MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   slight blue window tint? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/336836-slight-blue-window-tint.html)

Kennyboy 02-04-2010 12:52 AM

slight blue window tint?

In the older MBs, there are a hint of blue tint layer on their windows. However, I don't see it in the new W212. Is it just my weak eye sight or is it true?

220S 02-04-2010 01:35 AM

The E Class did have blue windows (a dye in the glass) but apparently stopped that with the W212. It appears to be standard green glass now.

K-A 02-04-2010 09:21 AM

It's like I'm finding a new area they decontented every day.

Why would they do away with the blue glass, although my car has the green (which you can barely see it there), the blue was a great unique touch to M-B. :smash:

emilner 02-04-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 3924158)

Why would they do away with the blue glass, although my car has the green (which you can barely see it there), the blue was a great unique touch to M-B. :smash:

Agreed, I really liked the blue glass, especially when it rains- you can really see it then...

Kennyboy 02-04-2010 11:52 AM

I agree that the blue lookS better. Do you guys know the benefit of the tint? I guess just heat resist?

Kennyboy 02-04-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by emilner (Post 3924176)
Agreed, I really liked the blue glass, especially when it rains- you can really see it then...

Hey, show us your new S

emilner 02-04-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyboy (Post 3924341)
Hey, show us your new S

I am going to take pics next week. I rushed them on delivery so they never detailed it. It is going in Monday and I should have it back Tuesday, then comes pic time....

gaazmon 02-05-2010 12:22 AM

the blue glass was part of the appearance/sport package. With the 09 models, the sport package (not to be confused with AMG sport package) was phased out with the blue glass included. Now there is only the standard green.

as well, the 08+ C classes do not have the blue glass either and I think the 06+ CLKs don't as well.

ya, i love my blue glass. I can't stop debating whether to tint or not since I like the blue soooooo much.

u know what's interesting, i was looking at replacement cost for windshields and the blue glass was cheaper than the green one. but man, that heat insulated purple hue glass was through the roof compared to the other two.

Kennyboy 02-05-2010 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by gaazmon (Post 3925510)
the blue glass was part of the appearance/sport package. With the 09 models, the sport package (not to be confused with AMG sport package) was phased out with the blue glass included. Now there is only the standard green.

as well, the 08+ C classes do not have the blue glass either and I think the 06+ CLKs don't as well.

ya, i love my blue glass. I can't stop debating whether to tint or not since I like the blue soooooo much.

u know what's interesting, i was looking at replacement cost for windshields and the blue glass was cheaper than the green one. but man, that heat insulated purple hue glass was through the roof compared to the other two.

beside looking shape, do they serve another purpose? Heat insulation? Light reduce?

gaazmon 02-05-2010 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kennyboy (Post 3925514)
beside looking shape, do they serve another purpose? Heat insulation? Light reduce?

i believe they are for providing some heat insulation, but i can't really tell. now the type of glass that comes on the S/CL works really well. i can actually feel the difference (that's also why my garage door opener or radar detector doesn't work that well in our CL).

220S 02-05-2010 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
fwiw, my 2009 E350 had blue glass. In 2009, the only E350s available in the USA were the "AMG sports package." At least that's all I could find in SoCal and also what the dealers told me....

I don't think blue is really any better than green at UV protection. :nix:
Purely cosmetic, I would guess(?)

"Pilkington Arctic Blue™ High performance tint is a unique blue tinted float engineered for high daylight transmittance, good solar control and cool, comfortable color. It also provides a soft, undistorted, natural view from the interior."

gaazmon 02-05-2010 06:47 PM

so the 09s did still have blue glass? i wonder what option it came with since originally it would come with sport package and there was no sport package for that year, just AMG sport package. does ur 63 have it?

ya, i don't think the blue does anything better than the green, so probably just a way to minimize inventory. but man, that glass that comes on the S/CL really makes a difference.

o/t, i saw an 09 E550 at a dealer once and it was non-sport so it had the same rims as my car :crazy:

oh, and i think the CLS had it too, but idk if they still come with them. i know the 1st year they had it (MY06).

220S 02-05-2010 11:42 PM

Yeah, my 63 has it too.

pmb600 02-14-2010 03:04 AM

As far as I know, the blue versus green glass was only an appearance thing, neither had an advantage over the other. The purple infrared reflecting glass in S/CL and some GLs has a definite heat reflecting benefit.

