E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pacOracle
u r in luck my friend. I looked tirelessly on bulb replacement instructions and found nothing. I had to blindly maneuver my way around but finally figured it out. I ordered my lights and anxiously went about trying to get to the old lights b4 I even got the new ones. I hope the instructions help. If there are any corrections that anyone may have, please say so as I am no expert. Just someone who was successful with my own DIY methods.

With trunk completely open. Pry and grab a hold of the plastic panel that houses the trunk light and the trunk closing buttons and pull down. This will dislodge the 3 plastic push pins. (If there is a tool or correct procedure to remove the plastic pins please advise. As I stated “I am an amateur”) Now u will still have to pull the panel towards u to dislodge the panel from the trunk lid. It is being held on by 4 clips. Now unplug the trunk light wire and trunk closing wires. U will now have to remove the the trunk lid liner. It is being held down 6 plastic push pins. I did it by just yanking on the liner. (If there is a tool or correct procedure to remove the plastic pins please advise.) The liner is also tucked into the arm covers that hinges the trunk lid to the car. To remove this, you will have to remove 2 more plastic push pins. Once the liner is loosened from the trunk lid, u will need to unplug the emergency trunk release wire. Now u should have open access to the back and internal top area of the license plate. If you’re just replacing the bulb, this is as far as u have to go as u now have access. If u are replacing the license plate light housings to one that houses a led light then u will have to remove the plastic plate that encloses the key lock, license plate lights, and the reverse camera. Unplug the license plate wires and the outer electric trunk release wire. The outside plastic plate is being held to the trunk by 3 or 4 white plastic lock pins. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze and push them out. The electric trunk release is attached to the plastic plate. It is being wedged to the trunk lid. It will look like it is a part of the release unit but just grab it and slide it down. It shouldn’t require much force. (Sorry, can’t really describe it) Once slid out of place, the plastic plate and trunk release can be removed. U now have access to the license plate light housings.

I hope this helps. Never created instructions before. It’s harder than I thought it would be.
I just did it myself.... yeeeha Thank you pacOracle for your clear instruction. I received the LED from JBSpeed today and I literally followed your instruction line by line. It took me about 1 hr to complete the job. it needs a leap of faith to pry and pull those clips. I used mini flat screw driver to get my normal size two flat screw drivers underneath the clip and twisted it/ pull it. The good thing, I did not brake any of the clips... yeay....

Then the plastic panel was held by the two metal pins... it took some efforts to pull it..The rests, I was getting better and quicker when removing the clips...

Again, Thank you again for you instruction pacOracle. Awesome Forum.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Ok well it's alittle harder than explained if u have never done anythin like this, I tried to change it out and I felt like I was going to break it, I took it to a local custom shop and they charged me $10 bux to
Change and the guy did it In 10 mins, theres a plastic housing unit behind the whole thing so do not try to yank it out it will break, I dunno $10 is way worth the time and those guys have broken one or two before so they know exactly what to do, change my side marker lights and it was 100 times eaiser than this, I'd recommend take this and get it done by someone whos done it before, it actually really changes the look of the car at night.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What LED plate light did you go with (brand)? A shop told me that they'd do it for like $35, which now seems steep compared to what you got it done for.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM

E350
Well I provided te LED light the ones shops use are not as bright as the ones you can order, I got mine from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5206wt_1135) this is the brightest one you can order. Actually last nite I noticed that the right side wasn't working so I'm gonna take it back to the shop to see if the connection got loose or the LED light burned, I'll let u know before u order, when I said $10 I meant just for installation. Which is still great. Most shops only change ur bulb, I changed the whole unit which is the brightest it's going to get, they just change the bulb to a single stronger one, this is actuall leD light so the difference is huge! I'll keep u updated.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Interesting, yeah failures and such are what I'm worried about as well. It seems ALL the Ebay offerings are TOO bright. I don't want it to distract from my cars styling, or to look ricer-y, I just want a crisp white light. I may just wait until the '12 W212's come out with them, so they'll be available for order via OEM parts dept.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 PM

E350
I'll take a few pictures and you can be the judge it looks great IMO.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Cool, thanks and I appreciate it! I'm trying to find an aftermarket company that is just the right amount of bright. It seems some go overboard, but please share! Also keep us posted about the malfunction.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM

E350
I'll take a few pictures and you can be the judge it looks great IMO.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM

E350
heres a picture let me know what you think, I personally think it looks just fine
Attached Thumbnails Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?-photo.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Looks good! Seems to not overpower the car in that pic. I've seen some LED lic plate lights that extend all the way to the bumper, which is terrible.

