Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by mava350
Neither. Here's a quick and dirty pic:

Z4 M Coupe. This is my weekend fun car with the wife; purposely two seats so no kids can ride with us!
Ah, well. Then if you're not keeping it and want to replace it with an AMG then you have no choice but this:

Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
Ah, well. Then if you're not keeping it and want to replace it with an AMG then you have no choice but this:

I might be persuaded with a 4 door though! I know... but the back seats wont be occupied!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
As I promised S220, I went to the showroom in Berlin to check out the E63 I'd seen the other day. It had Alcantara, the seats were in AMG nappa leather in fact were even the dashboard. It had what we call the AMG Exclusive package for $6.000.
Attached Thumbnails First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-showroom.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-e63_2.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-e63_1.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-e63_8.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-e63_7.jpg  

First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-e63_5.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Here are also some pics from regular W/S212:s. Showing the dash covered in Artico Leather/MB-Tex. And one car with aluminum panels. Also showing the black leather with white stitches you get with the AMG-package. Unfortunately I won't get the white stitching since I ordered multi contour seats... It would have been a nice touch with the white exterior.
Attached Thumbnails First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-212_1.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-212_2.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-212_3.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-212_4.jpg   First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350-212_5.jpg  

Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the pics, ipp.

At least in the ROW it looks like these are now options. Maybe they will be available here(?) So far there's no indication of that.

But the bottom line is that there was certainly cost cutting going on to be able to reduce the MSRP. At least here in the US. So if one wants what was standard just last year, then one will have to pay extra. And so the MSRP price reduction doesn't mean that much.

Did the MSRP also get reduced in the ROW? Or was it just in the North American market? ipp, is the price structure now less in Sweden than it was last year?

It'll be interesting what will happen to the price when the motors get upgraded next year. Will the MSRP rise in reflection of that? (and maybe with a better economy, too?) This current reduction of MSRP could be short lived simply as an intro to the W212, etc..
Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM

2010 E350
If an option is offered in a car somewhere can't you pretty much get it via a special order? I've heard of getting a heated steering wheel, for instance, even though it doesn't show up on the options list for the US. I've never done this myself, though. What are the limits on special orders?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Wow, nice to see Europe still isn't messing around (at least with the available options). I haven't seen a Leather wrapped dash on an E-Class before. In the U.S, even AMG buyers are stuck with the hard, plasticized interior in the 212.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 AM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
Hi folks,

Well the title says it all. I picked up a 2010 MB E350 last week and wow am I impressed. Long time BMW M series owner I wanted to get my wife some of the creature comforts she likes. After test driving various brands we ultimately selected the E350. It's just absolutely beautiful to look at.

It's fully loaded based on the dealer comments and referencing against the other E350's they had on the lot. Here's the options list:

Palladium Silver
Natural Beige Leather
Black Ash Wood

Accessory Styling Package (Read Deck and Roof Spoiler)
PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
Split Folding Rear Seats
Rear Side Airbags
Panorama Sunroof
Drive Dynamic Multicontour Driver Seat w/ Massage
P2 Premium Package
Sport Package
Driver Assistance Package

It'll be interesting to see how she holds up with all of the electronics (something I'm somewhat concerned with). However the car has been a pleasure to drive. Ask the wife; she won't let me borrow the keys!

Here's the proverbial pictures:

I love the P2 package front... Distronic panel in grill

Panorama roof

Triangle is the blind spot indicator

Comfort seats

Wife displaying her school pride!

Regards all, Mac
I bought my wife a 550 and took delivery last week. It is Identical in everyway.

with a new E550 I bought for my wife. The car has the following:

Palladium Silver
Natural Beige Leather
Black Ash Wood
Rear Deck & Roof Spoiler
Parktronic with Parking Guidance
Split Folding Rear Seats
Pano
Dynamic Seats w/Massage Driver side
P2
Sport Package (5 spoke Wheels)

We ordered the car last year (September on her Birthday) and finally got it today. My wife drove it home from the dealer while I played with the Command. It's much better than my 2008 S65. Like the iPod interface and the Navigation with Highway and more info. Amazing what 2 years does regarding technology with MB. I'm jealous already with the new gadgets etc.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 AM

'10 E350 Sport
Thanks for the pics, ipp.

