MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Have you racked up that sport front end? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/335025-have-you-racked-up-sport-front-end.html)

jmbaker3 01-22-2010 01:43 PM

Have you racked up that sport front end?

I like the sport version of the E 350. My wife likes the luxury because she is afraid she will run the sport front end into a curb, etc. In fact, she will.

Has anyone had this issue with damage?

charliele729 01-22-2010 02:42 PM

I believe the sport version is barely 1" lowe if that, but either both version are quite low for stock.

samkimg 01-22-2010 05:47 PM

Curb Height

I can pull into a parking place over the curb with mine at stock height ... but I don't tempt fate to often.

blazeone 01-22-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by samkimg (Post 3905816)
I can pull into a parking place over the curb with mine at stock height ... but I don't tempt fate to often.

:word:

Nevada Jack 01-22-2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jmbaker3 (Post 3905500)
I like the sport version of the E 350. My wife likes the luxury because she is afraid she will run the sport front end into a curb, etc. In fact, she will.

Has anyone had this issue with damage?

I don't thing there is any AMG package MB that does not have some scrapes under the front bumper... but I am always cautious on how close I get to the parking space concrete blocks..

shaffras 01-23-2010 08:32 PM

If you have Parktronic it will signal you when not to go any further. I have found it very good at sensing the hight of a curb.

silberrosa 01-23-2010 09:21 PM

If you live somewhere where the road conditions are less than ideal (anywhere in the Northeast), you may consider the extra padding offered by the 17" wheels on the luxury sedan.

R KLASSE 01-23-2010 11:53 PM

I got my wife a W204 sport originally, my wife is equally a car nut and very careful with our cars but she scrapped the front of that car multiple times in the 2 years we owned it. I wish MB would make a feature built into the airmatic system that had a sensor to raise the front suspension an 1"-2" when approaching a driveway or curb.

The new E-Class sits low in the rear too and has quite a bit more rear overhang, anyone scrape the tailpipes yet? One time I scrapped the tailpipes backing out of a friends driveway with our old W204.

HiTach 01-24-2010 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think there is a noticeable difference in height, the front spoilers have different shapes, but they looked to have the same clearance to me.

K-A 01-25-2010 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by R KLASSE (Post 3907413)
I got my wife a W204 sport originally, my wife is equally a car nut and very careful with our cars but she scrapped the front of that car multiple times in the 2 years we owned it. I wish MB would make a feature built into the airmatic system that had a sensor to raise the front suspension an 1"-2" when approaching a driveway or curb.

The new E-Class sits low in the rear too and has quite a bit more rear overhang, anyone scrape the tailpipes yet? One time I scrapped the tailpipes backing out of a friends driveway with our old W204.

I've scraped my tails going up some driveways. However, I find my car (pre-F.L W211 w/ AMG Package) to have a lower suspension than any other factory E-Class yet, dunno why, as even the '07+ Sports seem to sit higher, as do the W212 Sports it seems.

It looks like the Sport W212 sits just a smidge lower in the front than the Luxury, or at least the bumper goes lower, but surprisingly not as much as you'd think.

I've lived with cars slammed on the ground practically, so I'm used to front ends that scrape on everything, and my AMG bumper has been a breeze, only once did I scrape a (super high) curb, aside from that, no probs, although I'm trained in being careful with it.

I think the AMG bumpers give more of a lower illusion than an actual "on the floor" bumper.

220S 01-25-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 3909090)
I've scraped my tails going up some driveways. However, I find my car (pre-F.L W211 w/ AMG Package) to have a lower suspension than any other factory E-Class yet, dunno why, as even the '07+ Sports seem to sit higher, as do the W212 Sports it seems.

It looks like the Sport W212 sits just a smidge lower in the front than the Luxury, or at least the bumper goes lower, but surprisingly not as much as you'd think.

I've lived with cars slammed on the ground practically, so I'm used to front ends that scrape on everything, and my AMG bumper has been a breeze, only once did I scrape a (super high) curb, aside from that, no probs, although I'm trained in being careful with it.

I think the AMG bumpers give more of a lower illusion than an actual "on the floor" bumper.

Yeah I agree these cars aren't that bad at all. My E63 is lower than my previous E350 (sport) but I can at least raise it; and I have to raise it each time in our stupidly steep driveway (going both in and out) or I'll scrape the tips. The W212 E63 doesn't have that lift option anymore of course. I'd have to park it on the street.

But the P-car is so bad that I have to keep it at a friend's garage in the Palisades. It won't go up or down the driveway without ripping itself apart. :tear:

(we're selling the house here and moving up to SB; priority for her in the new house was the kitchen and bathtubs. WTF, what's a bathtub? :rolleyes:
For me it was the driveway angle and the size of the man cave. :D )

chokaay 01-25-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack (Post 3906106)
I don't thing there is any AMG package MB that does not have some scrapes under the front bumper... but I am always cautious on how close I get to the parking space concrete blocks..

I agree. Sometimes I've scraped my bumper pulling too far forward into a space (although in a couple areas you need to decide which is worse... risk scraping your bumper or risk someone backing into/hitting your rear). Other times it's driving down a very steep driveway/incline straight and scraping at the bottom (going 1mph at an angle avoids this). And still other times it's going over dips in the road too fast (when they look more shallow and flat than they actually are).

It hurts every time my bumper gets scraped, but I've learned that it's the "way of life" owning an AMG/sport-style car with a bumper significantly lower to the ground than my old 2002 luxury-style C240. :nix:

gaazmon 01-25-2010 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by HiTach (Post 3908743)
I don't think there is a noticeable difference in height, the front spoilers have different shapes, but they looked to have the same clearance to me.

wait, isn't it the same bumper up front? I know the rear is different (oval vs trapezoid exhausts). The height difference isn't even an inch.

petee1997 01-26-2010 11:08 AM

I have not scraped the front bumper cover to date. However I managed to rub my rocker panel moulding on a frozen piece of ice in a parking lot. It cracked due to the cold. Part replacement including labour and paint, $1,037.00. Shocking, to say the least.