A worthwhile mod. I'll wait 'till the 2012's hit the roads and I probably inevitably get bothered by their LED lic plate lights to do it, lol.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 PM

E350
heres a picture from the front end, you thinking about changing that MB hood emblem? it changes the whole cars look, let me know what you think of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?-photo1.jpg   Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?-photo2.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Car looks great! Perfect combo of clean-up mods to enhance it but keep it OEM quality.

I personally love the stand up Star, and especially now that it's exclusive to just the E and S Classes, I plan on keeping it on. I love the view of it from inside the car as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Are you in SoCal? If you are, post up the Shops info!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM

E63 '10
i just did this to my moms e63
thanks for the instructions!
ill post a picture when it gets dark in LA
i just ordered 2 SMD led 2625 bulbs from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3149wt_1167

thats the link.
i dont know if ill get in trouble if i do let me know and ill remove it ASAP
Old 08-14-2011, 04:56 PM

E63 '10
did you try flipping the bulb? i know LEDS actually have a + and - so you need to line them up correctly.

Last edited by germyko; 08-14-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the Link. How hard was it to install? Keep us posted on whether it puts up any codes.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

2007 mercedes E350
you guys dont need to beleve me but alot of people say that led license plate lights make red light camras harder to take a picture of your plate ....
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM

2007 mercedes E350
how do i change the license plate lights on my 2007 mercedes e350.. just unscrew the screws next to the light cover?
Attached Thumbnails Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?-img_0334.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Thanks for this post! I just completed my LED License plate install...wish I wouldve of read the whole thread but whatever, I like learning the hard way lol. My hurdle was removing the plastic piece under the chrome trim. I found out after yanking the sides I scratched my paint (should of put a towel, like recommended by other users). Found out theres a bracket that you pull down and away on the back of the trunk handle once that was removed it was all down hill from there! The instructions were a great guide and the lights look awesome. If I buy new LEDS or if I need to swap them out, I'll know exactly what to do next time!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by pacOracle
u r in luck my friend. I looked tirelessly on bulb replacement instructions and found nothing. I had to blindly maneuver my way around but finally figured it out. I ordered my lights and anxiously went about trying to get to the old lights b4 I even got the new ones. I hope the instructions help. If there are any corrections that anyone may have, please say so as I am no expert. Just someone who was successful with my own DIY methods.

With trunk completely open. Pry and grab a hold of the plastic panel that houses the trunk light and the trunk closing buttons and pull down. This will dislodge the 3 plastic push pins. (If there is a tool or correct procedure to remove the plastic pins please advise. As I stated “I am an amateur”) Now u will still have to pull the panel towards u to dislodge the panel from the trunk lid. It is being held on by 4 clips. Now unplug the trunk light wire and trunk closing wires. U will now have to remove the the trunk lid liner. It is being held down 6 plastic push pins. I did it by just yanking on the liner. (If there is a tool or correct procedure to remove the plastic pins please advise.) The liner is also tucked into the arm covers that hinges the trunk lid to the car. To remove this, you will have to remove 2 more plastic push pins. Once the liner is loosened from the trunk lid, u will need to unplug the emergency trunk release wire. Now u should have open access to the back and internal top area of the license plate. If you’re just replacing the bulb, this is as far as u have to go as u now have access. If u are replacing the license plate light housings to one that houses a led light then u will have to remove the plastic plate that encloses the key lock, license plate lights, and the reverse camera. Unplug the license plate wires and the outer electric trunk release wire. The outside plastic plate is being held to the trunk by 3 or 4 white plastic lock pins. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze and push them out. The electric trunk release is attached to the plastic plate. It is being wedged to the trunk lid. It will look like it is a part of the release unit but just grab it and slide it down. It shouldn’t require much force. (Sorry, can’t really describe it) Once slid out of place, the plastic plate and trunk release can be removed. U now have access to the license plate light housings.

I hope this helps. Never created instructions before. It’s harder than I thought it would be.
Thanks for the help! Here's my LED's freshly installed!
Attached Thumbnails Trying to change out the license plate lights - anyone know how to get to them?-img_5606.jpg