At least in the ROW it looks like these are now options. Maybe they will be available here(?) So far there's no indication of that.

But the bottom line is that there was certainly cost cutting going on to be able to reduce the MSRP. At least here in the US. So if one wants what was standard just last year, then one will have to pay extra. And so the MSRP price reduction doesn't mean that much.

Did the MSRP also get reduced in the ROW? Or was it just in the North American market? ipp, is the price structure now less in Sweden than it was last year?

It'll be interesting what will happen to the price when the motors get upgraded next year. Will the MSRP rise in reflection of that? (and maybe with a better economy, too?) This current reduction of MSRP could be short lived simply as an intro to the W212, etc..
Given that this is the first year and cars typically have a 7 or so year lifecycle, I wouldn't be surprised that those options come over to keep sales up and the design fresh.

I say that the ROW configs will transfer to us in America... it's just a matter of time.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 AM

'10 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac
I bought my wife a 550 and took delivery last week. It is Identical in everyway.

with a new E550 I bought for my wife. The car has the following:

Palladium Silver
Natural Beige Leather
Black Ash Wood
Rear Deck & Roof Spoiler
Parktronic with Parking Guidance
Split Folding Rear Seats
Pano
Dynamic Seats w/Massage Driver side
P2
Sport Package (5 spoke Wheels)

We ordered the car last year (September on her Birthday) and finally got it today. My wife drove it home from the dealer while I played with the Command. It's much better than my 2008 S65. Like the iPod interface and the Navigation with Highway and more info. Amazing what 2 years does regarding technology with MB. I'm jealous already with the new gadgets etc.
That sounds AWESOME!! I'm always on the lookout for new E cars around my roads. They are far and few in between...now.

Congrats to you and your wife.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 AM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
Thanks she loves it. It was just so odd to see the identical car. I had to look in the garage to make sure her car was still there .Too weird

Your PICs are much better then mine. I used my phone camera and was in a bit of a hurry. But your PICS makes the car much nicer looking.

Enjoy...
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Given that this is the first year and cars typically have a 7 or so year lifecycle, I wouldn't be surprised that those options come over to keep sales up and the design fresh.

I say that the ROW configs will transfer to us in America... it's just a matter of time.
For those folks new to MB, you will not know the difference. e.g., the alcantara and the nappa leather was standard on the E63 since its conception. It was never an option. Those ROW configurations were here already, and as standard equipment. But MB removed them to save money. They aren't bringing in those options to "keep sales up and the design fresh." Those options were already here as standard fare. They took them away.

Yes, normally what you say is the case (a 7 year life cycle) with new models. But this is not a new car. It's an E63 with the same motor since 2007. The MCT comes from the SL. Part of the chassis comes from the C Class. The rest of it is identical to the previous models. The difference is the body and interior design.

MB owners can see the differences with the cost cutting. It's there and clearly obvious.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Last year a unequipped E320 CDI sedan was 455.900 ($64.400) and this year a E350 CDI is 471.900 ($66.600) it's the same engine, different name. So thats just 16.000 ($2.200) the price have gone up, and they have had added a little extra features as standard, such as bluetooth phone. So it's a small price jump to be a new model, but you can't say the price has gone down very much.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, nice to see Europe still isn't messing around (at least with the available options). I haven't seen a Leather wrapped dash on an E-Class before. In the U.S, even AMG buyers are stuck with the hard, plasticized interior in the 212.
The interior materials (e.g., dash and door areas) aren't "smooth," but they're not really hard plasticized either. It's somewhere in between. I was never sure what material it was, but based on what ipp said I guess it's MB-Tex or leather. (My interior looks like what is in ipp's second picture set, except in tan.)

