MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Does all the E550 have airmatic suspension? Even the sport model? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/335900-does-all-e550-have-airmatic-suspension-even-sport-model.html)

Kennyboy 01-28-2010 03:14 AM

Does all the E550 have airmatic suspension? Even the sport model?

I am planning to purchase the E550 sport package, which I believe it has sport tuned suspension. But is the Airmatic suspension still here? Wouldn't it contradicting?

I saw some people have issue on their expensive airmatic suspension already? Is it something I sure deeply aware of?

Diesel Benz 01-28-2010 03:48 AM

All have airmatic. Where do you read about W212 Airmatic problems?

RickP330 01-28-2010 12:37 PM

I am also going through this, you should take a look at my other post.

E350 = Coil springs (no airmatic)
E550 = Airmatic - air springs and elecronically infinitely adjustable dampers

that sport tuned suspension garbage is confusing. I believe you get Comfort and Sports settings on both the luxury and Sport models. Perhaps the C/S settings are different between the two models but it's a programming only change. HTH

Kind regards,
Rick

Kennyboy 01-28-2010 09:24 PM

I think one of the E550 already has leak in his E550. That does sound pretty scary. I heard it's awfully expensive to repair

aeggroup 01-28-2010 09:55 PM

I know airmatic is reliable system, and if you buy a brand new car - you are worry free for at least 4 years of warranty period.

HiTach 01-28-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by RickP330 (Post 3914620)
I am also going through this, you should take a look at my other post.

E350 = Coil springs (no airmatic)
E550 = Airmatic - air springs and elecronically infinitely adjustable dampers

that sport tuned suspension garbage is confusing. I believe you get Comfort and Sports settings on both the luxury and Sport models. Perhaps the C/S settings are different between the two models but it's a programming only change. HTH

Kind regards,
Rick

The E350 has Sport/Comfort for transmission only
The E550 has separate Sport/Comfort switches for transmission and suspension.

emilner 01-28-2010 11:23 PM

I am the person who has had a problem with my airmatic. I have been back to the dealer 4 times to fix it, at the end of the day I have a one off bad car. It is not representative of airmatic cars in general. Even Honda lemons cars from time to time for bad engines, it just happens. I love the airmatic so much I will only buy a car that has it. MB is taking my car back and it looks like they found me a nice S550 to make up for the empty garage space :)

QuadBenz 01-28-2010 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by emilner (Post 3915478)
I am the person who has had a problem with my airmatic. I have been back to the dealer 4 times to fix it, at the end of the day I have a one off bad car. It is not representative of airmatic cars in general. Even Honda lemons cars from time to time for bad engines, it just happens. I love the airmatic so much I will only buy a car that has it. MB is taking my car back and it looks like they found me a nice S550 to make up for the empty garage space :)

That's awesome news! Congrats! I hope your new S550 is miles better! :y:y

Autobahn-Maniac 01-29-2010 12:07 AM

I don't what the law is in NY but if you bring a car back to any new car dealer in CA three times for the same problem and they can not fix it a Lemon Law comes into play. My wife had a 2005 MB E320 Estate Wagon. It had a problem with engine that they could not fix. It wasn't catastrophic but it was a sort a chronic problem on 2005 E320s. As a result of having the car in for unscheduled service 9 times in the course of 18 months, three of which was for the “engine thing” MBUSA bought the car back from us. We got about $4K less then what we paid for it and they did not require us to buy a MB. Wrote us a check and that was it. Bought a Volvo X90 then recently traded it in for a New 2010 E550 from the same MB dealer. However your dealer’s Service department has to be an advocate on your behalf with MBUSA. I have bought 5 cars from this particular MB dealer since 1999 so that probably helped. But I would challenge them on this one. GL

Kennyboy 01-29-2010 01:17 AM

Wow, direct trade? You got to be careful and make sure to keep all your repair documents. Just in case.

I had a 2003 BMW 330i, going back to the dealer from time to time (maybe 9 to 10 times, for the head light turn off while I was driving). At first they were cool, but we all started to get ignore by this issue. When I started to complain and asked for compensation, the general service manager literally told me to GO HOME! I was so pissed and I called Lemon Lawyer right after. After 5 months, BMW admits the fault and willing to compensate a reasonable amount of money.

Diesel Benz 01-29-2010 02:13 AM

Sounds like a leak issue that may be difficult to find. Do you have another thread explaining the symptoms you have observed, or is it "just" a corner going low when parked? Leaks may be difficult to find, hopefully not affecting all cars. I did find they have already another part number for the Airmatic strut, never know if there was something wrong with the first batch.

220S 01-29-2010 03:27 AM

:wootrock:

Congrats. Although sorry for the headaches and time spent. Overall, I like airmatic, too, despite it being maligned by a lot of people.

I know someone who had major headaches with the MCT in his SL63 (a common issue), got it lemon'ed, and ended up in a SL65. He had to pay the difference, of course, but MBUSA discounted it heavily.

Plus your S550 will be better looking. ;)
:tyson:

Be sure to post pics here before you move over to the W221 forums.

RickP330 01-29-2010 08:10 AM

MB is taking my car back and it looks like they found me a nice S550 to make up for the empty garage space :)

S550?

Okay - I don't even know you, but can I say "I hate you" :bow: LOL. I am super jelous but congrats bro! I hope you post some pics here - I'd love to see the car.

RickP