guys see the car up close I think you will change your minds. We were wowed by a presentation of the W212 features delivered by MBUSA reps.

K-A 05-05-2009 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by rieger (Post 3503265)
What bangle mangled the bmw rear and now Mercedes is doing the same with the hood line. That hood line on the side of the car makes it look like the clam trunk by bangle in the front.
Mercedes get rid of the clam hood look! It looks ugly.
Mercedes shouldn't be following BMW design they should be following Audi design. Audi sales are way up because they are designing elegantly sporty looking automobiles. Audi's problem currently is that their engines are not up to par in hp or torque.

:word:

Quackledork 05-05-2009 12:24 AM

I remember when the w211 first came out. I thought it looked like a Taurus and hated it. Then it grew on me a little more. I went and test drove a 2003 E-class and loved it and decided to lease one. I was completely satisfied with the car and since have leased another 09 E350.

It still looks a little like a Taurus. But, I got over that.

My point is - let it grow on you. I agree, there are some design elements I do not like. I think the interior is ugly and very BMWish. I hate the "dual hump" of the IP and the Nav cowl. BMW does that and its hideous and looks tacked on.

However, some things look really nice. The waterfall lighting looks awesome.

Sometimes it takes a while to adjust to a new design. When I see one in real life, I'll make my judgment then.

K-A 05-05-2009 12:29 AM

Personally, from what I've experienced is I know if I'll like a design when I see one (not arguing at all, just stating my experience), which is what bums me out about this E. I'll study the lines and look at cars for hours upon hours to see if they rub me the right way.

When the W220, and W211's came out I was blown away (positively). Even with the W204 I thought it was okay even though I'm not too nuts about the car. I just feel this E will be like a Bangle design to me, one I'll always cringe about.

RR4 05-05-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS (Post 3501585)

The reason the W212 car looks like it does is not by chance. It's because of market research.
Manufacturers in this category through market research found that potential buyers actually want exactly what you described, ie a car with an unassuming generic look. People are actually going away from identifiably unique looking cars. Thats why the Camry, Sonata, and A6 this all have this similar look. Believe it or not.

K-A 05-05-2009 04:46 PM

^ The only problem with that is M-B has never been one to follow trends or fashion and have prided themselves in that. It seems since they've been riding on their high horse for so long, that now that they're in a relative slump (quality hurt the brand in recent years now Sales are down due to the aftermath of that and the Economy) they don't know how to handle themselves and are giving up on some of the brands ideals.

SolidGranite 05-27-2009 08:49 PM

Lets not forget the price has been dramatically reduced from the '09 model. Something to think about... However, I am not going to make my official opinion until I see one in person.

AsianML 05-27-2009 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 3500477)

EU regulations state that the navigation screen must be at around eye level, so they can't put the temp. controls up top.

DCist 05-27-2009 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 3506371)
^ The only problem with that is M-B has never been one to follow trends or fashion and have prided themselves in that. It seems since they've been riding on their high horse for so long, that now that they're in a relative slump (quality hurt the brand in recent years now Sales are down due to the aftermath of that and the Economy) they don't know how to handle themselves and are giving up on some of the brands ideals.

The wise K-A speaks....:y....and MB acts

http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom_...-coupe/en.html

chokaay 05-27-2009 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SolidGranite (Post 3545877)
Lets not forget the price has been dramatically reduced from the '09 model. Something to think about...

Which is exactly why I got mine last week, and my wife is thinking about upgrading her current car to a current E-class as well... :zoom:

Honestly, I HATED the E-Class a lot in the beginning (long long ago when they still had the "flat" fronts with HUGE vertical oval/round head lights), but with each revision, I liked it more and more.