However, the dash and doors in the first set (E63) do look better - very nice. Does suck for US E63 buyers that they don't get the same extras anymore. Considering how much the car costs even after the price reduction, I'd probably be a little disappointed.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Rowrbazzle
The interior materials (e.g., dash and door areas) aren't "smooth," but they're not really hard plasticized either. It's somewhere in between. I was never sure what material it was, but based on what ipp said I guess it's MB-Tex or leather. (My interior looks like what is in ipp's second picture set, except in tan.)

However, the dash and doors in the first set (E63) do look better - very nice. Does suck for US E63 buyers that they don't get the same extras anymore. Considering how much the car costs even after the price reduction, I'd probably be a little disappointed.
Yeah, I don't get why the U.S doesn't get those luxuries, I mean compared to prior AMG's, returning customers can't help but notice the mighty decontenting.

Maaybe, they're gonna bring this stuff back with the TT models? Although, now they'd probably charge for the luxuries the past AMG E's had standard.

I agree with you about the doors, not a complete hard plastic, like the door arm rests on my Chevy, but definitely harder and more, I'd say "rubbery" in a way, than my 211's.

I think the E63 probably has the same exact door material than the other E's actually?

Last edited by K-A; 01-16-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I think the E63 probably has the same exact door material than the other E's actually?
Yeah, that's right. It does.

They no longer have the soft, plush-filled pleated and smooth Nappa leather area above the door's armrest found in the 2009 and previous models. It not only cushions my arm and elbow on long trips (it feels really great; nice and soft and squishy), but it was actually a MB hallmark until the W212 came along. Now it's just a non-functional fake copy of what it once was. Like a phony pair of Santoni shoes that you can't wear.

I guess the MBAs in the suits over at the Daimler AG accounting department are giddy with their new scorched earth policy. Hey, it keeps the shareholders happy I suppose.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Hi folks,

Well the title says it all. I picked up a 2010 MB E350 last week and wow am I impressed. Long time BMW M series owner I wanted to get my wife some of the creature comforts she likes. After test driving various brands we ultimately selected the E350. It's just absolutely beautiful to look at.

It's fully loaded based on the dealer comments and referencing against the other E350's they had on the lot. Here's the options list:

Palladium Silver
Natural Beige Leather
Black Ash Wood

Accessory Styling Package (Read Deck and Roof Spoiler)
PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
Split Folding Rear Seats
Rear Side Airbags
Panorama Sunroof
Drive Dynamic Multicontour Driver Seat w/ Massage
P2 Premium Package
Sport Package

It'll be interesting to see how she holds up with all of the electronics (something I'm somewhat concerned with). However the car has been a pleasure to drive. Ask the wife; she won't let me borrow the keys!

Here's the proverbial pictures:

I love the P2 package front... Distronic panel in grill

Panorama roof

Triangle is the blind spot indicator

Comfort seats

Wife displaying her school pride!

Regards all, Mac
Congratulations!

I'm hoping to read a full review about it soon from your spouse. And I'm hoping that you'll compare the handling capabilities of the new car with your BMW.

But first, Break in time.

Private message me if you ever do a review or a comparison. I wouldn't want to miss it!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, that's right. It does.

They no longer have the soft, plush-filled pleated and smooth Nappa leather area above the door's armrest found in the 2009 and previous models. It not only cushions my arm and elbow on long trips (it feels really great; nice and soft and squishy), but it was actually a MB hallmark until the W212 came along. Now it's just a non-functional fake copy of what it once was. Like a phony pair of Santoni shoes that you can't wear.

