MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Non-HID headlight bulb change (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/335631-non-hid-headlight-bulb-change.html)

icelandicmax 01-26-2010 11:55 AM

Non-HID headlight bulb change

Just bought a pair of PiAA extreme whites plus that will replace the non-HID headlamps. Has anyone changed their bulbs for greater light output? I just didn't want to shell out 6k+ for the P2 package on a lease. Read the manual for light bulb change, and will change them out sometime this wknd when the Piaa bulbs arrive. Hopefully not too difficult...

gcollier 01-26-2010 02:27 PM

Keep us updated. I have P1 package and I am interested in getting some brighter lights.

Eva350 01-26-2010 03:05 PM

Yup, changed out traditional halogen lights that came with p1 package. fairly simple to do, however allow yourself some time to do this right. the driver side, low beam light is hard to change (as per manual) as the space is pretty tight to get your hand in. I had to unhook the water reservoir and also one detach one of the hoses from the body. I finally asked the wife to turn the bulb as her hands are thinner than mine. Much happier with the white light now. good luck.

aeggroup 01-26-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by icelandicmax (Post 3911249)
I just didn't want to shell out 6k+ for the P2 package on a lease. ...

I just wanna clarify - P2 is not only HID light package ..it's much more than that...plus it cost about $2,800 more than P1

Good luck ...

mb4z 01-26-2010 07:27 PM

I think for 50K plus car HID lights should be standart, as well as heated front seats, push button ignition and leather seats. Or at least why not to make HID stand alone option? No, I don't own E350, but recently was on market for my first luxury car in this class and could not belive MB charges extra for those and decided to go with 2010 Infiniti M35.

icelandicmax 01-26-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mb4z (Post 3911876)
I think for 50K plus car HID lights should be standart, as well as heated front seats, push button ignition and leather seats. Or at least why not to make HID stand alone option? No, I don't own E350, but recently was on market for my first luxury car in this class and could not belive MB charges extra for those and decided to go with 2010 Infiniti M35.

agree wholeheartedly with you. Even my 02 maxima has HID that came standard with the vehicle. for me, lighting was a downgrade, but willing to look past that b/c of many more pluses w e350.

aeggroup 01-26-2010 09:56 PM

I agree with you about options, but I wouldn't switch MB or BMW to Lexus or Infinity. They are totally different animals in automobile world. If you like to drive the car - you get MB or BMW, if you like options and gadgets - you get Lexus or Infinity.

Good luck. :slap:

blazeone 01-27-2010 08:20 AM

I agree on the options. I owned a M35 a few years ago and they are no MB on mnay levels. To me the car had no character, just a bunch of tech. The driving dymanics are totally in favor of the MB also.

mb4z 01-27-2010 02:58 PM

I have to agree with you guys as well. It is a compromise, to give up something in order to get something else - choices, choices... wouldn't it be nice to get a car with driving dynamics of MB or BMW :zoom:and options and gadgets for the price of Lexus or Infinti :y

aeggroup 01-27-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mb4z (Post 3913133)
.. wouldn't it be nice to get a car with driving dynamics of MB or BMW :zoom:and options and gadgets for the price of Lexus or Infinti :y

Sounds like paradise to me :bow: ...too good to be true :crazy:

icelandicmax 01-28-2010 02:30 AM

changed out the light bulbs tonight. it was a b*tch to change them out, especially the driver's side one. will test them out on the road tomorrow. hope they're worth the bruises and scratches...

Kennyboy 01-28-2010 03:19 AM

show us soon

icelandicmax 05-01-2010 07:21 PM

still need to take pics on these- been bz. have had these for 3mo now, worth the trouble...

blackbullit 05-04-2010 04:34 PM

I ordered PIAA Extreme White bulbs as soon as my E550 (no P1 or P2) arrived. They dramatically improved nighttime visibility, as well as appearance of the car. As others have said, installation is painful but worth it! I also had to adjust headlight aim. MB factory had the headlights aimed at the ground!?!?!

I would like to also install PIAA EW bulbs in the running lights (stock are yellow). Anyone know the bulb type?

crazygordon 05-29-2010 03:24 PM

How are the PIAA lights? I would like to change to HID but worried about drilling a hole in the cover to the lamp. The PIAA would be a great simple alternative. Thanks and look forward to your response.

kimf70 05-30-2010 03:17 AM

Which specific PIAA model did you guys switch to and where did you order it from?
I am interested in the switch and would like to order one as soon as I know which one to order.

blackbullit 05-30-2010 03:43 PM

I switched to the PIAA Xtreme White H7 bulbs in low beam position. They create a very white light similar to HID. I bought from Bavarian Autosport (a BMW parts supplier) for about $10 less for 2 pack than PIAA manufacturer website. :)

dmikim 05-31-2010 06:44 PM

did you change the low beam bulbs only? what about the Side lamp/parking lamp: W 5 W. Did you also try to change them? Which lamps did you use? I'm asking because they seem yellow to me either and I wonder if it will look odd having low beam in white and the lamp next to it yellow. And also have you tried to change the DRL bulbs (round one)? What do you think about it?

kimf70 05-31-2010 10:57 PM

just placed an order for the H7 xtreme white plus. Looking forward to the switch. Anyone with pics illustrating the difference between the PIAA and OEM bulbs?

B189s 06-01-2010 05:37 PM

You guys should just get aftermarket HID kit and I never drilled my covers. You can just run the wires through the side of the cover, but you just need to force it until it secures/clicks.

That's how I always did it on my old car.

blackbullit 06-01-2010 05:46 PM

I would like to change all the bulbs (including parking and DRLs) but still am looking for the bulb type used in DRL lights. Only did the low beams so far. Stock DRLs are somewhat yellow. I still like them more than the hockey stick LEDs, though.

Taiwanese 06-01-2010 06:07 PM

PIAA H7 intense white or extreme white?
What site did you buy from?

kimf70 06-10-2010 01:41 PM

I just changed out the lights to extreme whites.

It took me about 2 minutes to change out the bulbs. I was patting myself on the back until I realized I changed out the high-beams. damn...

Changing out the low-beam on the driver side is a BIACH! (definitely took more than 2 min.) I wear 8.5 gloves (snug). Ultimately, I got it in. Damn. It was a chore.

OceanView 06-10-2010 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by B 189 NIQ (Post 4099553)
You guys should just get aftermarket HID kit and I never drilled my covers. You can just run the wires through the side of the cover, but you just need to force it until it secures/clicks.

That's how I always did it on my old car.

I would love to do that to my car but how do you get the parts?
OEM would be way too expensive to get and you never know if what you get on eBay would work for the car.

crazygordon 06-11-2010 09:03 AM

Go figure, HID as an option on a Benz while standard on a Camry. I bought an aftermarket for my GL and installation was painless after I removed the wiring from the OEM bulbs. Nice and bright.