The 2009 W211 is almost "perfect" for me! The only complaints I have are that I wish the center console/arm rest had more storage and was designed more efficiently with more usable space (like the S-Class, C-Class, or even the W203 C-Class... although that would probably "kill" the looks). LED Blinkers would be awesome too (although it's OK since at least we have LED Brake Lights). And standard or P1 Bi-Xenons would have been nice as well (although it's in P2, so I can't complain that much). Other than those nit-picky things, I really can't think of anything else that is "wrong" with the 2009 W211... :y

SolidGranite 05-28-2009 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by chokaay (Post 3546178)
Which is exactly why I got mine last week, and my wife is thinking about upgrading her current car to a current E-class as well... :zoom:

Honestly, I HATED the E-Class a lot in the beginning (long long ago when they still had the "flat" fronts with HUGE vertical oval/round head lights), but with each revision, I liked it more and more.

The 2009 W211 is almost "perfect" for me! The only complaints I have are that I wish the center console/arm rest had more storage and was designed more efficiently with more usable space (like the S-Class, C-Class, or even the W203 C-Class... although that would probably "kill" the looks). LED Blinkers would be awesome too (although it's OK since at least we have LED Brake Lights). And standard or P1 Bi-Xenons would have been nice as well (although it's in P2, so I can't complain that much). Other than those nit-picky things, I really can't think of anything else that is "wrong" with the 2009 W211... :y

What I was saying is the price on the W212 is at least 5k below the base price of the W211.

chilledbenz 05-29-2009 03:11 AM

Saw one in person today and was blown away! I have a 2008 C class so I'm used to the new plastic look, but the new E impresses in every way. For those that see it and still hate it, no worries, my dealership has a sea of 2009 E classes they can't get rid of, I'm sure other dealers are in the same boat. Mainly because those in the market for a E class want to wait for the new model, and the current model is long on the tooth, no one wants to spend new car money for a car that looks nearly the same as the one they are trading in.

silberrosa 05-29-2009 12:54 PM

I find myself moving in the direction of liking it as well. In person the proportions really work in my opinion. Of course the driving dynamics play a large part but I have heard / read they are clearly better than the 211. The 211, especially post-facelift has been a great car and moved the E in a much more exciting direction. It seems the 212 will pick up from this point and go further with a more aggressive car. I'm really looking forward to hearing some driving impressions from our fellow members.

Dema 05-29-2009 03:24 PM

My neighbor just got W210, very clean and shine. The car still looks very classy and appealing. Mercedes was able to create not aging look of their cars. I would love to get a fully loaded 09 E class paying $20K off sticker rather than crispy new W212 paying full sticker.

chilledbenz 05-29-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by silberrosa (Post 3548770)
I find myself moving in the direction of liking it as well. In person the proportions really work in my opinion. Of course the driving dynamics play a large part but I have heard / read they are clearly better than the 211. The 211, especially post-facelift has been a great car and moved the E in a much more exciting direction. It seems the 212 will pick up from this point and go further with a more aggressive car. I'm really looking forward to hearing some driving impressions from our fellow members.

I'm with you on that, I wanted to drive the one at my dealership but its only there for a preview event along with the E class coupe. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before production cars start hitting the dealers that way we can get behind the wheel for some comparisons.

Kieffer 05-30-2009 12:18 PM

My dealership said they are expecting them to be here for test drives in mid-June. Here's hoping.

NY_SG 05-30-2009 03:52 PM

I think the front of the W212 is AWESOME LOOKING! the back is kinda weird.

Overall its a good looking car.

451/443=EW 05-30-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by fgwinn (Post 3504182)
I had a chance to see the W212 in person at StarTECH this past weekend. I would trade my W211 for the W212 in a heartbeat. Once you guys see the car up close I think you will change your minds. We were wowed by a presentation of the W212 features delivered by MBUSA reps.

I agree, seeing the car in person, having sat in it. I really like this new car. As for styling, well thats your personal taste but it will grow on many.

mysticblu999 05-30-2009 11:26 PM

I want to cry I hate that thing so much... but then again when the 211 came out I hated it too now I think its way better than the 210