I guess the MBAs in the suits over at the Daimler AG accounting department are giddy with their new scorched earth policy. Hey, it keeps the shareholders happy I suppose.
Exactly. I love the armrest on the 211, so plush and squishy, first thing I noticed when I sat in the 212 was it's literal "hard-copy" of it. I was like "where the F is the soft stuff, and what is this rubbery substance"?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

2010 E350
A lot of 212 envy going on here. The 212 is diffferent and the 211 is now "dated" looking.

Last edited by blazeone; 01-17-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by K-A
I was like "where the F is the soft stuff, and what is this rubbery substance"?
Perhaps the new material is to keep the W211 bubbles stay away? Although I did not face any of those bubbles even if several W211 owners complain about the issue.

I assume the basic options in the US have approached those of the Euro cars, leather at different parts of the interior needs better options for the car, more than previously?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps the new material is to keep the W211 bubbles stay away? Although I did not face any of those bubbles even if several W211 owners complain about the issue.

I assume the basic options in the US have approached those of the Euro cars, leather at different parts of the interior needs better options for the car, more than previously?
Actually was talking about the door material, which I've never heard bubbling (the whole thing is like a pillow-bubble itself). I've heard of the "butterfly" style early center console leather bubbling however, but I got the roll-top, so I guess I'm in the clear. The 212 got the butterfly style center console arm-rest itself, curious to see if it itself will bubble too, maybe a different material.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blazeone
A lot of 212 envy going on here. The 212 is diffferent and the 211 is now "dated" looking.
Wrong. It's not envy, it's disappointment. A disappointment in the cost cutting MB is doing. Some of us happen to interested and knowledgeable in MB (its history of manufacturing, innovation, and racing pedigree) beyond just driving one. Saying it's envy is a common retort by someone who doesn't know what else to say due to naivete.

fwiw, I bought my 2009 E63 new in May of 2009. When the W212 was available (and the E63 was to arrive in September.) And I was in no hurry to buy a car (I have more than one.) I specifically wanted a W211 E63 and so I bought one. I could have easily bought a W212 E63

There's no envy at all. Sorry. Oh, and I drive a "dated" Porsche, too. Why? Because it was hand built (not assembly line built) and the body style is, um, dated (in your words.) The last of the air cooled wide bodies. A "dated" body style that is so sought after, it has held its resale value way above normal.

Some of us are actual car enthusiasts and don't buy cars just to have the latest thing on the block. It's meaningless to a real car enthusiast; we buy the car we want, whether it's 15 years old or brand new.

Same reason why a E46 is desired by some over a E60, for example. I don't know of a single enthusiast who would be "embarrassed" driving a E46 M5 over the E60.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
As K-A points out, I was talking about the door, not the center console, which was replaced by the roll top anyway, so that is all moot.

Last edited by 220S; 01-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 PM

2010 E350
Wrong. It's not envy, it's disappointment. A disappointment in the cost cutting MB is doing. Some of us happen to interested and knowledgeable in MB (its history of manufacturing, innovation, and racing pedigree) beyond just driving one. Saying it's envy is a common retort by someone who doesn't know what else to say due to naivete.

fwiw, I bought my 2009 E63 new in May of 2009. When the W212 was available (and the E63 was to arrive in September.) And I was in no hurry to buy a car (I have more than one.) I specifically wanted a W211 E63 and so I bought one. I could have easily bought a W212 E63

There's no envy at all. Sorry. Oh, and I drive a "dated" Porsche, too. Why? Because it was hand built (not assembly line built) and the body style is, um, dated (in your words.) The last of the air cooled wide bodies. A "dated" body style that is so sought after, it has held its resale value way above normal.

Some of us are actual car enthusiasts and don't buy cars just to have the latest thing on the block. It's meaningless to a real car enthusiast; we buy the car we want, whether it's 15 years old or brand new.

Cheers.
Blah ,blah, blah. Don't compare a 211 to a classic car
Old 01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blazeone
Blah ,blah, blah. Don't compare a 211 to a classic car
Thanks. You proved my point.

(i.e., you have nothing constructive to say)

Last edited by 220S; 01-17-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ahh, the old "212 envy" thing. Very constructive and factual. Whatever makes you feel better about your purchase.

I happen to like the 211's CLASSIC styling.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350