MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Can you add Xenons and LED to a P1 Car? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/344041-can-you-add-xenons-led-p1-car.html)

OceanView 03-26-2010 12:14 PM

Can you add Xenons and LED to a P1 Car?

I'm about to buy a new E350 with a P1 package and wonder if I can add
LED's and Xenons at a later time. Would this be a simple plug and play or does it require much more than just the parts?

Anyone know?

silberrosa 03-26-2010 12:23 PM

Given the integration required with the Bi-Xenon system it will be prohibitively expensive to add after the fact. Anything is possible, but if you want the factory lights it will require both hardware and software upgrades far beyond what you might expect vs. plug & play. In addition, the Bi-Xenon system includes a forward looking camera for the adaptive highbeam assist function. All this said, I would not plan on going this route if you want Bi-Xenon. You'll spend far more $$$$ than you would vs. buying them factory installed. Good Luck

alejotrujillo 03-26-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by silberrosa (Post 4003611)
Given the integration required with the Bi-Xenon system it will be prohibitively expensive to add after the fact. Anything is possible, but if you want the factory lights it will require both hardware and software upgrades far beyond what you might expect vs. plug & play. In addition, the Bi-Xenon system includes a forward looking camera for the adaptive highbeam assist function. All this said, I would not plan on going this route if you want Bi-Xenon. You'll spend far more $$$$ than you would vs. buying them factory installed. Good Luck

+1 Couldn't agree more

OceanView 03-26-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by silberrosa (Post 4003611)

I kinda knew that was the answer but was hoping someone might have modded an inexpensive fix for it.

Garagisti 03-30-2010 01:28 PM

Go with an aftermarket upgrade. Probably about $4-600 once its all said and done. By no means will this be the adaptive ones, but they will have the bi-xenon look I assume you are going for.

OceanView 03-30-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Garagisti (Post 4009900)
Go with an aftermarket upgrade. Probably about $4-600 once its all said and done. By no means will this be the adaptive ones, but they will have the bi-xenon look I assume you are going for.

Are you saying that I should get the parts and integrate it myself?
The last time I tried that on my W210 it didn't work out so well due to the Depo housing that was difficult to adjust and sensitive to bumps. Maybe it would be different on the W212.

If you know of a place or kits that are available, please let me know.

Thanks.

Garagisti 03-30-2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OceanView (Post 4009946)
Are you saying that I should get the parts and integrate it myself?
The last time I tried that on my W210 it didn't work out so well due to the Depo housing that was difficult to adjust and sensitive to bumps. Maybe it would be different on the W212.

If you know of a place or kits that are available, please let me know.

Thanks.

No, I'm saying you can get an aftermarket HID system and integrate that into the car. I'm doing one right now on a 2010 E350. Leave the housing alone, just get the HID system.

OceanView 03-30-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Garagisti (Post 4009953)
No, I'm saying you can get an aftermarket HID system and integrate that into the car. I'm doing one right now on a 2010 E350. Leave the housing alone, just get the HID system.

Oh Cool.
Are you gonna do a DIY thread on it?
I would love to see what you did.

I just got my car so I'm gonna hold off a bit till I can really figure out what to do before I start on this retrofit.

Garagisti 03-30-2010 03:29 PM

I didn't do a DIY, but I do have some pics of what I did. I'll post them up later.

doctordel 08-22-2010 01:22 PM

Did you ever post your results and pics?

Dema 08-22-2010 01:54 PM

I was in Great Mall last weekend and notice a booth of some company offering HID solution for any car. You could see assembled lights, separate lights, jus t bulbs and more. I guess you could also get professional consultation and figure how affordable it is. I guess you can see a similar booth in any big US mall.

YYZ-E55 08-22-2010 03:24 PM

If you add HID bulbs without changing the projectors, you're just going to spray light everywhere. You'll get the look while blinding everyone else on the road.

Halogen projectors != HID projectors in terms of optics.

Maddic 08-22-2010 03:42 PM

^Good point!

These guys may have the solution for your HID project! All I know so far for this to work is an aftermarket headlight mod. :D