K-A 02-14-2010 08:26 AM

My only issue with the purple tint on the S/CL's, is that they kind of look like you've got super ghetto, purpled tint on your car. Used to annoy me with my W220.

gaazmon 02-14-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 3938771)
My only issue with the purple tint on the S/CL's, is that they kind of look like you've got super ghetto, purpled tint on your car. Used to annoy me with my W220.

i love this feature, it's just really expensive to replace compared to the green/blue

chairman 02-14-2010 08:33 PM

My 07 E350 with the sport package included the blue tint. I was surprised to say the least. I am considering a new one later this year, sport package only, thank you. While I was at the dealer, they had a stunning E550 coupe (white/black). I had to hold myself back...

charliele729 04-02-2011 09:49 PM

I recently just had my windshied cracked on a the freeway, the cracked was about 10 inch long. I am getting it replaced this monday. My guy that I always do any kind of windshied work with told me that the PPG which is now PGW, the orginal glass which has a hint of blue to it (i never knew it did) cost about roughly 900 bucks for the glass alone. I got a Pilkington replacement with a really light grey tint to it along with a light grey shading on top which no longer comes with any OEM windshield anymore. I was really debating on the grey shade, but everyone at the shop said it will give the car more of a sportier look comparing to the OEM one. Doesnt matter to me how much it cost because deductible for me was only $50 for the whole windshield replacement. It was included in my mechanical breakdown coverage.

ImInPA 04-02-2011 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by K-A (Post 3924158)

I would seriously doubt there is a cost difference in the "dye" used to color the glass. So while change is certainly different, I would not consider this a de-content measure. It does remove a unique look though. Who knows what the designers were thinking. To me, de-contenting is where a lower quality part is used or eliminated altogether. Just my two cents.

ImInPA 04-02-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by charliele729 (Post 4604892)
I recently just had my windshied cracked on a the freeway, the cracked was about 10 inch long. I am getting it replaced this monday. My guy that I always do any kind of windshied work with told me that the PPG which is now PGW, the orginal glass which has a hint of blue to it (i never knew it did) cost about roughly 900 bucks for the glass alone. I got a Pilkington replacement with a really light grey tint to it along with a light grey shading on top which no longer comes with any OEM windshield anymore. I was really debating on the grey shade, but everyone at the shop said it will give the car more of a sportier look comparing to the OEM one. Doesnt matter to me how much it cost because deductible for me was only $50 for the whole windshield replacement. It was included in my mechanical breakdown coverage.

I too just had a windshield replaced on my 2011 E. There is no aftermarket replacements at this time so my insurance approved an OEM. It was over $900, and, it is not blue. St. Gobaine is the original glass company for MB.

charliele729 04-03-2011 06:25 PM

For the first year or two years, you can only buy replacement windshield from the dealer. No aftermarket is available until that probation period is over. By law, front windshields are not suppose to be tinted at all, so green or blue tint, it will not even be noticeable. My 2009 E says it came with a slight blue tint (according to the factory), It look quite clear to me. I cant wait until I get my new one on with a slight grey tint and grey shade band.

K-A 04-03-2011 06:58 PM

Is there any subtle green tint to the windshield on the 212, like there is for the side windows? Anyone know? This of course would be very not noticeable, but I'd assume that they'd have it for the slight UV protection (like the side windows).

silberrosa 04-03-2011 07:03 PM

No difference in cost for the glass. However, the blue is sort of cool and I have to say I miss it a bit.

charliele729 04-03-2011 07:50 PM

I/ve seen a green tint windshield and honestly it looks clear, same thing with my 2009 which says blue. Whatever the front is, it is not going to be noticeable. I Just though it was cool to have a slight grey with a sligth grey shade band. My Glass guy said the OEM blue tint is only costing more because it is not made as much (quantity wise).

johnnr 11-17-2014 10:04 PM

blue or green?

7 Attachment(s)
Anyone else have trouble seeing whether your windows are blue or green or....turquoise...sometimes green and sometimes blueish?
My clk 430...the driver side window sometimes looks green and sometimes more blue.

I thought I had the wrong color on my driver so I ordered one from a junkyard and they ensured me they sent a blue window. Well....I got it and it looks same as mine; sometimes green and sometimes blue. Weird!
Thoughts?

Mustangbru8 11-18-2014 01:22 PM

What about the accoustic glass that you see in the s classes, that has a bluish/gray tint to it. Isn't that an option for 2015 e's now?

BeachBunny 11-18-2014 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mustangbru8 (Post 6234665)
What about the accoustic glass that you see in the s classes, that has a bluish/gray tint to it. Isn't that an option for 2015 e's now?

It's an option...and I ordered it. As to what it looks like, I'll post or even take pics when I finally get the car delivered.